Notices

? for T2X or Linder about Biloxi

Old 04-19-2004, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default ? for T2X or Linder about Biloxi

Question for T2X or George Linder
_
Rich & George, the extreme shallow waters of Biloxi have created all kinds of discussion both productive and not so productive. One of the topics became the Mark Lavin accident and what was the catalyst to start the Lavin safety foundation. In a discussion this weekend I was told the Jesse James boat actually hit the bottom. Is the true or just folk lore?
Old 04-19-2004, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Still Crazy", the 38' aluminum Cougar Cat that dove at 100 mph in Key West in '83, killed Dick Fullam and Mike Poppa.It hit the bottom at low speed, but after the crew was killed by water and inertia forces. In really shallow water, you might worry about landing upside down and not being able to get out of the canopy.
Old 04-19-2004, 01:07 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: ? for T2X or Linder about Biloxi

Originally posted by Fever Mike
Question for T2X or George Linder
_
Rich & George, the extreme shallow waters of Biloxi have created all kinds of discussion both productive and not so productive. One of the topics became the Mark Lavin accident and what was the catalyst to start the Lavin safety foundation. In a discussion this weekend I was told the Jesse James boat actually hit the bottom. Is the true or just folk lore?
It is Folk Lore........ The Jesse James boat never hit bottom.

But Biloxi is significantly shallower than the Key West area where JJ stuffed.

T2x
Old 04-19-2004, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don't mean to but in here...but how shallow is it in Biloxi?
Old 04-19-2004, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's been a few years since I've been there so I don't remember how deep the channel is. It used to get very shallow south of the channel, under 2' if I remember right. I know we messed up some props trying to idle closer to the island.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

According to the charts, it's 2-3' deep on some parts of the racecourse. Of course, that's at low tide.........

http://www.offshoresuperseries.com/biloxicoursebig.jpg
Old 04-19-2004, 03:26 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally posted by BROWNIE
[B In really shallow water, you might worry about landing upside down and not being able to get out of the canopy. [/B]
That has always been the issue with tunnel boats ....and they can be uprighted with a couple of strong guys and a good heave. A full size O/S....with its cockpits imbedded in silt would be a real challenge. In Europe and in Unlimited Hydros, they mandate bottom exits.

T2x
Old 04-19-2004, 04:45 PM
LOOK AT THE LEAD NOW!!!!!
Platinum Member

T2X,

Do you feel that bottom exits should be mandated on all New boats being built for competition here in the States? Just curious on your feelings?
Old 04-19-2004, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member

Fever Mike,

Right now some do and some do not. I am not sure on what boats currently do or do not as well. Just an idea that came to me as a preventive measure later on. I have seen photos of boats that have gone over with the hatches installed and the occupants climbed right out of Canopy through the bottom. Others needed to swim out that did not have the hatch. Again I am sure there are Pros and Cons to this but I think it may be good for the Cats. As far as a V Bottom goes, I do not think it could be done due to the extreme pressure sustained to the hull on a V Bottom on re-entry from launching in rough sea conditions.

I am just speculating on an idea that I think may be a good ruling for future Cats built in the future. I know if I was having a Cat built that I would spend the extra $$$ for the tunnel Hatch to increase my chances of coming out of an accident easier. I think this should be a ? given to owners of equipment for new boats to be built at later dates.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:11 PM
Platinum Member

Notice on this picture below in the tunnel a black squared hatch for what I am referring to for those who are not sure of what I am referring to. I am sure that Racers who have the hatch and have used are much happier now that they had it. This was on the Drambuie on Ice 40' Skater a few years back.
Attached Thumbnails ? for T2X or Linder about Biloxi-skater40drambuie4.jpg  

Quick Reply: ? for T2X or Linder about Biloxi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.