Erick, OK desert races >

Erick, OK desert races

Notices

Erick, OK desert races

Old 02-15-2009, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Erick, OK desert races

Have any of you guys that ride ever considered doing this race before?

I competed for the first time in 2007. I finished 4th overall and still hold the record for finishing the course on a utility quad. (no thanks to can-ams HUGE 80mph top end)

This year Ill be entering the race in the beginner class on my yz250f. All I plan on doing is trying to FINISH the race, not WIN. Its a lot of fun and the terrain is incredible. Theres mile long 5th and 6th gear straights, silt, creeks/mud, cactus and mesquite trees that will SHRED your gear.

Its an OCCRA special event but also setup by another organization so its not an "occra-only" event like most of the others. Anybody that wants to can come out, sign the waiver and have fun...

its definately an endurance race. It took me the better part of 8 hours to finish last time I think, I cant really remember if it was that long or not. there were plenty of times that i was completely topped out with nothin left and theres not many tracks around that can say that!

Whos in!?

Mar 14-15

http://www.occra.com/raceschedule.html
http://www.occra.com/locations/erick.htm
Old 02-15-2009, 09:40 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

I have done several 24 hour desert races in cali... and the 1000 a couple times, thats my favorite chunk of wood.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I might be up for giving it a try. When is it? What kind of support do we need to have? Is it a highly skilled ride with lots of jumps, or is it a hardcore trail raid that anyone could if they can tough it out. Let me know some more info. I could be interested.

JohnnyWhip wants to go too!

Oh Man! It is the same weekend as the BIG XII tournament. I'll have to think about that!

Last edited by jayhawk261; 02-16-2009 at 12:29 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:24 PM
Registered

I think (THINK) that the course is set up in 25 mile intervals for a combo of 150 miles. The catch is that they let everyone race at the same time. Pro first, Novice, then beginner. Seperated by 6 minute starts. So you have 25 mile jaunts out into the unforgiving desert, then come back and repair tires, eat, drink hit it again. This is such a grueling track that EVERYONE takes long breaks. On my last lap, I thought I was tapped out, my hands were bleeding so bad I couldnt even touch the grips. So i gave in and laid down for about 15 minutes. After a bottle of gatorade and 4 peanut butter sandwiches, I jumped back on and finished one more lap (and finished 4th!). I saw people quit after their first lap and Ive seen people ride the whole thing, its entirely up to your energy level and the quality of your equipment and tires. Slime in the tires is an absolute MUST MUST MUST. You wont make it 4 miles without getting mesquite stickers on you.

There was only one big jump that I came across and I was so delirious when I hit it,I never found it again on any other laps. I do know I was at least 8 feet in the air because i hit it pinned in top gear. Bye bye skid plates.. Other than that, its a lot of silt, a few steep climbs (maybe 10-12 in elevation coming up from a creek), a lot of long dusty dirtroad type straightaways and one REALLY awesome leg that goes through a canyon that is probably 90' deep and just wide enough for a utility quad.

Anybody can do this. Theres even a youth class that runs a shorter version of it..

Once the last pro finishes the course, they call the race off. So if you're right behind the pros, you'll have done 150 miles. If you're slow and steady, you may have only knocked off 50 miles, just depends. Theres a lot of bike breakdowns and they have people on utility quads on the course every few miles and they have their own sections the patrol for injured or broken down riders. The rules state that you are NOT allowed to pass a fallen rider without offering assistance or you will be asked to leave. I helped at least 5 bikes off the course from broken chains, skid plates and flats..

My buddy, Nate, from OSO is also riding with me. He was my pit manager last year and he finished 6th (i believe) in the state this year in his class so he's gonna show me the ropes on how to pull this off on a dirtbike. Ill be taking the Camper (that everyone here is oh so fond of) and throwing a big campfire party on saturday night. Its a lot of fun..

