Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > General Racing Discussion
Offshore Racers Form New Powerboat Racing Association!! >

Offshore Racers Form New Powerboat Racing Association!!

Notices

Offshore Racers Form New Powerboat Racing Association!!

Old 12-22-2003, 09:06 AM
Mike A.

Originally posted by outer42
HEY MIKE I SPELLED CHECKED IT FOR YOU ,USE SPELL CHECK. HAHAHAHAHA
You know what? I have no idea how? Can you help me??

Mike

Old 12-22-2003, 10:08 AM
jane wharton

Thumbs up Re: Offshore Racers Form New Powerboat Racing Association!!

Originally posted by OffshoreOnly
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - Friday , December, 19, 2003

A group of offshore race boat owners today announced the formation of The Offshore Super Series Powerboat Racing Association, a not for profit organization dedicated to the development and growth of offshore powerboat racing. The founding organization includes representation from SuperCat, SuperCat Lite, Super Vee, and Super Vee Lite. The objectives of the association are to further the image and professionalism of offshore racing and to provide quality venues in which spectators, sponsors, producers and the membership can all benefit through the growth of this emerging sport.

Powerboat racing has long been recognized as a beneficial advertising medium for sponsors and provides a significant economic impact for the waterfront business communities which host the events. In 2004, the Offshore Super Series Powerboat Racing Association plans to race a seven city tour, the details of which will be announced shortly.

Currently approximately thirty teams in the above categories have committed to racing in the new organization. Membership in the association consists of both boat owners and crew members.

The organization expects to make further organizational announcements in the next few days.

Old 12-22-2003, 10:15 AM
jane wharton

FOR TEN PLUS YEARS NEW ORLEANIANS ENJOYED OFFSHORE RACING AT ITS BEST. OUT OF THE CLEAR BLUE WE HAD A RACE LAST YEAR BECAUSE OF GEOGRAPICAL DIFFERENCES. WE (I) NEED RACING BACK IN THIS AREA. THE NEW ORLEANS MARKET IS A GREAT STOP FOR THE SPORT. IF A NEW SANCTION BODY CAN DO IT, MORE POWER TO THEM........... ANYTHINGS BETTER THAN THE "A I N T S" THANK YOU.

Old 12-22-2003, 04:11 PM
Trim it Up!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Mark Mathews
Too Old,
Only 10 more posts before you're at 10,000!
Great new avatar by the way. The message in your avatar is something we agree on.
Mark
10 more posts?? BTW, I thought his avatars were self portraits, couldn't resist this one KIDDING!!
Old 12-22-2003, 05:47 PM
Registered

Cat, very good simple points.
Old 12-22-2003, 07:11 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Jane, you probably would have seen SBI come back to Na'wlins if the title sponsor would have:

1. Paid him for last year - SBI didn't get paid a penny.
2. Offered to pay him to bring the race back this year.

It ain't easy to put on an offshore powerboat race. Ask anyone that's tried.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:40 PM
Registered

This does not appear to be in the best overall interest of the sport. Communication, not fragmentation, is the key to resolving differences. Resolution of these differences should be the top of everyone's agenda.
Old 12-24-2003, 11:28 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NOT FOR PROFIT

The first time i agree with mike a
Old 12-25-2003, 03:36 PM
Mike A.

Randy,

Since I am not allowed to reply on Wet Pits, I will have to respnd here to what you and Frank wrote there.

Frank, I thought you agreed that if you spoke to people who were saying things privately rather than publicly, you would name names and tell them to post here as well.

Frank apparently spoke to someone in Sarasota who says that our race there is not a done deal. So Frank, who did you speak to and what exactly did they say?

And Randy, you say you do not like being called a boycotter. No one called you that. You showed in Orange Beach and all of your efforts were appreciated all year long.

The Boycotters know who they are and so do we. Enough about them.

Look, everyone is free to race wherever they choose. If enough people race in enough different places then just be prepared to accept that you are going to end up with club racing, hit and miss safety, sponsors, television and yep, like or not, schedules.

If you want prize money, television, sponsors, quality events, consistent schedules, high points funds, etc. you are going to need ONE STRONG FOR PROFIT league. I think alot of people are starting to figure it out and that is why the call for unification is so strong.

But make no mistake, OSS - temproary name I can assure you in more than one way - is not a player. They had one race in the premier venue in the world with a ready made group of racers who already had reservations, etc. and managed to pull 29 boats. They have no schedule, no infrastructure, no committed boats, no sponsors, no staff, no experience and no expertise except for a local promoter in Texas whose word is not good either. Nothing.

This is a group that has thus far been founded by people who cannot be trusted when they sign agreements, steal rules, steal venues, steal classes and series names, and are actually actively soliciting our staff members.

Whether you like to hear that or not it is true and they are going to have a nearly impossible time accomplishing anything without establishing a multi-year track record of performance. And they are going to have to do that on their own dime because no legitimate company is going to sponsor them and there is not a long list of venues out there ready to throw money at them. Who wants to be the next boycott victim?

They have no business plan. No budget and as of a few weeks ago they admitted they did not even have a bank account and yet so many racers seem to be poised to "give them some time." Well, go ahead.

But as I have been saying for weeks, you all are going to wake up to the harsh reality that everything we built and so many of you, racers and fans alike, enjoyed is going to be gone. I am not paying for it anymore and neither are my partners. GM will leave, the sport will splinter and it will become a fourth tier sport that most people laugh at - again.

Mark my words. Harsh yes, Prophetic. Well, we may have to wait and see.

In the meantime, we have laid out an alternative plan that can keep the train rolling and now with unification talk in the air between APBA and SBI, the train may even be able to pick up speed.

If the racers take the wait and see approach then that is fine just so long as everyone understands the consequences.

You all just have to decide what you want.

Mike

Old 12-28-2003, 02:11 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Still dont understand

"6. As for prize money, every team who showed in Orange Beach got paid for St. Pete as we promised. Sarasota has been paid as well except to the boycotter's. We have paid every dime of prize money for 5 years, which totals in the multi-millions of dollars. We have been beat up, battered and bruised financially this year. We are not hiding that fact, and it is too bad. "

Mike I still don't get this one

You say all that showed up at OB "got what they were promised"

but hadn't you promised that if you win a race you get X amount of money at EACH race??? and I know of no pre understanding that you had to attend the next race to get paid for the previous one

who cares what you promised for orange beach

your promise (though implied) was that you got a trophy and a check for placing at a APBA offshore race race
i didn't know winnings had a stipulation on attending the next race

again this is for discussion sake

I truly have yet to understand how you can NOT provide what was promised prior to OB race IE: winnings and trophy's

why was one thing predicated on another??
when did that policystart??
will that be the policy from now on??

Quick Reply: Offshore Racers Form New Powerboat Racing Association!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.