Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > General Racing Discussion
The Freeport situation >

The Freeport situation

Notices

The Freeport situation

Old 10-29-2002, 09:51 AM
searider

Lightbulb The Freeport situation

Let me try to shed some light on the situation concerning the boats being held for freight charges at the Port of Miami.

As you all may know, Seariders is the Customs Broker and Freight Forwarder that did all the documentation for this project.

Seaboard Marine quoted $72 per square meter as a freight charge that would include all costs of shipping to and from Freeport, Grand Bahama. This did not include Customs and documentation services which is why Seariders was chosen to do the work with U.S.Customs and Sam Melvin with Bahamian Customs.

Ted Zoli estimated an amount that he expected would cover the shipping costs. Unfortunately his estimate was not completely accurate. The Bahamian Government (As I understand it in conversations with Mr. Zoli) contributed $120,000 toward the cost of shipping. The actual costs, as billed were $149,191.63.

These charges were calculated on the actual measurments taken on the docks when the boats and tow vehicles were delivered.

The boats arrived back in Miami on Friday Morning (Oct, 25) and were released by U.S.Customs at approximately 2:00 PM.

The dispute that exists is based upon the fact that APBA does not want to pay the "extra" $29,191.63 and wants to "make a deal" for some amount less than this. Since these charges are based upon actual measurements taken when the units arrived, the only way to settle this dispute in APBA's favor would be to prove that these measurements were in error.

I have re-checked all the calculations made by Seaboard and have found them to be essentially correct.

My suggestion to Mr. Zoli was to "pay the charges as billed and then we can file overcharge claims on those boats/vehicles where it can be proved that the measurements are erroneous.

This is evidently not what Mr. Zoli wants.

On Friday, an "arrangement" had been agreed between Mr. Zoli and Tom Paelinck, Vice President of Seaboard wherein Seaboard would hold Mr. Zoli's boat until this dispute was ironed out. A few boats were indeed released subject to this agreement.

On Monday Morning (Oct. 28) a threatening email from Mr. Allweiss was received by Mr Paelinck that threatened legal action if all the boats were not immediately released.

At this point, the Carrier is holding the remaining boats for payment of freight charges. Under the terms of the Bill of Lading, they have the right to do this. If this is not settled in an amicable manner, they even have the right to sell the cargo to satisfy freight charges.

While I don't expect that this would deteriorate to that level, I again suggested that the APBA pay the freight charges and then file overcharge claims where needed.

We're all waiting for a decision...............

Last edited by searider; 10-29-2002 at 10:38 AM.

Old 10-29-2002, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are always two sides to a story. A threatening email from MikeA.....can you imagine?
Old 10-29-2002, 09:59 AM
CRUBOSS

leave it to a lawyer to make a bad situation , worse !

Old 10-29-2002, 10:03 AM
Registered

FREE POPCORN for EVERYONE!!!!!!
Old 10-29-2002, 10:09 AM
Charter Member #319
Charter Member

The Plot Thickens.... I'll take mine with extra butter..
Old 10-29-2002, 10:10 AM
CRUBOSS

i'l take mine with extra butter. and a beer.

Old 10-29-2002, 10:15 AM
Registered

searider.............you need to respond within the Racers Roundup section. Great info, and glad you repsonded.
Old 10-29-2002, 10:17 AM
Jeff

that sounds pretty cut and dry. come on please chime in, it must be the shippers fault? Anytime you take your property out of the country you are at risk of some kind of trouble. I take boats to Europe at least twice a year and you can not bull**** around with the information the shippers ask for on your bill of laden. I have never had a problem, I pay them what they ask for and get my boat when I am scheduled to and go boating the next dayof my vacation. These huge companies laugh at the tough guy aproach.

Old 10-29-2002, 10:34 AM
Boat Girl

Searider- thank you for the facts, very good information, now people wont get bashed for commenting on the truth, its a sad state of affairs, Thanks for trying to help...Do you think Seaboard would deal with the individual race teams or is it all or nothing...

Old 10-29-2002, 10:46 AM
DJD
Registered

Searider
Thanks for the info.

There ya have it folks! Another cluster f***
People shouldn't threaten others with lawsuits & expect they will bend over. Sounds like the big company will win this one.

I will join the OSO offer.
I will be towing a boat to West Palm next week & will gladly put the dually to work if anyone needs their equipment moved from Miami. No charge! (except if you incorrectly fill out the paperwork on the second tuesday, in the month of February during a leap year & then threaten me with a suit after the rules change because of what your dog says)

Quick Reply: The Freeport situation

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.