Notices

Attention: APBA, GLSCS, OPA, OSS, POPRA and SBI

Old 06-09-2004, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Attention: APBA, GLSCS, OPA, OSS, POPRA and SBI

Originally Posted by Mark Mathews
That ain't right from where I'm standin'
Currently, in P class, you get rewarded for driving 79.9, but not 80.0 all the time. Or you get rewarded for not exceeding some average lap speed, which nobody understands. Or you get rewarded for getting lucky with the GPS crapshoot. What kind of racing is that?

Handicapping has worked in other sports for hundreds of years. Obviously, it did not kill the interest in horse racing, for instance. Handicapping works with other boat races, it sure did not kill unlimited hydroplanes, or murdered the interest in Miss Budweiser.

If done properly, handicapping makes for very tight races. And that's what fans want.

Last edited by Peconic; 06-09-2004 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:45 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

This is the reason Reggie left APBA. He didn't want to add weight every time he won a race. How exactly does handcapping horses work? Do they get a heavier jockey? A lead wieght?

Mark, just like a winner who gets penalized might loose interest, just think about the team that never comes in first or second. How do we keep them coming back year after year?

In boat racing a great hull design can mean a several MPH advantage. (this is Reggie's point) Only to have it slowed down by wieght. Why bother making a better hull? It impeads progress and removes the need to advance technology and design. Which also removes a lot of costs.

In Nascar, if a new car body design wins too much, they make a change to slow it down. So here's what it comes down to. Are we racings for fans to watch and enjoy the show? Or are we racing to give you guys a place to have some fun?

Which is it?

Right now, I believe we race so you can have some fun, similar to playing golf. If some people happen to think watching a race is cool, then they'll watch. If not they won't watch and you'll still race.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:55 AM
Registered

Ron, that adding weight thing happens every day in all the spec classes. If a boats walks away, there is a rule change. The problem is, it is being done willie-nillie. Look where F1 ended last year, a mess of different weights for different motors, and still everybody was frustrated.

The elegance of handicapping is that it is a dynamic rule. Takles care of itself, like all good rules.

If horse breeders can live with it, who spend more creativity and money on their horses than we ever do on our boats, then we should be able to give it a try.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts
Re: Attention: APBA, GLSCS, OPA, OSS, POPRA and SBI

Not to bust on anyone but P class should not be an overly atractive place to race for more than a year. Keep the prize money low,the entry fee low and the fun level high. We all like to win but in P class there is no way yet to determine your skill level or valitity of setup. With boats that have a million differet specs in the same class its hard to call yourself a winner. Test youself in P class and if you feel you might have what it takes then build yourself a spec. boat and step up to a pro level class. (I hate to use the term pro level,sorry). There is no BS in these classes, you either win or you dont, end of story. I also think maybe just have 2-3 starts in P class and also forget about points,GPS,rules and big titles. Make it a place to go beat on your boat and pick who you want to beat in the pits and then go try. We have all gotten WAY TO SERIOUS with this P class stuff.
PS And if you think you can land a serious sponsor in P class think again.
Mad Dog Randy F1/SVL/P3/P4/P5 you pick
Old 06-09-2004, 09:19 AM
Registered

I agree with Peconic as well OMG. I would much rather race with a bunch of boats than just a few. I raced F1 last year and got smoked by the 525's and it was frustrating thus not doing it this year. I will be racing my 24 Pantera in P5 and would welcome handicapping. How would you do it?
Old 06-09-2004, 09:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TYPHOON
Not to bust on anyone but P class should not be an overly atractive place to race for more than a year. Keep the prize money low,the entry fee low and the fun level high. We all like to win but in P class there is no way yet to determine your skill level or valitity of setup. With boats that have a million differet specs in the same class its hard to call yourself a winner. Test youself in P class and if you feel you might have what it takes then build yourself a spec. boat and step up to a pro level class. (I hate to use the term pro level,sorry). There is no BS in these classes, you either win or you dont, end of story. I also think maybe just have 2-3 starts in P class and also forget about points,GPS,rules and big titles. Make it a place to go beat on your boat and pick who you want to beat in the pits and then go try. We have all gotten WAY TO SERIOUS with this P class stuff.
PS And if you think you can land a serious sponsor in P class think again.
Mad Dog Randy F1/SVL/P3/P4/P5 you pick
Well said Randy, agree with you 100%. P-class should be a place to have FUN and race. I guess one of the problems is people that just stay there and never take the next step or dial their boat into the top of the class, do I say sandbaggers? If someone wins 3 consecutive races they should be moved up to the next higher class, then they can use their talent to dial the boat in that class and give the rookies a better chance.

Don't hate to use "pro-level classes". If you want to have any chance at attracting any serious corporate sponsorship that's what those other classes need to be. It doesn't make the racers in those classes any "better" than other racers, it just defines the racing as more of a business instead of a fun run.

As far as handicaps, how much weight was added to the Fountain Mercury boat in 2000? I believe it was almost 2000#, it was to the point that the driver and throttleman believed they were having serious handling problems that posed a safety concern. So at what point do you stop adding weight?
Old 06-09-2004, 09:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ScottB
I agree with Peconic as well OMG. I would much rather race with a bunch of boats than just a few. I raced F1 last year and got smoked by the 525's and it was frustrating thus not doing it this year. I will be racing my 24 Pantera in P5 and would welcome handicapping. How would you do it?
This is has a lot more to do with tinkering with the rules than providing handicaps. The F classes were an outstanding concept but constant rule changes really hurt it.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:41 AM
VIP Member

Randy, Skill level? A lot of the P boats are more of the race breed than the Spec boats. Hop in the third seat, I guarantee you shi@ your pants. I cant see racing a boat that has the same motor as my hauler, might as well race the big white truck. Any comments, come to NJ and your my ***** HA HA HA PS can you bring along BJ?
Old 06-09-2004, 09:51 AM
Registered

Randy, Your statement about not landing big sponsors in P Class is wrong, I did
Old 06-09-2004, 10:06 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

I guess someone forgot to tell Augie he couldn't get a sponsor in P class.

We should really call it Sportsman class racing. P Class just makes no sense to the fan.
Attached Thumbnails Attention: APBA, GLSCS, OPA, OSS, POPRA and SBI-nesquick.jpg   Attention: APBA, GLSCS, OPA, OSS, POPRA and SBI-race-bunny.jpg  

Quick Reply: Attention: APBA, GLSCS, OPA, OSS, POPRA and SBI

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.