Notices

Super vee motor

Old 07-08-2014, 06:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Super vee motor

Now that the Merc 525 is officially no longer in production, SBI will aggressively work on a new motor for the SUPERBOAT VEE class. The goal is design a motor that is reliable, cost effective for the racers and simple. Our thoughts are to do something similar to what the SUPERBOAT class has done and that has proven to be so successful. A motor that any engine builder can build at a very affordable price. Some builders also have tech support at the races which is a huge plus, now that they are in the game again they have an inventive to do so. Every motor will be inspected and sealed by the SBI staff. This motor will be in addition to the engine(s) that are in the rule book now, it will give the racers an option of buying new or searching for used motors.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:08 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can think of one that is awesome... Give me a call when you are free, you PM is full.

Chris Reindl
702 228-2628
Old 07-09-2014, 08:17 AM
Registered

Thanks Chris give you a call later today.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:02 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Xtremeracing
Now that the Merc 525 is officially no longer in production, SBI will aggressively work on a new motor for the SUPERBOAT VEE class. The goal is design a motor that is reliable, cost effective for the racers and simple. Our thoughts are to do something similar to what the SUPERBOAT class has done and that has proven to be so successful. A motor that any engine builder can build at a very affordable price. Some builders also have tech support at the races which is a huge plus, now that they are in the game again they have an inventive to do so. Every motor will be inspected and sealed by the SBI staff. This motor will be in addition to the engine(s) that are in the rule book now, it will give the racers an option of buying new or searching for used motors.

Frank:
This would not be an advancement for the SV ( SVL) sport. There will always be 525 around for the few new boats coming into the class, for a long time.

Indeed the Superboat class, has been using them with success, but that change sure killed all the big vee boat racing in the past year. You have had one boat in the class until the most recent race.

I am not as optimistic as your self, this would be positive ruling for the sport
Old 07-13-2014, 08:26 AM
Registered

Doc,
I agree the 525 served the class well but this just gives team an option to be able to buy new. The goal is for a team to be able to build a reliable cost effective package. Merc 525 will not be eliminated the new spec motor will just be an addition to what we have. You can't base the rule book on a motor that is no longer in production. Affordability is an important part of growing the SV class, most of the teams are buget based racers, with the addition of a possible 2 or 3 more SV boats the class could see 10 boats soon.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Doc. I'm not crazy about the change. There are plenty of 525's out there.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:39 AM
Registered

There is no change you can continue to use a 525 as long as you like.

Last edited by Xtremeracing; 07-13-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

What do you think the price will be for the new motor with all good components? Wont the deepest pockets have the best motors? Wont Sterling be able to find just a little more power with the same specs as the guy that builds his motor with his friend $15K vs $45K It works with the super cat class because they all buy the best money can buy. If you offer the cheap package you will get many of the new teams thinking they are saving money on this affordable motor to only find out it wont last the 100 hours that most merc are good for in racing applications. How many motor issues has the #9 boat had as an example. I know you all hate merc so I still think that a factory spec package from Illmore would be a better direction. Affordability can only be used in the same sentence as reliability to make this work.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:11 PM
Registered

From the research we have done so far the cost should be about $18,000 - $20,000 to build a new motor with all the right parts. Simalar to what Merc does but upgrade where they fall short. The best doesnt always cost more, A set of wires from Merc $190.00 a my better set of wires from MSD $56.00 , no different for internal parts.
I've spoken to Ilmor at great length and they feel they can build a good motor per our specs, simalar the the motors they are building for the Superboat class. They would be a good choice, as the rest of the impressive builds that r are working with SBI and build motors for the Superboat and Superboat Extreme class.

Last edited by Xtremeracing; 07-13-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

$18K - $20K for a Illmore drop in 650 HP with CMI headers, race mounts, closed water cooling, bell housing, coupler and a guardian mode is a Great price!!! Now you have my undivided attention.
What makes a super cat motor cost $45K - $65K then? Other than a smaller cam, less expensive heads, lower compression why is there such a big difference in cost? Rotating assembly should be the same, heads Im sure are a little more, Intake, carb, ignition should all cost the same. What am I missing? I don't think they even get the exhaust or dry sump for that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.