Notices

OPA Question ??????????

Old 10-01-2003, 08:02 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question OPA Question ??????????

Where are the on- board GPS??????

If you are going to stay with a P-class format , you are going to need GPS on the boats.

Mike
Old 10-01-2003, 08:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I belive they run an average speed and all you need is a stop watch
Old 10-01-2003, 08:38 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mike,
Offshore score is correct that OPA ran on average speeds. Being in the first year of the organization it was a growth curve that had to be done and for next year I have heard rumors that GPS' s will be introduced.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:54 PM
Registered

Actually, as per the 2003 rules, OPA rules have both max speed and average speed. Average lap speed must be 10 mph less than max speed.

I.e. in P4, max speed is 80 mph (we don't do that 79.9999 chicken**** at OPA). Average lap speed is 70 mph.

Them's are the rulez.

I am a rookie OPA member. I have asked veteran OPA members though. Nobody can remember a boat ever having been DQ'd for speed infractions at OPA.

Introducing GPS units has been discussed. At the last meeting I attended, Kurt said that the idea has been shot down because racers don't like it.

FYI, I have three GPS systems on board, fed by two independent GPS sensors. None of them ever agree. They are sometimes off by 5 mph. A 1-2 mph difference is routine.

Also, during set-up testing, many have learned to discount sudden spikes in GPS speed (digital readout.)

Say you are tweaking the dickens out of your boat to make it go faster than 83mph (because you are hell-bent to race in P3 .... sure ..) You are trimmed all out. 83, 83.5, 82.9, 83.5 ... suddenly: 84.5. Then 83.5, 82.9 etc. Discount the 84.5. It's erroneous.

Last edited by Peconic; 10-01-2003 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:48 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
P Classes wont work,to many sandbaggers out there,also if a guy wants to run a 24 skater he has to run P 2 against some much bigger and more POWERFUL poweroats ,how do you figure that is fair.also if I run my 100 MPH v bottom how can I compete against a 135 MPH 36 SKATER. i CANT WAIT TO HERE THESE RESPONSES.The Jersey Boys have done a good job in trying to revive the sport in the North East but they need to make some major changes to keep it somewhat on a level playing field.Ie A twin engine boat against a single engine boat with a 8 to 10 length difference especially in ocean conditions,in no way shape or form should they be in the same class.Lets get some good rules with some actual parity and it will do much better.I did not respond to get blasted but I am responding to what I have witnessed over the past sevaral races held by OPA. I also did not race in Maryland because of these very much so not even close to being acceptable classes.100 MPH 28 ft boat having to race against a 36 ft SKATER with 2000 hp. NOT FAIR,IS IT or a 140 MPH MOTION NOT FAIR is it NUFF SAID.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:53 PM
Registered

I like it there. We get beaten by Augie in his flying condo. And I still like it there.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:54 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Peconic, you just like the Italian heros after the race. Guy's, GPS's cost money......anyone want to DONATE??????We do have some GPS's, for the last race of the season no one wanted to put them in, ya know, screw it for the last race.........THEY WILL BE IN NEXT YEAR! We could still use donations as we don't have enough to go around and this is our first year getting off the ground.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:27 AM
Registered

This was the first year for OPA to be on their own. As I read all the APBA junk I feel that the guys did one heck of a job getting this up and running. There are some bumps to be worked out yet and as a group we will. Overall the season has been a GREAT one, now we need to build from here. Next season can only get better. Lets just keep our laundry clean and in our own house.

Joe
Old 10-02-2003, 07:43 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Joe

Your 100% right ,they need to build from here.I think Kurt did a very good job with the OPA this year.The GPS are a must for next year.

Mike
Old 10-02-2003, 08:02 AM
Registered

We should have GPS on board. It keeps it fair. However, I feel if a boat breaks speed, it should be penalized by time not DQ. Say for every 1 mph over, penalize 1 minute or something like that. I dont think we should add more classes. I think P-5 should be limited to 28 feet single/ twin or 30 feet single ie: 29 Warlocks or 30 Superboats (excluding F-1 boats) It would be nice to see P-4 Single / Twin Class, But I dont think that will happen. Then more boats would probably move up.

Otherwise...Kudos to OPA/ NJORA

Quick Reply: OPA Question ??????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.