Notices

Snow Damage

Old 02-02-2011, 02:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my experience at Lake of the Ozarks. 1. most boats dont come with trailers. 2. A lot are to big to be towing in and out. 3. Most houses were vacation homes, so convience is a factor. 4. It is pretty rare but seeming to get more common. 5. I am pretty sure the guys with the expensive high performace boats are not leaving thier boats on lifts year around. Thats what I experienced at least and I am sure its the same at Grand Lake.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Perlmudder
Is this that rare? I don't get why so many people leave there boats on lifts and in the water all winter? Why not just put it in the water if the day happens to be beautiful? I don't mean to be disrespectful I just don't understand leaving my boat anywhere with the chance that this could happen. Even in the fall and spring the boat sits next to the house and we just throw it in the water for the day if it is that nice out.
This is a 1000 year storm this far south. Never been an issue before on Grand that I have ever heard of. I don't see us throwing a 47' Carver on a trailer and throwing it in the driveway either. I don't even have room to store my 35 Cig in town anywhere and not worth it to pay for storage when this happens like never. Plus, most don't have trailers or trucks to pull them anyway. I know I don't.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:08 PM
Registered

As Sea-Dated noted this is a very rare storm for this part of the country. I have lived in the same house for 46 years and this is the deepest snow I have ever shoveled. At some point I suspect that the insurance companies will require the docks to be built to some type of a standard, but I would doubt it would require a 20" snow load in this area.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:22 PM
Registered

And on the eighth day... God made trailers.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:07 PM
Mac
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

IBC code for metal buildings in Oklahoma is 20#psf snow load, none of these docks have been built to that. The closest would prpbably be the Mecco docks. Most have been built with the design done on a piece of scrap paper, and that works a lot of the time, not with 20" snows.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

If it was my rig under that make shift shelter I would hire the kid next door to jump up there and shovel the snow off before it got that heavy.

global warming my a$$
Old 02-02-2011, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 126 Posts

Gees I shouldnt be whining, All I have had to do is listen the the better half give orders about cleaning out the driveway all day... My back hurts, but better then the back pocket of all the others pictured...
Old 02-02-2011, 06:13 PM
Registered

Goto facebook do a search for grand lake blizzard 2011 all the pics and discussion...... hope everyone is ok, at least no loss of life... toys can be replaced!!!!
Old 02-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Grand Lake News Online is reporting damage at Arrow Head. Can anyone verify?

Story here:
http://grandlakenewsonline.com/the-b...k-p500-136.htm
Old 02-02-2011, 07:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If I went out and saw my boat totaled like that, I'd have a couple of beers and smile ear to ear.

I would imagine the insurances in your area are going to change.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.