Notices

Snow Damage

Old 02-02-2011, 01:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just heard on the news that Shangri La had about 2/3 of their docks collapse or sink. Video from channel 6 was disturbing and the damage looks very widespread. Especially to some older private docks.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Link to video
http://www.newson6.com/Global/category.asp?C=121535
Old 02-02-2011, 01:47 PM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts

That sucks! My boat was totalled at LOTO in 06 from the dock coming down. The kick in the ass is that the fingers on the replacement dock are going under. Why in the world can't dock builders design these things to handle the elements? I do not get it! The next thing will be that insurance companies will want additional riders for boats kept on lifts.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

More pics I just got. Some are repeats but they are named by the marina. Looks like Shangri La, Harbors View, Dripping Springs, Ugly's, The Landings, East Bay on Monkey Island, Hammerhead and the Vintage all got hit.
Attached Thumbnails Snow Damage-dripping-springs-1.jpg   Snow Damage-dripping-springs-2.jpg   Snow Damage-dripping-springs-3.jpg  

Snow Damage-dripping-springs-4.jpg   Snow Damage-dripping-springs-6.jpg  
Old 02-02-2011, 02:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

More
Attached Thumbnails Snow Damage-east-bay-monkey-island.jpg   Snow Damage-k-dock-hammerhead.jpg   Snow Damage-k-dock-hammerhead%5B1%5D.jpg  

Snow Damage-landings-1.jpg   Snow Damage-ugley-johns-e-dock.jpg  
Old 02-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

These are all Harbors View
Attached Thumbnails Snow Damage-harbors-view-marina-1.jpg   Snow Damage-harbors-view-marina-2.jpg   Snow Damage-harbors-view-marina-3.jpg  

Snow Damage-harbors-view-marina-4.jpg   Snow Damage-harbors-view-marina-5.jpg  
Old 02-02-2011, 02:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Last ones from Harbors View.
Attached Thumbnails Snow Damage-harbors-view-marina-6.jpg   Snow Damage-harbors-view-marina-7.jpg   Snow Damage-harbors-view-marina-8.jpg  

Old 02-02-2011, 02:19 PM
Registered

Those pics make me sick. I brought this up in the Midwest thread, but considering how much we love our boats..try to protect them..Why are we not using radiant heat on the docks? I would think this would be a huge thing for resorts to do or dock rental places. I know this is kind of a freak of nature type storm but wouldnt we rather be safe then sorry? I am thinking of the same kinds of heat we use for driveways..or house rooftops
http://www.warmzone.com/roof-ice-dam.asp

http://www.warmzone.com/gx-radiant-heating.asp
Old 02-02-2011, 02:28 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bobonthis
Those pics make me sick. I brought this up in the Midwest thread, but considering how much we love our boats..try to protect them..Why are we not using radiant heat on the docks? I would think this would be a huge thing for resorts to do or dock rental places. I know this is kind of a freak of nature type storm but wouldnt we rather be safe then sorry? I am thinking of the same kinds of heat we use for driveways..or house rooftops
http://www.warmzone.com/roof-ice-dam.asp

http://www.warmzone.com/gx-radiant-heating.asp
I was thinking the same thing. I'd take some chicken wire a car battery and some jumper cables and light the roof up.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Is this that rare? I don't get why so many people leave there boats on lifts and in the water all winter? Why not just put it in the water if the day happens to be beautiful? I don't mean to be disrespectful I just don't understand leaving my boat anywhere with the chance that this could happen. Even in the fall and spring the boat sits next to the house and we just throw it in the water for the day if it is that nice out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.