Oh, and the bike is now a YZ262
Old 02-16-2009, 01:43 PM
Registered

about 1/4 mile from the finish in the silt woops, I broke my battery tray and snapped the cables off and sent the battery tumbling behind me. Since it was a EFI bike, it was dead in the sand! I pulled out my pocket knife and rerouted the battery cables to the seat and used the duct tape from my hands to tape the leads back to the leaking battery.. You can just barely see the battery in my lap at the finish line! A leaking battery on your crotch is about the most motivating thing I can think of!
Old 02-17-2009, 11:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by waterboy222
I think (THINK) that the course is set up in 25 mile intervals for a combo of 150 miles. The catch is that they let everyone race at the same time. Pro first, Novice, then beginner. Seperated by 6 minute starts. So you have 25 mile jaunts out into the unforgiving desert, then come back and repair tires, eat, drink hit it again. This is such a grueling track that EVERYONE takes long breaks. On my last lap, I thought I was tapped out, my hands were bleeding so bad I couldnt even touch the grips. So i gave in and laid down for about 15 minutes. After a bottle of gatorade and 4 peanut butter sandwiches, I jumped back on and finished one more lap (and finished 4th!). I saw people quit after their first lap and Ive seen people ride the whole thing, its entirely up to your energy level and the quality of your equipment and tires. Slime in the tires is an absolute MUST MUST MUST. You wont make it 4 miles without getting mesquite stickers on you.

There was only one big jump that I came across and I was so delirious when I hit it,I never found it again on any other laps. I do know I was at least 8 feet in the air because i hit it pinned in top gear. Bye bye skid plates.. Other than that, its a lot of silt, a few steep climbs (maybe 10-12 in elevation coming up from a creek), a lot of long dusty dirtroad type straightaways and one REALLY awesome leg that goes through a canyon that is probably 90' deep and just wide enough for a utility quad.

Anybody can do this. Theres even a youth class that runs a shorter version of it..

Once the last pro finishes the course, they call the race off. So if you're right behind the pros, you'll have done 150 miles. If you're slow and steady, you may have only knocked off 50 miles, just depends. Theres a lot of bike breakdowns and they have people on utility quads on the course every few miles and they have their own sections the patrol for injured or broken down riders. The rules state that you are NOT allowed to pass a fallen rider without offering assistance or you will be asked to leave. I helped at least 5 bikes off the course from broken chains, skid plates and flats..

My buddy, Nate, from OSO is also riding with me. He was my pit manager last year and he finished 6th (i believe) in the state this year in his class so he's gonna show me the ropes on how to pull this off on a dirtbike. Ill be taking the Camper (that everyone here is oh so fond of) and throwing a big campfire party on saturday night. Its a lot of fun..

Oh, and the bike is now a YZ262
I finished 3rd in 2006, the bike race in 2007 was canceled due to heavy rains, and they didn't have the race in 2008. I have been waiting for this race for a long time.

There will be the 1.5 hour OCCRA race in march (quads on Sat and bikes on Sun) and a 200 mile race May 15th and 16th held by a venue out of Texas. This race will have bikes, a sportsman class, pro trucks, and buggies.

If you are a newbe, I would recommend the OCCRA race. They have a dedicated beginner class.

The Erick is my favorite race, I would encourage everyone that has a bike to give it a try.

-Nate
Old 02-18-2009, 03:32 PM
Registered

so where do you tie the boats up at to watch!

Old 02-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Registered

If you are racing, you don't need worry about your boat.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Cale,

I've run a 2 hour scramble with eyezlee before. Most fun I've ever had on a quad. Been racing MX on and off for a few years and it doesn't compare. Real men race XC.

I honestly think I'd like to try that sometime. I know how I felt after a 2 hour race, can't imagine how I would feel after an 8 hour race.

Buck
Old 02-22-2009, 11:31 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

longest stint I have pulled off was 13 hours straight in the 89 1000..that one hurt.

Quick Reply: Erick, OK desert races

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.