Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > General Racing Discussion
Marathon live stream >

Marathon live stream

Notices

Marathon live stream

Old 07-12-2015, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THE MOTOR IS NLA. LET THE 525 DIE A PEACEFUL DEATH. Move on, it's 2015, everyone agree on a,motor that existing racers can use along with new,teams,entering the class in the future.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:47 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Chris true, but not true the 525 can be used as a great platform for the new spec motor as well as my base is a 500 efi. When it was said and done, I have approx 7 G into it and it is now SBI legal per the new spec configuration.

It has been proven that it costs more to setup an OPA legal setup vs an SBI setup, I've posted the numbers in the past, and its great that Randy is asking questions, I aint saying he or the class up there will go for it, but I am pretty sure he realizes that the OPA set up under the current rules has no potential of growth. Hopefully they move in the direction of adapting a new motor package, but one thing I hope they keep in mind is they need tech. OK I heard Anthony will be the tech for this year, but come on, as talented as he is, he is showing up racing 2 boats, cant he sit back and enjoy the atmosphere a little bit? To have qualified independant tech, it takes money and the racers need to step up. I sat down with a member of the staff and we figured it would take approx $1500.00 per race to hire a tech. Since the OPA Supercat class has an entry fee of $1000.00 per race, couldn't SVL pay at least $500 and maybe a deal worked out with Smitty that the remaining monies be put back into the SVL purse? ie 4 teams show up $2000 pay the tech the 1500 and then 500 goes back into the purse, in working with Smitty the past couple of years, that might not be the solution, but I know he will do everything possible to see the class grow and thrive and he will bend over backwards for this to an extent.

Point being, the reason I bring up tech is before you even agree on whatever motor package to go with, you really need someone/something in place involved with the process or do you guys plan to do whatever and just wing it continuing the thought that easily accessible seals will prevent cheating?

Randy, I dont know why your heart is set on a approx 575 hp motor when in fact your very own boat was made for A class along with 6 out of the 8 boats that were registered in OPA last year. Wasn't A class something like 750-800 hp? Your boats can handle ballpark 600-620 hp all day long. Even the latest version before being discontinued 525's were coming out at approx 610 hp(a set was independently dynoed on an SCL after the KW Worlds and those numbers came back, they were stock/sealed and passed OPA tech all that year before competing in KW), they came a long way since 2003 lol

You are asking questions Randy, which is great a hell of a lot better than you telling your guys the misinformation that SBI motors are 150 hp more than OPA. Frank has offered up dyno sheets to anyone who wants to take a look, your driver also has a set of motors that fit into the SBI Superboat Rules, ask him, he told me that his were originally done by Crockett and were approx 600 hp a piece. You can also call Smitty as he has the same 525 set up in his boat. The only request i have is for you to get the guys together now, dont wait till the offseason, handle the discussions so day 1 of the offseason the guys know what has to be done for next year and have the proper time to do so, if you wait till the awards/rules meeting dinner, you guys just lost 3 1/2 months.

This shouldnt be a political thing, but it is. bluntly the SBI guys are happy, they have 3 motor options with full tech, I dont see them changing especially with the addition of the new spec non Mercury motor option available this year. OPA is the ones sitting with a discontinued motor in their rulebook so its kinda on you guys. To date I know of Britt and Steve with 2 motors to be eligible to run in both groups, I'm sure they would love the option to be able to sell or keep as a back up....
Old 07-13-2015, 09:15 AM
Racer
Racer

Hi Trent, most of what you are saying is very true, the point you are missing is that the motors are not the problem. The politics are whats causing disparity. truth be told they are unnecessary politics. OPA has gone with the rule for this class that was already in effect. SBI has not. I don't know if you remember when OPA did the race in Jupiter? Well all SVL's were invited to the race which was also the OPA worlds. I believe 2 teams from SBI attended with the acceptable motors for SBI. As you also know I am in one of the SVL's and said what the hell lets race and see how we stack up, well at the start of the race we watched them take off on us like jack rabbits!!! AS far as weight penalties? The winning SVL said thank you for the extra weight it worked well in the rough lol. So now we all build our "own" spec motors anywhere we chose. Suppose hypothetically now we get a wealthy guy who will do anything too win, like get a boat built by the fastest boat builder out there, no wait lets sell that and get another one by a different builder and wait again, and he gets to pick the engine builder too? Who can beat that! well at least we can count on the inspectors to check this out................ There are a ton of 525's still out there get them built to factory and everyone can race ! Changing the allowable motors to be of more horsepower then original is to keep racers from migrating from there group. I applaud Smitty and our SVL teams form not buckling under. do we need to think about a future motor option ? yes definitely. Its going to be up to Mercury or a builder to come up with an option that makes everyone smile lol good luck.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:37 AM
Registered

