Notices

stupid question?

Old 12-30-2002, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stupid question?

I've loved boats for a long time and I would like to try to get involved in some form of offshore racing but I don't have the funds to buy even a new f2 boat. Is there any way to get involved just to be a part of the action. Just want to get started in a sport that I have alot of respect for, unfortnatelly being only 22yrs old. not to many poeple in the buisness have taken me serious.Thanks for any input guys.
Martin.
Old 12-30-2002, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get in touch with your local racing club..I see you're from Ohio..The Great Lakes Silver Cup Series folks are great people and a bunch of fun....

Volunteer to work the pits, assist with lauch etc..etc...there's always a need for more people to work races...

Try Chris Reindl too...he's involved with the Cincinnati race....

Come on over to Jersey...we can put you to work too!!

Good Luck!

Marty

*BTW...the only stupid question..is the one not asked!!

Last edited by BODYSHOT1; 12-30-2002 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-30-2002, 10:54 AM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,736 Likes on 3,794 Posts

Call Chris Reindl, He always needs a helping hand, Ive been working with him the past 2 seasons, and has opened up a lot of doors for me. Besides the travel, there are some long nights of work, as we some long hours on the road. But the best part is the people you meet!! Im very glad i did it. here is Chris"s number. 513-706-3199, tell him Pete sent you.
Old 12-30-2002, 11:00 AM
Registered

thanks guys,
Martin.
Old 12-30-2002, 11:22 AM
Diamond Dave F1

If your interested in a F-1 boat let me know. I have a 2002 activator with 35 documented hours. Brand new shape. Will be letting go for a good price since we are getting a bigger boat for next season. If you want pics of it go to SBI or OPA websites. It is F1-70 The Gecko Tequila race boat. Ica even help sponsor your first couple of races if you want.

Old 12-30-2002, 11:48 AM
Registered

Dave I appreciate it but I don't think I'm well versed enough to start racing (yet) I'm just trying to get my feet wet before I quit my job and go on the road. I'd like to learn more about the sport before diving in blindly.

Martin.
Old 12-30-2002, 08:34 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

To get your feet wet check out the Great Lakes Offshore Racing Association as suggested in the previous post.
www.silvercupseries.com.
Post a message or e-mail one of the officers. Nice people and always helpful. Don't quit your job to go racing. This sport is a serious financial drain on most racers.

raynman
Old 01-08-2003, 10:46 AM
Registered

Great advise from all you guys...As you may or may not know, alot of guys who are racing in boats today may have started with teams as an apprentice, helper, driver, mechanic, etc and eventually got the chance to get some seat time. Like previously said above, its not just racing the boat, its all the partying and fun that compliments the sport as one whole package. You dont need a boat to get involved. What you are doing here is probably the best way to start out. Put your name out there for teams who are looking for crew members. When I was 22, I was dreaming about owning / racing a boat too. I just didnt have the power of the internet to help me learn about the sport or get invovled. It also hard work to prepare a boat for a race. Cleaning and waxing is the easy part.

Good luck ...theres a great bunch of guys out here that are more than happy to help you in the right direction

Last edited by BRUCE SEROFF; 01-08-2003 at 10:50 AM.