The Freeport situation >

The Freeport situation

Notices

The Freeport situation

Old 10-29-2002, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DITTO ON THE SHRINK RAY!

No time machine needed. You screw with us, we hit you with the shrink ray!
Old 10-29-2002, 09:10 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The bat is on loan to me tell I get my move done and also fix the issues with my truck
Old 10-29-2002, 09:12 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Am I the only one that gets the feeling that APBA is their own worst enemy? It seems that they had a resonable solution to the situation. One that did not hinder the racers but then Mike A. has to go and threaten people. Well I guess he if feeling the sting of he ego now.

Jon
Old 10-29-2002, 09:31 PM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Jon
Just noticed your tribute to Mark.
May he RIP
BTW he was a friend

Dan
Old 10-29-2002, 09:42 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

DanB: I loved the way he attacked the waves. Like no other out there!!!! He is one of the few TRUE big wave surfers.

Jon
Old 10-29-2002, 10:42 PM
BTJ88

I just watched a good show on Discovery the other day about air freight. They chronicled several major air shipments fropm begining to end. It was pretty cool to see how fast and efficient they were able to ship a bunch of IRL or CART (or something) cars to Asia and back with virtually no problems. They also tracked the shipment of some French wine (don't know the name) that leaves thew winery and only has like 3-4 days to get to the store. And its not just a little, its like millions of bottles.

Sure sucks that these things can happen all the time, but APBA sends a few boats and hell breaks lose.

P.S. They also showed horses being shipped - for those of you you care.

Old 10-30-2002, 02:20 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CART isn't exactly a fair comparison FEDEX does sponsor the series.

But yes it could be more oganized. Every race i've been too has been a study in mass confusion. It amazes me that millions of dollars in boats show up and there is so much confusion. APBA and SBI need to take a serious look at SCCA club racing event if they want to see how they should run racing events with volunteers. FYI at the national races 100-150 cars show up and take over tracks like watkins glen, laguna seca, pocano, daytona, ect. There is some confusion but not much usually. Hell the race i was at, at pocanao a guy got kileld in wreck and there was only a 3 hours delay. Contingency plan pre-established. Driver meeting took place racers voted on weather to continue or not, racer were not penaliezed (championship points wise) for not competing if they felt they couldn't. after the vote they ran teh remaining races.

Oh yeah you know how they always try to run 2 or 3 races at an offshore ace and that is way to confused? SCCA event run like 6-10 races. And the pocano race was double national so there was a race on saturday and sunday.

Its an efficient model to look at ladies. If you want offshore to ever be as big as the "mainstream" racing races NEED to be more organized.

BACK, BACK I SAY, BACK!!!!!!!!!! ITS A SHRINK RAY!!!!!!!!!!! SHRINK RAY!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by puder; 10-30-2002 at 02:25 AM.
Old 10-30-2002, 03:28 AM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,736 Likes on 3,794 Posts

Although not there, 40 Boats seems sort of small for a National race, yet spending the money if you were not in contention for the championship seems foolish as well with the way the economy is. Yet being able to compete is half the fun. you can point to other race series, but it is comparing apples and oranges.
Could thier be more organization sure , but when you consistantly change venues it is hard to know what obstacles you will need to hurdle. It is unfortunate that the success of the Bahama's race is tranished by this incident. Yet another learning lesson for future races at this sight. Hope all get thier equipment back soon.
Old 10-30-2002, 07:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Audiofn
Am I the only one that gets the feeling that APBA is their own worst enemy? It seems that they had a resonable solution to the situation. One that did not hinder the racers but then Mike A. has to go and threaten people. Well I guess he if feeling the sting of he ego now.

Jon
Jon, searider did not state who the threatening email was sent to. it could be second hand information from searider.
Old 10-30-2002, 07:46 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having been involved with putting on races in the past for about 10 years let me add one thing. Each and every car race venue except for the Gran Prix series is just that-a race venue. When you are looking at setting up the race you have set guidelines, areas of use, parking, concessions, etc. When you are doing a boat race you are using places that are normally used for other things-marinas, parks, etc. We had to change locations 3 or 4 times and each time you went somewhere new there were new hurdles to overcome. Add to that the fact that everyone is a volunteer and it is amazing the races come off at all. The key to having anorganized race is to maintain the same venue and tweek it each time you race. Since the venues have been changing of late, confusion will be the order of the day. In many instances the only reason a race goes off at all is the comaraderie of the racers and their ability to remain flexible. Most of the major problems we encounter are with outsiders, newbies, and fans. Most of the race teams simply sit back, grab a beverage, and say"let me know where you want our stuff, as soon as you can".

Quick Reply: The Freeport situation

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.