Notices

Absolutly Not

Old 05-19-2014, 05:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark good talking to u today, important thing is that u and Jerry r ok. Get well quick see u soon.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by extras
Ryan I agree. We are going to sit down with them and see what we can do to make her stronger. A hit at 130 or 140 would not be good. Just to let people know the same person who laid up the other Fountain canopy race boats laid up mine. (Reggie or no Reggie argument)
Mark
First, it is a blessing that you are both without major injuries. We can typically reconstruct most orthopedic injuries, but often with some prolonged recovery.

We spent alot of time designing the canopy specifically for the 42 ( Stampede) and the original Fountain SVL( Watch Your Back). I believe the team that worked on our canopy specifications, all transitioned out of the Fountain factory in the fall of 2010.
I have not seen any photos of the insult/damage to the structure of your fountain canopy-deck, but I would agree that you might want to have a meeting with Mr Walker at the current Fountain factory and review the specifications on its initial construction . It might be worth while to get some additional opinions on the best structural methods to increase the stability and safety going foward. Our current Outerlimits (SV-30), was constructed using the UIM Class 1 guidelines for a race canopy.
There is suggestions in the SBI rule book, outlining a requirement for some sort of a notarized certified letter from the manufacturer, authorizing the canopy safety following a race boat rollover.

Best of luck

Doc J
Old 05-20-2014, 02:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some employees did transfer out but were hired back as sub contractors for this build.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:08 AM
Racer
Racer

I considered reducing the window sizes on my Fountain. Most all the modern cats are running very small windows compared to SVL and SVs. Sounds like that may have played a role in your canopy based on Ryan's post. Obviously, you can never have a too sturdy hatch.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am no expert, however in studying this picture: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater it looks as the canopy did its job, yes the cockpit hatch, scoop, and engine hatch are missing and sure a blow by a helmet to the windshield helped contribute to that damage, but as in the pic, I dont see a bulkhead caving in on the throttleman or half a deck missing. As being one of the few, if only people that has been in both of the Fountain's cockpits, they are of similar construction, the only glaring difference being the fit and finish of the interior. Regardless, all canopies, no matter the guidelines they are built by, have to be reevaluated periodically as incidents like this happen to better improve and enhance guidelines for the future. I am sure Mark will be working closely with Johnny and the gang as well as others to do what they need to do as I can speak that Mark, yes likes to have a good time, but safety and getting home to his wife and daughter is and always will be priority #1
Old 05-20-2014, 11:04 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Hard to tell from that picture but the "glass" is actually blew out in a spot on the other side. That being said and what I saw of the canopy lid. This was a canopy system failure in my opinion. The canopy lid was shredded, it looked like a truck had driven over it in the road. broken, cracked and de laminated..... EPIC FAIL, IMO.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:08 PM
Registered

Thankfully all are ok. As the Doc mentioned, UIM have a stringent set of rules regarding canopy structure. We followed those rules to a tee using a Doug Wright canopy design. I take it, as our boat, yours is constructed with vinylester. The canopy is the strongest component of our boat. The deck skins were laid up vinylester but transitioned to epoxy and carbon for the canopy superstructure to the outside of the surrounding deflectors. This is with 1 1/4" core. Window flanges are a minimum 4" to avoid window flex in the event of a hard rollover. If not using polycarbonate windows, which give quite a bit before breaking I would use at least .8 two ply stretched acrylic. Cast acrylic windows will become chards and spears in a direct hit. Top hatch should be epoxy/carbon. If you have a chance take a look inside a DW and snap a few pics of the structure.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:43 PM
Registered

Chris we going to see you at the races anytime soon ????
Old 05-23-2014, 10:03 PM
Registered

We were there watching. I didn't have my drive back yet. Other than that we are ready. Should have brought the boat anyway. Thank you to all those that offered up a drive in Cocoa. Didn't want to borrow parts on the first outing. Drive is in transit so Sarasota if we have no more hiccups. Guess we'll be needing the data logger for Sarasota.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:03 AM
Registered

Yes you will. If you need the info to get one let me know I can email it to you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.