Man those HURT to look at.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:53 PM
LV
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinlan
Man those HURT to look at.
Scott if your rolling up tomorrow, check on my place if you dont mind!
Old 02-02-2011, 10:49 PM
Registered

Port Duncan was hit hard too! Sadly the new owner just took over and now she has a collapsed mess on her plate! As Grand Lakers we will all pull together and help one another survive this so that we can have a great 2011 SUMMER boating season! No one being hurt is important, insurance companies won't like us but when you are a true boater it's a passion and you will survive!!! Prayers to everyone like those of us at Port Duncan SMILE and pull the teams together and let's get this LAKE back to HAPPY LAND!!!!
Old 02-03-2011, 06:13 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sea-Dated
This is a 1000 year storm this far south. Never been an issue before on Grand that I have ever heard of. I don't see us throwing a 47' Carver on a trailer and throwing it in the driveway either. I don't even have room to store my 35 Cig in town anywhere and not worth it to pay for storage when this happens like never. Plus, most don't have trailers or trucks to pull them anyway. I know I don't.
This has happend more than once in the past few years I believe.
No need to put a 47' Carver in the drive way. Put the boat in a building near by for a couple of months

In Michigan you do not see but one or two boats on lifts all winter and that is just stupid to do here even if you bubble and broom
Old 02-03-2011, 07:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by boatme
This has happend more than once in the past few years I believe.
Not on Grand Lake. I know people who have been on the lake over 40 years and this has NEVER happened before. No records of it ever happening either.

I know it happened a couple years ago at LOTO but that is several hours north of where we are and like I said,

This has NEVER happened here before.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:49 AM
Registered

Not on Grand Lake. I know people who have been on the lake over 40 years and this has NEVER happened before. No records of it ever happening either.

I know it happened a couple years ago at LOTO but that is several hours north of where we are and like I said,

Wow crazy I thought you had it happen before (I stand corrected) crazy weather that is for sure we cot about 1 1/2 feet of snow yesterday
Old 02-03-2011, 08:28 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Another thing about our part of the country, most of the marinas on our lake are not even capable of pulling the big cruisers and motor yachts. I think there are only 2 or 3 travel lifts on the entire lake and most of those places do not have storage room to put the boats even if they did pull them.

Just is just one of those things that we were not prepared for because it has never happened.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:38 AM
Registered

a few pics i took yesterday
Attached Thumbnails Snow Damage-.jpg   Snow Damage-c.jpg   Snow Damage-d.jpg  

Snow Damage-10-heated-driveway.jpg  
Old 02-03-2011, 09:40 AM
Registered

It's true the dock's have never gone under like this, but it may be stretching it to say we haven't had big snows. We used to ride snowmobiles all over the place down there in the winter when I was a kid, meaning we got 6-8 inches routinely. I wonder if this new encapsulated foam doesn't float as well as old realible? In any case I hope my Cig is still floating.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:16 AM
Mac
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by NickOTeen
It's true the dock's have never gone under like this, but it may be stretching it to say we haven't had big snows. We used to ride snowmobiles all over the place down there in the winter when I was a kid, meaning we got 6-8 inches routinely. I wonder if this new encapsulated foam doesn't float as well as old realible? In any case I hope my Cig is still floating.
I think if anything the encapsulated foam is a plus. What I have seen most of what has gone down are the older docks without this. The non encapsulated foam soaks up a lot of water over a period of time, therefore losing a lot of bounacy, ever pick up a piece that been under a dock for 8-10 years? Most are structual issues with the columns and diagonal bracing. Its hard to hold these columns at the height they are without some sort of diagonal bracing anchored to some sort of dead head or foundation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.