Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > General Racing Discussion
Boat racing or GPS speed watching >

Boat racing or GPS speed watching

Notices

Boat racing or GPS speed watching

Old 07-12-2004, 08:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Boat racing or GPS speed watching

Running your own gps along with the official gps is a good back up to compare just in case calibration is off. As far as radar guns go if Angel one or a film copter is running with you witch object is the gun reading? Jo P4-88

Last edited by Joe Todesca; 07-12-2004 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK guys,I been in chicago for 3 days and havent been near this thing so i havent had a chance to defend my team or boat,or what i stated about the speeds.First about my team who scotty seems to think are to dumb to run my boat because i dont let them practice.For a boat that started dead last they did damn good passing 11 boats inc.the second place P4 boat in SBI before a lousy defective timming chain let go,and im DARN PROUD of them.AS far as the boat goes it is a handfull to drive and throttle but they are getting a feel for it,but it wont be back this year and niether will I,so say what you want because i really dont give a damn any more. MEL VOSS
Old 07-12-2004, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mel, You just answered your own questions. You started last so you had crappy water thus the speed was down. I NEVER said your team was dumb, I just said what Dave told me. He was still getting used to the boat. That also will make you run slower. It would be unreasonable to expect
them to run it like they ran Vixen. If it was vixen, you can bet your ass Dave would have been right with the leaders. Can't you realize that there are factors involved other than"If they beat our boat that I dialed in at 79.9, they must be cheating"
Don't misunderstand me, I have the utmost respect for you, Dave, and the rest of your team. I am only pissed about your insinuation of us sandbagging or cheating.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Mark,
Did the GLSCS have the GPS units for the Mentor race? If so, what were the top speeds in each class?
Sprague
Old 07-12-2004, 04:05 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark, you guys were flying in Sarasota and the boat looked beautiful as you went by The Flying Condo! So good if fact that I couldn't even think about throwing a salami at ya to slow you down. After it was all over the best part was giving the kids Nesquik shirts, to me you can't beat a kids smile. Chris, THANK YOU for the complements. You guys and ladies (and the kids) are what make it worth while for Kevin and I to attend these races. Chris, you always bring a show with the Bat Boats when you come...Real Class Act. Thanks to you and Josh for always supporting The Jersey Boyz. All the BS about the gun as a "J" in Jersey and the bats are for a show and you realize that and go with it, you know we're there to have a good time with everyone and I hope everyone feels that way about us and The Jersey Boyz. Now back to the GPS's, Whatever EVERYONE wants is OK by me. I don't know how and if they work nor do I give a damn, I'm a Moving Man/Trailer Driver. Back to having FUN!
Old 07-12-2004, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Mark,
I guess if everybody breaks out it doesn't make any difference in the outcome. It does seem strange that all/most of the GPS units were not working. I do agree that some measurement system is a positive start for the GLSCS. Anything is better than "trust me". At the end of the day, the GPS system will likely remain frustrating for many.
I hope someone will eventually try controlling props and RPM. The two top boats are not likely to be able to hold back. At this point, they become eligible for RPM adjustment. As the pack tightens, fun increases for all involved in the sport...blaa,blaa, blaa....
When am I coming out of the barn? I'm trying to walk the talk.
Sprague
Old 07-13-2004, 07:42 AM

Thank You GLSCS for a great time in Mentor, we had lots of fun and look forward to the next race. The GPS had some calibration problems but I'm sure they will be resolved. In P4 none of the units worked correctly. Jo / nav. P4-88