Spare Air???

Old 08-10-2012, 08:49 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by inthetundra
Nope, name brand "Spare Air" comes in 1.7 and 3.0
Some other brands offer a few different ones up to a pony
Funny i should find you in this thread . Apparently the title of this thread drew us like moths to a flame . Remember guys if you have to go on compressed air to Never hold your breath upon risk of ruptured lungs . If you and your air supply become separated while underwater , exhale on the way up !! This way the expanding gas can escape without causing an embolism . I hope someone finds this information useful . deep
Old 08-10-2012, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by the deep
Funny i should find you in this thread . Apparently the title of this thread drew us like moths to a flame . Remember guys if you have to go on compressed air to Never hold your breath upon risk of ruptured lungs . If you and your air supply become separated while underwater , exhale on the way up !! This way the expanding gas can escape without causing an embolism . I hope someone finds this information useful . deep
How deep do you have to been for this to come into play...
Old 08-10-2012, 09:10 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Xtremeracing
How deep do you have to been for this to come into play...
Lay your bottle next to you in the bathtub , fill the tub as full as you can with water , lay down next to your bottle and take as big a breath as you can , hold your breath and set up . The air sacs (avioli) in your lungs will start to rupture . It is that critical !
Old 08-11-2012, 05:07 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey DEEP can u send me a phone number to contact u at...a pm would be fine thanks
Old 08-11-2012, 05:52 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

There are many configuation options available,,,
As a SCUBA Instructor, I think the most valuable tools are:
#1 SCUBA certification, experience and confort under water
#2 Then of of course air,,,
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails Spare Air???-watch-your-back-air-moto.jpg  
Old 08-11-2012, 06:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by the deep
Lay your bottle next to you in the bathtub , fill the tub as full as you can with water , lay down next to your bottle and take as big a breath as you can , hold your breath and set up . The air sacs (avioli) in your lungs will start to rupture . It is that critical !
NO,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Thanks for the information, but to expand on it, and correct some of your suggestions,,,,,,,,,,:
The inherent issues to a typical diver; (Nitrogen Narcosis, AEmbolism, Over-Expansion Injury, Bends) are not so inherent to a trapped racer. Most of these are due to depth, time, and accent rate, and in a boat racers the most critical issues are access to the air supply, amount of air supply, comfort with the system, and being able to mobilize out of the vessel with the co-pilot. Risks associated with depth and time are less of concern.
Air is 21%O2, and enriched air can be blend above 21% ( NITROX). Indeed that air embolism is a risk inherent in scuba diving, it would not apply to boat races in an overturned vessel. And like most physiological problems in scuba diving, the risk is due to the diver breathing air at high pressure .Holding the breath on ascent one of the causes of an air embolism. As the diver moves from high pressure at depth to a lower pressure at a shallower depth, but this is not really the issue for Boat races that roll-over. The pressure change in 3-5 feel is rarely going to result in a Air Embolism(AE) or Over-expansion Injury( OEI).
Most teams have enough scuba hose to leave the cockpit, swim out to the other side of the boat( 20'), so the effective depth is max 3-5'. At the end of the day, practice and familiarity is critical.

Cheers
Old 08-11-2012, 11:00 AM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Saratoga Stamped
Thanks for the information, but to expand . The pressure change in 3-5 feel is (rarely) going to result in a Air Embolism(AE) or Over-expansion Injury( OEI).
(Most teams) have enough scuba hose to leave the cockpit, swim out to the other side of the boat( 20'), so the effective depth is max 3-5'. At the end of the day, practice and familiarity is critical.

Cheers
I'm not going to get in to a long winded technical lesson about diving physics with anyone . Read my post again . It was simply stated and only meant to help someone unaware of the consequences of taking a panicked deep breath , loosing contact with the air supply , holding your breath and surfacing . Your 3-5 feet will cause an unwanted problem . V1/V2 = P2/P1 deep

Last edited by the deep; 08-11-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:45 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will have Spare Air in the new boat. I will need help holding Lee down to strap his on.
Orders for 08' DVC hulls now being taken.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve u r in the racers section this thread is for racers..........
Old 08-11-2012, 02:11 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Wink

Originally Posted by Xtremeracing
Steve u r in the racers section this thread is for racers..........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.