Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > General Racing Discussion
question for P-4,F-1,A     BOATS >

question for P-4,F-1,A BOATS

Notices

question for P-4,F-1,A BOATS

Old 05-04-2004, 07:22 AM
Offshore Addiction

Question question for P-4,F-1,A BOATS

If all these groups were to combine into one class with a speed limit of 83 mph,run a national points,prize money,and be limited to a revised set of A-class rules,who might be intersested in this type of change,basically the same for the old F-2,b-boats,and twin engine P-3,all combining into a new set of B-class rules to simplify and create larger classes and some real competition? now even I have set forth my oppinions on this subject, this is only a ? for thought,a few inquiring minds would like to know,so keep the public comments polite and any gripes can e-mail me personally.

thanks AL

Old 05-04-2004, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Sounds good. Could you get everyone to run the same motor?
MD
Old 05-04-2004, 08:01 AM
Offshore Addiction

randy,I think it would have to basically come down to a cubic Inch,vrs compression,and allow you to choose your cam and carb and exh,or upgrade computers or modify your fuel injection, as long as you keep your ci's and compresion the same,that would allow traditional V's to create extra power to be able to maintain speeds that step bottoms can maintain,a speedlimit cap would have to be the answer.but as I said before,input is what this thread is about and getting all the boats out of the garage and creating several more competitive classes again.

Old 05-04-2004, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I think is a great idea to group most of the open cockpit single engine boats into a revised A-Class;and most of the open cockpit twin engine boats into a revised B-Class.But is a top speed limit really necessary if the tech rules are enforced properly?...and if so, 83MPH for open cockpit single engine boats is too fast in my opinion.If a top speed of 75MPH was used you could really merge most of the current P5 boats into this class as well....and a competition speed of 75MPH is more along the lines of what the original A Class, and F1 Class boats were intended to do...until tech rule changes in both classes destroyed them.I also think a top speed limit of 85MPH(if bracketing is used at all)would work better for B-Class.

If anything else, this concept addresses the issue of having single engine boats competing against twin engine boats,which in my opinion, is one of the issues hampering the level of competition in the current P-Class format.

I also agree that more boats per class will make the racing more exciting for everyone invloved...and these classes have great potential for large fleets of boats!
Hopefully, the revised A and B Classes can become a reality, and the entire Outlaw Series format can be revised to improve the level of competition and attract more boats.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:35 AM
Offshore Addiction

very good point on the speeds,and some great input,also its funny because the P-5 boats were also addressed the same way in the conversation yesterday.keep the comments coming!

Old 05-04-2004, 09:01 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

I thought the whole idea of P class was to get rid of the engine specs.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:30 AM
Offshore Addiction

another issue,very good,but if your running a 454 and I'm running a 632 cubic inch monster,and both boats are propped to do 83 mph are you going to yell because I have accellartion that requires dental work after each corner,or are you going to be content?once again just asking,another point is most of the P-4 and F-1,and A boats are already running somewhere towards 502 ci motors.and ron,I think the main issues are to create larger classes,with less tech.

Old 05-04-2004, 09:57 AM
Registered

These are obviously tough issues to address....but in my opinion, the engine specification should be based on a parameter of 510CI/500HP.With all the used HP500'S available,and the ability of some teams to build thier own affordable 500 horsepower engines.....this could be a cost effective solution.

In order to keep the conventional vees competitive with the stepped vees,maybe additional weight could be added to the the stepped boats.

Allowing the conventional boats more power is a solution..but high HP engines are expensive to build and maintain, and these classes should remain as entry level as is possible in offshore powerboat racing. Again,just my opinion.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:05 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New B-Boat Class

I am definitely interested in this concept. I really dislike the concept of P-Class with the GPS or average lap speed.
What if the top speed control method was based around a calculated "speed range" with rev limiters and props? This method would use two hull efficiency factors. One for stepped bottoms and one for straight vee's. This method would be attractive to most racers as the max $ impact on any team would be a set of props. Each team would know the set up prior to the race. APBA inspection would seal the props and rev limiters.
Now....RACE!
Sprague
Old 05-04-2004, 10:54 AM
Offshore Addiction

being able to regulate speed would be done by what then?you can't regulate speed w\props and limiters,most inspectors are good at the calculations,but,tell me who's got enough time to calculate the slippage on each and every hull to get the exact #'s?

Quick Reply: question for P-4,F-1,A BOATS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.