New SVL being built !!! >

New SVL being built !!!

Notices

New SVL being built !!!

Old 12-29-2015, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GoFastSonic
My point is that we have played with the bottom of my boat many times to try and find that "new set up" with only 6 feet to work with we have tried different angles on the lifting strakes, removed strakes, shortened strakes, added a notch, blue printed, moved tabs, changed the air intake to the step wider pad, steeper dead rise and all those attempts didn't gain squat after long term testing each. Yes we had a couple magic days that some set ups were faster but after several test sessions on different days with the same set up the average never changed much. There are so many variables when testing that its almost impossible to do back to back test. The SVL boats that have been running the 525 package for the last 10 years have made little to no progress in speed or handling. The only progress has ben from prop work IMO. At weight, 85 deg outside temp, stock 525, 1/2" below x dimension, single step, no current (NO river) the best boats are all with in 91-93 MPH and 94 is a flash not a consistent speed. This is the same speeds as 10 years ago!!!! This is what makes this class great. With that being said I have no data on twin or triple step boats

Good point Randy
Point taken. New technology has progressed a long way though. Even with all the changes made to your bottom the angles stayed the same. Multi steps have proven to be faster, although some believe it's due to cheating. Let me back up a bit here. I raced single engine outboard vee's for years. Conventional vee hulls with 260 mercs in the low to mid 80,s running on the last 6 inches of the pad. All the brand's were pretty competitive. I decided to buy a twin step 23 foot bat boat with twin steps. Took power from my conventional vee and dropped it on the twin step bat boat. 97mph first time out. On top of this 2/3's of the hull was wet versus the 6 inches of the conventional vee. It was light years faster in the calm and even more so in the rough because I didn't need to back off. The rougher it got the more punishment I dished out. Bottom design was radical and it worked. The multi steps can be pushed harder in race conditions because they handle any sea condition better if the angles are right. Average speeds are higher and that's what wins races. Most times you need to start with a clean slate. I used to modify the he'll outa my conventional vee's too, just no comparison to a well designed multi step.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

And that is why muli step boats have more weight in OPA. IMO weight may not be the equalizer to keep boats in check but its a start. Something needs to be done or we wont have a class if new multi step bottoms beat up on single step boats. And so now we can have the "what to do" debate LOL. Destroy a class or try and figure a way to make close racing with out starting another SVL class. I remember in Factory One you had different weights for different lengths and if you didn't have a step you could run a extension box. And guess what at the worlds with 20 plus boats in the class the oldest and shortest boat with a box on the back won the title (Freedom which was a Corsa)
Old 12-29-2015, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That contradicts everything you said in your earlier post about technology not changing. If technology hasn't changed why are some boats faster than others?
Old 12-29-2015, 03:23 PM
Registered

Randy

That's why I said in an earlier post that I almost couldn't believe what you had said. Like Chris said the angle of attack the depth of the steps the angle of the steps the placement of the steps there is so much more that can be done with new technology then trying to retrofit a boat that you have. All the work you did didn't change the placement of the steps the depth of them so on and so on. The technology today surpasses old technology it was good in its time.

Then you get into boats with a pad bottom not only do some have pads but again then that all changes by the size of the pad the placement of the pad. That's a whole nother ball of wax all together, so you put a pad on a boat and multiple steps on a boat things change quick.

You need to take a good look at the outer limits bottom there was a reason for what Mike did he didn't just do it because it looks good, a lot of time effort and money when into advancing the technology of V bottom boats.

Last edited by Xtremeracing; 12-29-2015 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:57 PM
Registered

Maybe I am not saying it right then. Yes multi step bottom boats are faster and more eff than a single step. There for if you want to race the newer boats with the older boats there has to be some way to equalize them. Im saying that it has been done in the past where an older smaller boat was able to win and we had I believe 22 boats from new to old. Yes the technology was better on the new boat but the rules were such that an older boat was capable of winning on any given day. If you want boat count some how you need to include the guy's that cant spend $200K on a new boat IMO. I understand its a fine line but until you have a class with lost of new boats (which I don't see in the near future) what do you do? The guy's will just leave and race in class 4 and you will have 1-3 new boats in SVL. I hope for SBI's sake Im wrong.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:34 PM
Registered

Randy right now it looks like SBI will have 10 registered boats for 2016. SBI has firm for rules boat and motor, and tech.

Last edited by Xtremeracing; 12-29-2015 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:04 PM
Registered

I look forward to seeing 10 boats at the first race. Congrats on a the first 10 boat fleet of SVL. I have heard all this before and hope this year has different results. What 10 boats do you predict will be at the first race or 13 at the worlds? That would triple the boats from last years fleet. Please don't tell me that means 10-13 boats will race at least once all year. really?????
Old 12-29-2015, 07:13 PM
Registered

That's up to the registered team what races they will race. All I said is it looks like right now we should have 10 team .
Old 12-29-2015, 07:22 PM
Registered

Randy

Not really sure how we got on to the OPA SBI controversy. All I did was reply to your statement about you hope for SBI sake that you were wrong because they would end up with 1/ 3 boats I would worry about SBI. They have 6 registered boat now and 4 more possible boats getting ready to register if everything works out for them as far as completing their boats.

You need to be more proactive instead of negative you want to bring up what happened in the past and how many times we heard that. I guess we could be proactive and say maybe this is the year, being it's the class that you race I would think you wouldn't be as negative as you are.

I look at it as a positive thing that boat manufacturers or actually building new SV. In the last few years there have been more boats built then in the previous ten years

Last edited by Xtremeracing; 12-29-2015 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The unfortunate reality is that there are two classes of svl. OPA svl and Sbi svl. I believe OPA has svl as it was originally intended. I will be racing with Sbi for geographic reasons. Sbi now have their new motor in the rules which totals 4 engine packages for the class. Stock sealed 525, innovation Vortec, homebuilt 525 which we all know can make 650 hp and the new carb 510 ci motor. Not spec class racing by any means with four boats on the course with four different motors. Randy, you guys do a great job up there keeping things as equal as possible. My only option is to race majority of races in Florida. That being the case, only motor that makes sense to run is the most badass 510 money can buy that fits in the rules.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.