Engine seals don't work! Some people just don't get it.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:52 AM
Racer
Racer

who said anything about engine seals?
Old 07-13-2015, 12:14 PM
Racer
Racer

take svl class , we bite the bullet and vote in an engine builder (1) everyone pulls there engines this winter and sends it in for rebuild/inspection at the approved engine builder. Motors will be sealed in the best way possible. at this time motors will be returned for the season of racing. To be considered for this building position a flat rate rebuild would be spread over all engines agreed on prior. Another requirement would be the qualified builder would be contractually bound to be present or represented at every race with parts and or spare engine good for the racers and the builder. The builder can also be called in on an inspection at the race site if something seems amiss on an engine. Just my 2 cents nobody else's what do you think?
Old 07-13-2015, 01:08 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes Louie I remember Jupiter all too well, when I work on the Activator I have to look at the results of that race sitting right next to it lol. I also remember being told about the 2 vortec's domination and was told the reasons why backed up with photos. I do need to remind you that the Vortec motors were legal in OPA in the 2012 season, so they were running to OPA specs, per the rule book. I also watched the webstream from LOTO this year and the very same team came with a different boat and a stock sealed 525 and the same domination happened... Can you explain this?

Off memory, I dont seem to remember you having any motor failures with your 35, maybe something ticky tacky, but nothing out of the ordinary, you had the option to chose any engine builder you wanted and you followed the "there is only so much that can be done to a 525" rules for your 35, you dont think this would work for SVL especially if proper tech is in place? You and Smitty both seem to think its ok for your Fountains, why isnt it ok for the SVL's?

Last edited by F1-00 Racing; 07-13-2015 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by louietherigger
Hi Trent, most of what you are saying is very true, the point you are missing is that the motors are not the problem. The politics are whats causing disparity. truth be told they are unnecessary politics. OPA has gone with the rule for this class that was already in effect. SBI has not. I don't know if you remember when OPA did the race in Jupiter? Well all SVL's were invited to the race which was also the OPA worlds. I believe 2 teams from SBI attended with the acceptable motors for SBI. As you also know I am in one of the SVL's and said what the hell lets race and see how we stack up, well at the start of the race we watched them take off on us like jack rabbits!!! AS far as weight penalties? The winning SVL said thank you for the extra weight it worked well in the rough lol. So now we all build our "own" spec motors anywhere we chose. Suppose hypothetically now we get a wealthy guy who will do anything too win, like get a boat built by the fastest boat builder out there, no wait lets sell that and get another one by a different builder and wait again, and he gets to pick the engine builder too? Who can beat that! well at least we can count on the inspectors to check this out................ There are a ton of 525's still out there get them built to factory and everyone can race ! Changing the allowable motors to be of more horsepower then original is to keep racers from migrating from there group. I applaud Smitty and our SVL teams form not buckling under. do we need to think about a future motor option ? yes definitely. Its going to be up to Mercury or a builder to come up with an option that makes everyone smile lol good luck.
Lou, you are correct OPA did kinda followed suit with the SBI rules for the SV class. SBI was aware the 525 were being discontinued after long conversation with Merc, and John realized a change had to be made for the stability of the class for the future. Its been over two years since it was public knowledge that the 525 we're going to be discontinued. SBI work diligently to try to put a package together as soon as possible so the races will have an alternative. The goal was to put a package together that could be around for a long time.
This is very similar to what happened with the 750 super cat class, when there was all the turmoil with the motors SBI again went out and put a package together that would have reliability cost-effective and longevity. Smitty followed suit with SBI with the new super boat motor specs very similar to what we're doing with SV I don't see any reason why that would be any different then the Superboat class he felt it was best for the sport. It allows team to run either or org. I believe you will see 3 SBI Super Boat teams in St Clair this yr. I know you say its politics but it's still allows teams to have a choice if they choice to run both organizations or just one they still have a choice it's the obligation of the organizations to be able to make that possible not the racers to dictate to the Org. Whatever OPA decides I'm sure Smitty will make the right decision for the future of OPA.