Notices

New One Design "Team Underdog" Boat on display at Cleveland Boat Show

Old 03-14-2004, 06:19 PM
JKK
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default too Chris

Chris

What are the chances of getting "all" the Bat boats together again, Merc and Volvo. Curious on the differences in packages, handling and speeds of each set up, I know you are running the 377 from Merc in the old ones, but what are in the newer volvo powered boats.

I would be more interested in your class, full time, if there where more boats. So what can we do, weight for example, to get all the Bat boats out of P, or retired and into the one design class with the current.

From what I am hearing if you can find a formula to do it fairly for all, you would have over 10 boats easy, maybe 20, depending on what ones are floating around.

Would be great for your class, and with the new APBA offshore I do not see why you could not petition to change the rules to accommodate more boats.

You may end up with the most boats running of any class. Can you say "Hall of Champions"

Remember I know nothing about this class or boat, so be gentle....

Thoughts?
Old 03-14-2004, 09:00 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

JKK- all the boats in OneDesign are currently running the volvo DPXi's with volvo's 320hp efi smallblocks. at Ket West in 2002 there were quite a few in the dry pits. most of which i had never seen before. for 2003 Key West there were 15 to 20 Bats ready to be shiped over from Europe to compete in the worlds but after the problems with the race they decided to not come over . that would have been awsome. come to think of it i wonder how many there actually are in the U.S. right now. hmmm . . would be cool to get them all together
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 03-14-2004, 09:38 PM
Registered

JKK,
I am not sure there are that many "bats" out there. I know Chris has 5-6, I have one, Utah has one, and there is the Santiago boat. Coupled with the Underdog boat give us 9-10 that I know of with SBC engines. There is one in San Diego (that I have only seen pictures of) with a big block.

Now with that stated, Chris has been working on a new engine package for his boats that is being done with the single purpose of unification.

If there are more I would love to know who has them. If they are just lying around, I would love to make the owners an offer and get a few more racing out west.

From what I can see, we would be hard pressed to find an individual that has done more for offshore racing than Chris. Tell me who else brings 5+ boats to every race.

We were asked why we were willing to bring one out west (and have the only one), my response... "Somebody has to be first". Without additinal boats we can still race the P classes.

So my suggestion is to not worry about the count, if you want to race a bat, get one and race. If everyone who is thinking about it would do it, boat count would take care if itself.

The fact that an F2 throttleman is even looking at these boats is also quite a compliment.

Come on out west, I will give you a ride.

best wishes,
Rick
Old 03-14-2004, 11:07 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Rick, did you get a chance to check out one of my dashes i posted a pick of on the general discussion page. heres a link to the thread link i'm working on a few other carbon fiber goodies for the Bats
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 03-15-2004, 11:19 AM
Registered

Dave, Nice Dash!!!

Please check your PM, I think I would like one. We were discussing changing this dash this year.

If I could get one in the next month, we could have it in before our first POPRA race in July.

Thanks
Old 03-16-2004, 06:07 AM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,735 Likes on 3,794 Posts

just a added note when dr.s ran the bravo 3 the boat overheated, (sarasota race 2001) The bravo 3 is designed for large crusier type boats.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:53 AM
JKK
Registered

Thanks for the info Rick, May just take you up on your offer. Just saw one for sale in the classified ads.

http://server1.offshoreonly.com/cgi-...uery=retrieval

Anyone know the history of it?
Old 03-18-2004, 01:15 PM
Registered

I think that is the former #6 of Dr. Santiago.

If you go to their website that is the only one listed.

This is a winning boat, that I got a chance to look at in St. Pete in October. It is a very very nice boat (in my opinion the 2nd nicest , although I have not seen Scott's boat).

If it is the boat I think, it is well cared for and would make a great boat.

The boat was the 2002 P4 National and World Championship boat (they were on a roll).

Also talk to Chris if you are thinking about buying. While his boats have a few more miles, they are more affordable than this one. If you are serious about buying one, I know Scott Utah was asking $55k for his last season.

Good luck,
Rick
Old 03-19-2004, 12:24 PM
JKK
Registered

I am going to talk to Chris before I do anything

Thanks
Old 03-19-2004, 08:01 PM
Registered

Hey Chris, if JKK buys one I want a commission!!!