Notices

Sponsor Help

Old 02-03-2013, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sponsor Help

Sooo here is a quick background....I'm 28 and own a Marine business which obviously is going to take the major race expense for 2013. My question is how do you guys format yourselves and try to aquire more sponsors either industry or local. Do you guys email, cold call, or just shoot the BS with people.

Im just looking for a little help this year
Old 02-03-2013, 09:15 AM
Registered

There are so many sponsors out there it should be easy.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:20 AM
Registered

I understand im looking into how people go about seeing which sponsors fit their team and how they solicit them
Old 02-03-2013, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do you have a schedule yet to market with? Do you have any ROI verification programs in place? Bottom line, cash for decals on the side of your boat are basically a thing of the past, what can you and your team offer a potential "advertising partner"?
Old 02-03-2013, 10:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by F1-00 Racing
Do you have a schedule yet to market with? Do you have any ROI verification programs in place? Bottom line, cash for decals on the side of your boat are basically a thing of the past, what can you and your team offer a potential "advertising partner"?
this is what im looking for help on
Old 02-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ntrsspray
Sooo here is a quick background....I'm 28 and own a Marine business which obviously is going to take the major race expense for 2013. My question is how do you guys format yourselves and try to aquire more sponsors either industry or local. Do you guys email, cold call, or just shoot the BS with people.

Im just looking for a little help this year
I have used all 3 methods. Most national companies are only going to do product support. Don't turn your back on these deals as everything helps, plus you begin a relationship with a company that could expand if you represent them well. As Trent said, the days of cash for decals are mostly over. One way many teams have offset costs is to contact local businesses at race sights and trade billboard space on boat for food or lodging. Again everything helps.

And don't call or contact a company and ask for sponsorship. It is a marketing program.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Step 1: A schedule, w/o this you are pi$$ing in the wind, any advertiser that is putting in any kind of financial backing wants to know the MSA and demographical reach of the markets you will be racing in

things within your control
Step 2: Is your team setup in a corporate structure? LLC, etc Once you receive monies from advertisers Uncle Sam is looking for his cut, not necessary, but my recemendation is to set it up separately from any other business that you have

Step 3:you have to be setup socially, you need a team website, team facebook fan page, twitter, etc, these provide concrete numbers to potential's

Step 4: What is your pricing? either a tier system(ie gold, silver, bronze packages, etc) or creative sales techinques. You need to have an introductory marketing packet as well as a fully comprehensive marketing packet

The above just skims the surface and basically pointers if you are going after sponsors of 10 G or higher. If your after the smaller 500, bumper sticker kind then its kind of winging it, luck, etc

A little tidbit, for every 100 people you speak with you will get 1 maybe, for every 100 maybe's you might get lucky enough to get 1 committal

Now some, including myself have stepped in poop and gotten lucky at times, but getting an advertising partner of any kind of merit takes a ton of blood, sweat, and tears.

The biggest thing of all. Your phone. Answer it, return calls. It not only shows professionalism, but its the core of how a business is run. Some people in offshore think running and hiding gets things done.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:53 AM
Registered

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=F1-00 Racing;3860657]Step 1: A schedule, w/o this you are pi$$ing in the wind, any advertiser that is putting in any kind of financial backing wants to know the MSA and demographical reach of the markets you will be racing in

Step 2: Is your team setup in a corporate structure? LLC, etc Once you receive monies from advertisers Uncle Sam is looking for his cut, not necessary, but my recemendation is to set it up separately from any other business that you have

Step 3:you have to be setup socially, you need a team website, team facebook fan page, twitter, etc, these provide concrete numbers to potential's

Step 4: What is your pricing? either a tier system(ie gold, silver, bronze packages, etc) or creative sales techinques. You need to have an introductory marketing packet as well as a fully comprehensive marketing packet

The above just skims the surface and basically pointers if you are going after sponsors of 10 G or higher. If your after the smaller 500, bumper sticker kind then its kind of winging it, luck, etc

A little tidbit, for every 100 people you speak with you will get 1 maybe, for every 100 maybe's you might get lucky enough to get 1 committal

Now some, including myself have stepped in poop and gotten lucky at times, but getting an advertising partner of any kind of merit takes a ton of blood, sweat, and tears.

The biggest thing of all. Your phone. Answer it, return calls. It not only shows professionalism, but its the core of how a business is run. Some people in offshore think running and hiding gets things done.

Last edited by waterboy1; 02-03-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:56 AM
Registered

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sbracing
I have used all 3 methods. Most national companies are only going to do product support. Don't turn your back on these deals as everything helps, plus you begin a relationship with a company that could expand if you represent them well. As Trent said, the days of cash for decals are mostly over. One way many teams have offset costs is to contact local businesses at race sights and trade billboard space on boat for food or lodging. Again everything helps.

And don't call or contact a company and ask for sponsorship. It is a marketing program.
You guys do a great job representing your marketing program partners.Keep up the great work as everyone in our sport benefits from corporate involvement.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:01 AM
Registered

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=waterboy1;3860672]
Originally Posted by F1-00 Racing
Step 1: A schedule, w/o this you are pi$$ing in the wind, any advertiser that is putting in any kind of financial backing wants to know the MSA and demographical reach of the markets you will be racing in

Very well said.Excellent advice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.