Active racers forum open for business. >

Active racers forum open for business.

Notices

Active racers forum open for business.

Old 11-28-2003, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark,

Not that I am for or against the private site, but I think you are making some invalid assumptions.

First, OSO started this thread, not Peconic. After seeing the interest (from the racers) Peconic did this for the racers, it has not been done as a competitor to OSO. In fact I believe he did it to take the burden off of OSO after they asked the question on if they should privatize this forum.

In addition if OSO wanted to do away with this advertisement as you call it, they have that ability.

Second, the intent of the site is not to fraction the sport, but to take some topics off-line. You never see NASCAR owners bickering about NASCAR in the public eye. But to think they do not have issues is nieve.

Without a doubt I can tell you what it will take to make professional out of this group..... the ability to race the boats for a living. Call it what you will, but as long as the racers are doing this as a hobby, they are not professional (by definition).

To keep in line with what you are saying, Real Professionals do not air their dirty laundy, which is what has been happening on this forum (for better or worse). Which is what they are trying to do, so that even though we are not "professional" in any way, we will come across that way in the public eye.

It is great that you want to sit down and discuss issues that are preventing the growth of the sport. Although I do not understand how this new forum is preventing that?

I will be honest with you, had I been a subscriber to this forum before buying a race boat, I am not sure I would have.

You have equated the desire to have a "private" forum with the desire to destroy the sport, now wouldn't that be a little over the top?

I am going to have trouble believing that the individual(s) who took an active approach in creating this new forum is out to destry the sport given he just partnered on a SVL.

Don't get me wrong, I respect you opinion on keeping things in the open, but that is contradictory with your message promoting a professional environment.

Best wishes,
Rick Young
Owner/throttles
P4-99
Old 11-28-2003, 08:29 PM
Registered

Rick,

I respect your opinion and appreciate the feedback as I hope you do mine. I'm not out to debate either. However I want to clarify a few points with respect to my post.

1. My comment on destroying the sport was aimed at the concerted effort by a group of racers boycotting the OB event convincing themselves that what they were doing was not adversely impacting many, many people beyond themselves.

2. I likened the action of starting another website to the events leading up to the OB boycott. Remember they too thought they were doing the right thing.

3. I expect all professionals to have opinions and or issues. But I also expect them to conduct themselves with the best interests of the sport above their personal interests. Just like the Nascar guys do ....that's not being naive. I may be wrong but the Nascar guys I believe sign a personal pledge to conduct themselves personally in the best interest of the sport.

4. I also believe that private debate and even better, face to face discussion is the best resolution mediator. It's far too easy to suggest unrealistic levels of support or buy in without having a separate fully represented roll call voice of race boat owners.

5. I believe that OSO because of what they have done and tried to do for the sport, deserves our loyalty.

So enough said on my part. I promise now to once again fade into the background.

Regards to all racers,

Mark Skrzypek
Old 11-28-2003, 09:50 PM
sauron

Hi Mark, Hows the weather in VA. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving. Roger (215)

Old 11-29-2003, 01:38 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mark,

question for you.

since all of the racers did not go to the dark side per say. are you ( gm ) going to stay and support the racers next year who did go.

one more question. are you ( gm ) willing to help us hit the status we are all looking for or are you just there for a little r&d and sell the motors to the racers.

Treadwell

[email protected]
Old 11-29-2003, 07:05 AM
Registered

Eric,

Your questions are fair ones. But they are difficult to answer because I am not in a position to speak directly for GM, but rather just a member of the team who I believe understands GM's purpose for being involved in this motorsport. So my comments here are a reflection of my own opinions and knowledge of some facts.

First let me say that GM (as a corporate sponsor of APBA Offshore) has committed to an additional 2 years of sponsorship in exchange for marketing value. That is the bottom line! They expect that their involvement will help sell GM and GMC trucks and demonstrate the capability of GM Powertrain engineered engines.

They get some R&D value as a bonus that helps them build better truck engines. They are not trying and never were trying to sell marine engines. That is left up to their OEM accounts (like Mercury, Innovation Marine, Volvo Penta, etc).

As to what happened with racer participation at OB all I can offer is that every person and sponsor I have talked to was disappointed with those racers that chose to make their point by disappointing their fans, local communities, sponsors, volunteers, etc. If any company is going to invest their valuable marketing budget, they want assurances that those they invest in will do their very best to not disappoint them. All sponsors recognize that racers make a huge personal investment in maintaining a race team. But there were and are better ways to effect change and make the sport better.

What happened at OB made the event much less than it could have been for the good and growth of the sport. Even so, those that showed up put on a great show and made the event happen.

The answer to the underlying question will be obvious when those involved have had the opportunity to reflect on the past and chart their course of action for the future.

Regards, Mark
Old 11-29-2003, 07:23 AM
eriracer

Mark,

Is there anyway that I can e-mail you a question that I would like to talk to you about.

Old 11-29-2003, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Mark, I am embarrassed about some of the comments that have been written on this board and in an attempt to keep some of this away from the sponsors and fans I thought it best to keep some concerns private. I am not leaving the fans and racers of OSO by any means.
MD
Old 11-30-2003, 03:42 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mark,

thank you for and honest answer. and thank you for the continuing support for the next two years.

Treadwell
Old 11-30-2003, 09:38 AM
Registered

www.offshoreonlyracing.com coming soon. Not sure what it will be but it sounded good.
Old 11-30-2003, 12:56 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally posted by OffshoreOnly
www.offshoreonlyracing.com coming soon. Not sure what it will be but it sounded good.
I certainly hope the Racing Section isn't going to dissappear from the Main OSO site...

Many people visit for all the valuable information from racers, pit crews etc...

To spinoff onto another site for "racers only", advertisers that currently pay for OSO's main site may not renew their advertising if they see their targeted audience has been split up.... unless of course their advertising is duplicated onto the racing site as well...at no extra charge.

It's just a thought......

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !

Quick Reply: Active racers forum open for business.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.