Notices

Racing with OPA

Old 09-28-2004, 11:46 AM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing with OPA

I for one know exactly how much time and effort goes into promoting one race nevermind, five. If you think OPA is making a fortune, off you all...keep dreaming. Yes there are a few scoring issues, but look at the big picture, where have you raced...awsome sites. Sites the National series would die for. I am not going to go on and on, but I cant imagine why Kurt goes through all the trouble, only to be slamed shame on you all......Smitty
Old 09-28-2004, 12:05 PM
Registered

Default Re: Racing with OPA

No offense Smitty, but I don't think anyone doesn't appreciate the time and effort put in by Kurt. But when race teams pay money, travel, and hard work themselves, a consistant, black and white set of rules, that are abided is not too much to ask for and it is my perception is the only thing lacking is the consistancy. That being said, I would not be deterred from running any OPA races in the future because I had more fun this year with you guys than I,ve had in the past few years
Old 09-28-2004, 12:09 PM
VIP Member

No offense taken Scotty.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Same thing Scott said, No offense meant, but obviously we need to address this issue!!
Old 09-28-2004, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

No offense meant, just constructive ideas for an abviously flawed process!! Smitty, believe me when I tell you our team appreciates all of the organizers of OPA. We probably wouldn't be able to race otherwise!
Old 09-28-2004, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Shane that is a huge part of the problem, There is NO rule book. I was teased at the meeting for asking questions about rules. They were answered by the Ostrich himself and were VERY CLEAR to everybody in the room. Now here is where the problem comes in. There is nothing in writing. The poor staff now has to figure out the rules on the fly. What has happened is the rules have now changed in a 12hr period and most teams race to win with in the rules they were told at the drivers meeting. Compound that with Kirk racing in P4 and P2 and at the ramp pulling his boats out. When he shows up at the awards to find a lynch mob that wants to shoot him. He then sticks with his staffs findings that were different than what he said at the meeting and now many teams positions are changed. I'm not writing this to slam on Kirt and be a cry baby. I am hopeing he will listen and react to what his racers want. Fine tunning is a great word for OPA. Lets get the fun back like it was when Eddie and Augie had more to say in the operations of OPA.
MD
Old 09-28-2004, 02:46 PM
Registered

OK ...how bout this?

Kirt, you may be pissed with all the BS being said. But look at it from the other side. We all wanted GPS because we felt it was the only way to police max speeds. We still want GPS. The problem is that the GPS that you provided are flawed and mounted in the wrong place on the boat. Now, I know they were discontinued and I know how much they cost. When we have to pay a 150.00 fee for GPS units and you buy them for 50.00 and they dont work, we have a big problem.

I have a few suggestions that may help us for next year.

appoint 1 person in each class to rep that class in meetings with OPA.

bring one boat from each class out into the bay and run a mock race course with gps on boats and also clock their lap speeds.

Run the boats out in the ocean with GPS on Bow rail and one in box on dash. check the accuracy of the readings.

when we have a meeting in the winter, it should be a meeting, and not a social hour. save the booze and food for after the meeting.

bottom line is very simple. GPS that work and DQ for breaking out ...PERIOD. no time penalties because some will find a way to make that work to their advavntage.

we are not lookin to hang you out to dry, but something needs to be done. And we are willing to help. But, you need to let us help.

So, that being said, talk it over with Smitty and Augie and let them be your ears and voice. They speak to all the racers and they speak to you. So, lets move on to make this another learning curve toward making things better for the upcoming season. Otherwise, there will not be an upcoming season, because you will have no boats.

Thanks
Old 09-28-2004, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Well said Bruce
MD
Old 09-28-2004, 04:10 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shane B
Just a question how do you get insurance without a rule book POPRA went through this last year when they were deciding on what to do for the 2004 season, they were told without a printed rule book they could not get insurance? I'm not saying OPA doesen't have insurance just no what POPRA went through last year

You are 100% Right.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:12 PM
Relentless01

To clear something up, I just spoke to Jerry Wood and he told me that he purchased the gps units for 80 a piece not 50. The GPS units are sent out after every few races to be recalabrated as well as maintained throughout the season. It is because of this that everyone payed the 150 fee for the GPS Units. If anyone else has a problem about the price of the units or the fee that was paid, Jerry said feel free to contact him and he will explain it to you.

Quick Reply: Racing with OPA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.