Notices

1/3 cove rule

Old 03-04-2011, 03:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 1/3 cove rule

Hey guys, I'm looking for a little insight into this 1/3 of the cove rule for boat docks. I'm in the process of trying to extend our boat slip to accommodate two 28 foot boats. The slip is 21' deep and needs 9 feet at the end of each finger. We filed the paper work with GRDA and the girl I spoke with said no because we were essentially 9' over the 1/3 rule. Then I asked about the variance that could filed for directional bearing and she acted like she didn't know what I was talking about. I have a friend that filed for this about a year and a half ago and it was approved with no problem, what gives. Distance across cove was 300' and our dock is out 100'. Has anyone dealt with before?
Old 03-04-2011, 04:50 PM
Registered

I have seen an article in the Chronicle about a company that will submit dock permits for you. I think they are in the Ketchum area. I would think they could help you with this situation. I would also ask at what lake evelvation the 1/3 rule is based on. If you have a gentle slope it could make a big difference. I would also ask how the distance was measured because it might not be very accurate. To check the distances you might borrow a sight distance meter from a golfer and make some measurements yourself to see where you really stand.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:12 PM
LV
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by E Dock DD
I have seen an article in the Chronicle about a company that will submit dock permits for you. I think they are in the Ketchum area. I would think they could help you with this situation. I would also ask at what lake evelvation the 1/3 rule is based on. If you have a gentle slope it could make a big difference. I would also ask how the distance was measured because it might not be very accurate. To check the distances you might borrow a sight distance meter from a golfer and make some measurements yourself to see where you really stand.
I used her when i built my new dock!, cant remember her name, she is married to the guy that owns the dock roller company in ketchum! shes the one that can get it done for sure, and for a few hunderd bucks, its worth not having to hastle with it, she takes care of everything !
Old 03-04-2011, 06:23 PM
Registered

E DOCK DD, you are absolutely right about the distance. We had it surveyed and I think he is off considerably. Surveyor said 300 feet from 750' to 750' grda take line but there was no survey stake on the opposite shoreline. When we asked if he surveyed for the 750' mark on the opposite side of the cove he said no he didn't need to. My dad owns an excavation company so we are taking his transit up tomarrow to check it ourselves. LV I know who you are talking about. She is meeting us at our place tomorrow. We have been in contact with here from the beginning getting advice. Though we haven't even paid for her services, she contacted grda on our behalf today and they told her not just no but hell no because basically he didn't want to.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:43 PM
Registered

Default Dock permit service

Her name is Helen Hunt with grand lake used docks. Phone # is (918) 232-5306. Helen is worth every dime she charges.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by springtc
Her name is Helen Hunt with grand lake used docks. Phone # is (918) 232-5306. Helen is worth every dime she charges.
Thanks springtc
Old 03-06-2011, 02:09 AM
Registered

Default 1/3 rule variance

I don't think that Helen Howard is a good resource to handle an application for a variance on the 1/3 rule. I am a broker in Tulsa and am repping my father-in-law on a lot purchase in Patricia Island. We too are up against the same issue right now. Helen took care of the original application for the dock permit for the lot and she did a good job but we now want to put a larger dock in and it extends out slightly more than 1/3 the distance of the cove form 750' to 750'. Anyway, after getting ther run around form the GRDA and the GRDA field officer who told us that there is no way in hell that he would approve our application we had basically given up as even Helen said there was no vehicle that would allow one to obtain a variance on the 1/3 rule. Well low and behold we saw a legal notice in the Chronicle a couple of weeks ago for a guy making application for a variance to exceed the 1/3 rule so I am beginning to think that the GRDA just does not want anyone to know that you can infact get a variance. The GRDA field officer that we met with even went so far as to tell us that there was no way that we could get any type of relief from the 1/3 rule and that the reason there is no variance is because it would "open the flood gates" for property owners to exceed the 1/3 rule. While I still dont have all of the answers on the exact process to obtain the variance I do know that it entails posting notice in a legal publication and also notifying property owners within a certain distance of the subject property in order to allow them to voice objection. I will post an update as I get more info.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:18 PM
Registered

Kmasso, As I'm sure you already know the 1/ 3 rule is on page 2 of the permit application paperwork. It basically states that if the dock has less than 8 feet of water under the shore side at 742 and that if it extends past 1/3 of the cove but poses no hazard to the public it can be approved. I know for a fact that people have done it in the past so what gives. Even hellen said that she has dealt with this in the recent past. We only want to go 9' over in a 300' span. We only have 4' of water under the dock at 741'. Kmasso I think we should talk. Tim 918 809 2723. If you guys knows someone who has dealt with this personally or has gotten approval for a varience please have them call me.
Thanks Tim