Notices

sportsman offshore racing

Old 03-09-2005, 06:50 AM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: sportsman offshore racing

The concept is complicated. This is boat racing.
How are you going to manage where the boats should be at the start? Won't work.
Ron P has mentioned what I have been talking about for as long as I can remember. Build boats for classes, not classes for boats.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:59 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too have thought of that idea. The thing is, that type of start works in drag racing... all the time. I have never seen that in dirt track racing, or any other oval type racing. I don't know how well that would work, but it would be much easier to cheat.
In drag racing, if your car ran a 13.9 you would post a 14 on your window. The during the race, if you were ahead of the other guy, you would tap the brakes to be sure you were ahead, but didn't break out. But with drag racing, you had a light system and you can catch the guy who took off a little too early. You can't do that in the water.

Cheating will happen in any type of race. Ron said it right. It would be better if people were building boats for the class rather than... bla bla bla. The irony there is that there's not enough money in it for people to build P class boats. Besides, that was the reason for the P class is to get people started and interrested in racing. Its not meant to be that serious, that's why they still have the other classes.

But... Innovative ides is what the sport needs. New ideas... new blood. I am dying to get out there!!!!
Old 03-09-2005, 05:50 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by BRUCE SEROFF
No need to worry now. I believe with the new organization, no one will be using GPS. They will use avg lap speeds, which will be dropped by 5 mph per class.

P-5 up to 65 mph
P-4 up to 75 mph
P-3 up to 85 mph
P-2 up to 95 mph
P-1 up to 110 mph
Bruce-

Which organization is this for APBA-SBI or OPA?

Bobby (LS JR.)
Old 03-09-2005, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I won a race by 1 second, lost a race by 6 second and another by 7 seconds, the rest, for the most part, were close battles until mechanical failure.I always ran as hard as I could. I don't think it can get much better than that, unless I won them all
Old 03-09-2005, 07:03 PM
Registered

First, no one should be building boats for p classes...it should be used as as place to start racing and a place to market used race boats that are not competitive in the class they were built for. I for one would like to see some of the owners of old race boats be able to sell them so they can move up.

Second, people need to look at the business tracking software that Nextel has to offer...with a simple cell phone we could track the racers anywhere on the race course. And a marketing area for Nextel...tied into their race marketing.

Third, if there is a class that has 5-7 boats you could still do a flying start for that group. just put the rest of the boats around the course so that at the end the field runs a little closer together for the fans.

Mike
Old 03-09-2005, 07:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by lucky strike
Bruce-

Which organization is this for APBA-SBI or OPA?

Bobby (LS JR.)
this is for SBI/APBA. OPA will follow the same structure
Old 03-09-2005, 07:40 PM
Registered

Capt Mike...

I disagree.

yes, P-class is a place to start racing, but it is also an affordable way for people to get into racing. Not everyone can afford to shell out hundreds of thousands even millions of dollars to buy a super series spec class raceboat.

If they can pick up an old raceboat or a high perf pleasure boat relatively cheap, they can and should set it up to fit into a specific class. You cant constantly change the rules just because one guy is too slow or too small for his class.

I think the average lap speed rule works as long as the times are kept accurately. It appears that most boats will be moving up one class and this will eliminate most of the breakouts and most boats, will be running to their fullest balls to the wall potential.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by BRUCE SEROFF
this is for SBI/APBA. OPA will follow the same structure
Thanks, what about size limitations?
Old 03-09-2005, 08:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by lucky strike
Thanks, what about size limitations?
28 foot max in P-5
Old 03-09-2005, 09:05 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Captnmike
Second, people need to look at the business tracking software that Nextel has to offer...with a simple cell phone we could track the racers anywhere on the race course. And a marketing area for Nextel...tied into their race marketing.
Mike,

Can you look into this a bit more? I've looked into every sort of automatic electronic scoring system known to man for both racing in circles and for a Miami to NY run. They problem seems to be delays, its not real time. Is the Nextel system used in NASCAR?

All the real time scoring systems need to have a wire laid into the track. And it needs to be close to the transducer that passes over. Overhead wires don't work and underwater doesn't work, both due to wave action.

If you have a solution, I'm all ears. The best I could find had about a one minute delay. I'd like to see a GPS based system build specifically for this task.

Quick Reply: sportsman offshore racing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.