GLSCS 2005 Press Release >

GLSCS 2005 Press Release

Notices

GLSCS 2005 Press Release

Old 01-11-2005, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: GLSCS 2005 Press Release

I absolutely support limitations on lenght, # of engines, and would also support prop pitch and RPM limitations, which is sort of done when speed is calculated. If you want to confuse a fan just park a 24' P5 boat next to a 37' P5 boat. The classes have to be narrowed down according to factors other than just speed.
Of prime concern is that the various organizations continue to have different rules. If there is one thing that we need it is one set of rules. Or at least very similiar rules. Threads like this come up far too often. When are the governing bodies going to listen. They claim they do but I doubt it. For instance OPA has a 28' lenght limitation for P5, GLSCS just published a 29' limit, APBA did away with their limit, and SBI has a 32' limit. Then there is the problem of determining the class speeds and the penalties for exceeding same. Unify the rules and the number of boats will grow.

Scoundroul,

With all due respect I thought you stated that you were only interested in racing Buffalo. Why the concern with GLSCS lenght limitations? By the way, I raced Buffalo the last time they raced there (2001). It's a great site. On the Sunday of the race the water was breaking over the seawall and the races were cancelled.

Last edited by raynman; 01-11-2005 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys,

I have just received an answer from APBA with regard to the P-5 class size limitation, and it was an oversight on their part. The rule will remain the same as last year. Meaning 28 feet and under single or twin.

QUOTE FROM MEMO

"Hey guys, I have spoken to Bob about this and this is an oversight on our part, the Performance rules should not have changed from what they were last year. We were researching some different ideas and decided to remain as we have been. The wording should have been changed back. I'll make the corrections soon."

"Pop"
Old 01-11-2005, 04:58 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bruce,

Just got the same info in a reply from Jim Poplin to an email I wrote on 1/9.

Cig3,

Now if GLSCS limits the P5 lenght to 28', three organizations would at least have the same lenght requirements. OPA, APBA, and GLSCS (?).

Scoundroul,

Even if you have to run P4 and your boat will get about 75 mph you'll still have a blast. Give it a shot for a season, meet the people and get an idea of everything that goes with racing.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:44 PM
Registered

I am curious, when it comes to P class racing is the issue boat size or number of engines?

Personally I have more of an issue with the number of engines as it does provide an advantage on re-entry. There is no way to get around it, while the top speed might be the same, the extra tourque provided by that second engine is a real advantage.

What I would hate to see in the P4 and P5 class is the need for a 32+ foot boat with twins to be competitive. I know all of these posts are in relation to P5, but a similar issue exists with P4 as well.

It is correct, in flat water, our little boat can run with and out corner a bigger boat with two engines running the same speed, but how often is that the case? The last time I checked this was offshore racing, not river racing.

When reading these rules, I do like the P4 Avg speed with a breakout slightly higher. When I read that I thought that was great for F1 boats that are not going to change the engines to 496.

Rick-
Old 01-11-2005, 06:15 PM
Registered

One other thing, I think there should be "promoters" discretion on the classification of boats.

A good example of this would be POPRA. When a boat shows up to race, the POPRA race organizers will take a good look at the boat, racer, etc when classifing the boat.

In 2003, Vern showed up with his 42' Apache with twin 14-71 blown motors, with P4-11. Now Vern was being honest as in testing that day the best he ran was 75 mph. So based on the rules, Vern was a P4. When Bob Teague looked at the sitution, he asked Vern to move up to P3, basing this on the fact that if the water turned snotty (which is can do at this race), none of the other P4 boats (my batboat, a 35 Fountain with twin 502's and a 25 Daytona with a 525 efi), would be in the game at all.

Vern (like a true competitor) agreed, although he stated that the best he had done all day was 75.

On race day the water did not come up, Vern took 2nd in P3, he would have been 4th in P4 that day. So in the end, he would not have won either class, but had the water turned bad, he probably would have easily won P3. I think Bob Teague did the right thing, it was not so much a statement about Vern, but the rest of us. Had he run P4 and the water turned snotty, we would had given it everything to beaten him, to the point of running over our heads. Knowing that boat would not win either class on a smooth water day, it was a smart move to make him a P3 boat in the event the water turned rough.

Rick
Old 01-11-2005, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

" I have proxy votes for many of the GLSCS teams. Hopefully the Board will take the time to hear the wishes of the club members." Mark Matthews

Mark, as you can see, as we had hoped, discussions have begun regarding some of the potential new rules that were discussed at the Pittsburgh meeting. Both Ed Smith, Vice Chairman of the GLSCS and myself have been asking you for the Proxy votes that you mentioned above. We are trying to finish up the minutes of the Pittsburgh meeting (35+ pages) and we would like to process your motion and proxy votes that you have. Could you please let us know when they will be available.

Andrew Bloom GLSCS Chairman
Old 01-11-2005, 07:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

raynman, I agree with you, keep it consistent. But I don't think I will be running P4. I don't think you understand. My boat ran 61 MPH last summer. I have dumped around $15K in the blown up motors this winter, and I will be begging to get 70 MPH out of it. Only a water test will tell, but if what I am reading about the "oversight" in APBA rules is true, and GLSCS decides to vote in the size limitation, then I will be on the bow of my boat, just outside to patrol boats, watching you guys run around in circles.

Would you run a 70 MPH boat in P4?

With all these restrictions, I wonder why they have Outlaw classes. If you want restrictions, race Factory class, or Nascar. Sounds to me we need a class (maybe call it PT) for the little guys doin' 70 MPH.

I just don't understand. I guess that's because I have never been out there yet. But, that's why they have the racers vote on it. Because they are the one's that have the experience to know better.

Yes, I want to run 1 race in Buffalo with APBA, but GLSCS run in Cleveland, and I would like that possible option too.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:23 PM
Registered

Might as well run a World War II PT boat in P5 then.It only runs 60.