SBI P-Class debochel >

SBI P-Class debochel

Notices

SBI P-Class debochel

Old 11-10-2002, 06:56 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs down SBI P-Class debochel

I heard from a very good sourse that a P5 racer was complaining that a 80+mph Bat Boat and a twin engine super fast 38' Fountain ran in SBI's P5 class in New Orleans! This racer in his 2000 Warlock with a 502 mag said these boats hung back until the last lap and blew by him at 80+mph speeds thus taking the win he deserved at the SBI Worlds!

It's nice to know SBI is NOT enforcing the rules and class they stole from APBA-Offshore!
Mike
Old 11-10-2002, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mike,

As I recall the Kilo record for APBA E class was about 75 mph.
That Warlock would have been an E class boat and may also
have been capable of exceeding 69 mph. P class in either
organization will never be fair until the rules are enforced.
Meanwhile the guys who run in the proper class take it on the
chin. When a boat "averages" close to the top speed of their class
it has to be capable of substantially higher speeds.
Old 11-10-2002, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I am shocked the rules are not being upheld. This is so unlike Carbonell to favor a racer. Was there a protest filed and an inspection requested? I am interested to see if this is going anywhere since us Supercat light guys still have our issue with SBI which is about to come to a head.
Old 11-10-2002, 12:28 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

And as always the guys who travel hundreds of miles, pay their fees and expenses, and enter the proper class are the ones who get screwed.
Old 11-11-2002, 12:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You heard wrong!

First, the Bat Boat in question is definitely NOT an 80 mph + boat. It is powered by a 315 hp Volvo, which is identical to the Bat Boat which set the Kilo record in Cleveland (perfectly calm water) at a speed of 71.358 mph. Check the APBA website under kilo records for confirmation.

Secondly, I drove that boat on Thursday, and we let every lap, so we did not have to pass anyone. There were, however, two boats that "broke out" of the 60 - 69 mph AVERAGE LAP SPEED (different from APBA rules, per John Carbonell himself), but it was determined that there was some confusion as to whether or not it was individual lap speed, or average speed for the entire race. Can you guess which 2 boats were confused on this issue?

Although our results (P5-2 Bat Boat) are not yet posted on the SBI website, due to an oversight, as I am told, when they are, you will see that our fastest lap for the 2 races was 67 mph average speed.

We were in the correct class, given that SBI uses average lap speed, and NOT top speed. Pump It, is the Warlock that you are referring to, and they told me today that the fastest they saw on their GPS (we don't even use a speedo) was 71 mph.

We won the National Championship playing by the rules that were laid out by SBI. I'm not say that I agree with them necessarily, and I definitely think a couple of boats should have moved up to P4 at least, but that is not for me to say.

Please get your facts straight before you accuse someone of cheating, especially when the information is second or third hand!
Old 11-11-2002, 12:22 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,630 Likes on 3,769 Posts

hey bobby shouldnt your sbi title be 2002 world champion??
how did you uys do at the second race??
Old 11-11-2002, 12:44 PM
Registered

Default Hey Pete:

Not for the Divisional Classes. Apparently there is no National Points race for the P classes, so the SBI Worlds race determines the National Championship for the divisionals.

We came in 2nd on Sunday, finishing 7 seconds behind "For $um Reason". We led the 1st two laps, but they ran us down, passed us, then set their speed just about 1/2 mph faster than we were able to go. The lap times were way down, so I suspect that the mileage was off on the course vs. what SBI plugged into the computer. Anyway, we simply couldn't catch them, as they can go 80+ mph. We knew they had come in 3rd on Thursday, so we just followed them for the final few laps and were able to win the Championship with 504 points for 1st on Thursday, and 454 points for second on Sunday. I think P5 was the biggest class there, with 7 boats answering roll call on Thursday, and 6 on Sunday. (Boss moved up to P3 where there was only 1 other boat).
Old 11-11-2002, 01:18 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

what was the water conditions like??
Old 11-11-2002, 01:18 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

are you ready for some frequent flier miles in KW?? it can be real big there!!
Old 11-11-2002, 01:34 PM
Registered

Unhappy Choppy -- maybe 2 - 3 footers at one end

Yes, I'm ready. I'd prefer big water to the smooth. I was hoping that the wind would kick up some nice water like it did on Wednesday when the first race was postponed. . . that way we wouldn't have to worry about the sandbaggers -- just real racing.

I'll be bringing a large bottle of Advil to Key West, after all I have heard about it, the water must be big all the time down there.

Interestingly enough at the SBI driver's meeting Sunday morning, people were expressing concern over boat wakes created by a Coast Guard patrol boat, and the helicopter pilot apoligized for the trouble that the hovering copters were causing the smaller boats with their prop wash.

Quick Reply: SBI P-Class debochel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.