3-point lifting strap leg lengths >

3-point lifting strap leg lengths

Notices

3-point lifting strap leg lengths

Old 06-15-2004, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3-point lifting strap leg lengths

I'm set up for 3-point lifting, and my straps are WAY off. Are any of you guys set up for a 3-point system? This is for a 33' boat, twin BBC's, tranny's, drives, about 7700 lbs.

Lifting points are on the transom, and about 1' back from the stock lifting eye location.

Lift-It is waiting for lenghts so they can turn it around quickly.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 06-15-2004, 04:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 3-point lifting strap leg lengths

Brian,
I have a three point system on my 30' Scarab. I got mine dead level by the doing the following: Find way to have a point where the lifting ring would be. This point needs to be directly above the CG of the boat. We used a truss in my 14' high warehouse. Take a string or line from this point and connect it to the three pick-up points on the boat. Measure. The two from the transom are the same, and the front line is likely a different length. If this doesn't make any sense, call me.
Sprague
214 632 0798
Old 06-15-2004, 04:51 PM
LarryD

you guys had the 10m , IF I would guess I would make the back two straps 20' and the front would be 24'or if you don't mind testing get to front 22' and get a short 4' strap that way you could extend the 22 by 4' with a shackle or double the 4 over to simply add the 2' . If you want give me the distance from the rear attachment point to where you have the front one mounted and I will get you very close ( I like a 60deg from vertical lift angle)

Larry SVL 5

Old 06-15-2004, 05:55 PM
Registered

Thanks Sprague and Larry. OK, first question is - how do I determine the CG without hanging the boat? The length question is easy, that's 28'4" from the rear lifting eyes to the bow lifting point. Vertically, the front lifting point is 12" higher than the transom lifting eyes with the boat sitting on the trailer with everything at towing level.

Watching the Hot Pits this weekend, looks like most boats hang nose-high by about a foot or so.

Thanks guys,
Brian
Old 06-15-2004, 07:09 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brian,

If you do not come up with anything for the straps, we can do it here at the shop this weekend. Straps should run you around a couple hundred bucks or less.

Chris
Old 06-15-2004, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brian,
You have your answer without the CG...it is a guess. Maybe guess some more for the short term, and then hang the boat when time allows.
Sprague
Old 06-15-2004, 08:28 PM
Registered

Thanks Sprague and Chris.

Chris, I'd like to make sure I have it right in Cinci, but if it's not right I can always ramp it at your site. My next stop after yours is Sarasota, so I don't have the ramp option there, seeing I have a steel trailer. I appreciate your offer. If I can't get things straightened out between Lift-It and Fountain this week, I'll take you up on that offer.

Thanks again,
Brian
Old 06-15-2004, 08:47 PM
LarryD

the cg in your boat should be under your feet probably 10-12 feet forward of transom based on that you need a 23-24 foot bow sling and 20 rear slings use that and I think you will be right in the game if you make them let me know how it works out Larry

Old 06-16-2004, 06:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brain,

I got new straps for Jeff Haylett's 10m a couple of years ago, I will call him and get the lengths or see if I can borrow them if you need for this weekend.

Easiest way to find center of gravity, get two yardarms, one on ether side, work picking up the boat, when you pick it up balanced, you have the front-to-rear cog.

Mike Sadlon
Old 06-16-2004, 07:52 AM
Registered

Hi Mike,

If you could get those lengths, that would be great. As I said earlier, Sarasota on the July 4th weekend is where I will definately need straps. This weekend in Cinci will be my only opportunity to test mine, so I'd like to have my own and get 'em right. Lift-It is just waiting for lengths, and can build them today and have them to me tomorrow.

Thanks,
Brian

Quick Reply: 3-point lifting strap leg lengths

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.