Notices

North channel Help?

Old 07-20-2008, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question North channel Help?

We are going on Vaction in a couple weeks. We have in the past gone to Mackinaw Island from Lake Charlevoix. From there we go up to Hessel and Cedarville. The the les Cheneaux Islands.
This Year we are thinking about trailering to the straights and then go farther north up past Detour and through the North Channel Possibly to Lake Superior.

Question is What do I need to do to stay/be legal? Do I just stay on the US side of the channel? are there any permits or Check ins?

Any advice greatly appreciated?

We'll be in that area around Aug 4-8.

Bob, We thought alot the CanAm trip, Just not this year for us. Also Congrats on the Cancun Trip.

Last edited by Shawn D; 07-22-2008 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:25 PM
Registered

Went to the North Channel Two summers ago. Checking in to Canada was no problem, but checking back in to the US was a pain in the ass. Everyone we met along the way said don't bother. Go to the Benjamin Islands... Very Cool, and Gore Bay was nice as well. Kilarney sucked. Good Luck
Old 07-22-2008, 01:51 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Shawn. Hopefully this will be some help. I would make a call to see whether you can check in by telephone or if you need to physically show up at a reporting station. I think a phone call will do as that was good enuff for us returning from Ohio by boat this past weekend. On returning to the US if your boat is over 30 ft. you will need a User Fee Decal that is only $27.00. You can make the application on line and even tho it takes awhile to get, once the application is in your still OK.
Good luck,
Bob

ENTERING CANADA:
Entering Canada by boat is much easier than vise versa: you only have to report to one authority - the Canada Border Services Agency - and the CANPASS telephone reporting system makes it easy. It's easier still if you have signed up for the CANPASS program.

If everyone on board is a member of CANPASS:

You can report in by calling 1-888-CAN-PASS ( 1-888-226-7277) at any time up to 4 hrs before arriving in Canada. And you do not have to call from a designated reporting station - which is why participation in the CANPASS program is an advantage.
Applications for CANPASS membership are available at: www.cbsa.gc.ca ( follow the link to CANPASS, and then to CANPASS Private Boats) or by calling 800-842-7647.
When you call to report in, the officer will ask you, among other things, for the vessel's registration number and the full name, date of birth and citizenship of everyone on board, so have these handy when you call. As proof that you have checked in, the officer will give you a report number; record it in your log.

If you or anyone onboard is not covered by CANPASS:

You are required to report your arrival in Canada from a designated marine telephone reporting site. Those harbors whose phone index in Ports Cruising Guide ( on the opening page of each harbour section ) includes the CANPASS phone number are designated reporting sites. On arrival, call 1-888-CANPASS to check in. ( you will be asked for the same info as above.)
If the harbour's phone index in Ports Cruising Guide does not include the CANPASS number, it means you cannot check into Canada there unless everyone onboard is a member of the CANPASS program.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:55 PM
Registered

We are doing the same trip this week from Munising to Cheboygan. We have always used the dock entry phones with no problem. It is fairly self exlanatory. This year we are going thru the locks. That will be a new experience. We will see how that is. My luck is to get crushed by a freighter.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by michigan troll
We are doing the same trip this week from Munising to Cheboygan. We have always used the dock entry phones with no problem. It is fairly self exlanatory. This year we are going thru the locks. That will be a new experience. We will see how that is. My luck is to get crushed by a freighter.
there are no more phones, i believe the soo, drummond and rodgers city are the only check in places. if you are just going up the st. mary's should not be a problem. hilton beach on st joes is a nice stop, nice marina there. whiskey rock is just around the corner from there. fun little cove that gives you a little feel of what the north chanel is like. a couple of rocks you can jump off of as well. charts and gps chip and you will have a blast! easy to check into canada, little more difficult coming back but dont be afraid of it. you need to hit the canada side up there.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:23 PM
Registered

We had A Great time.
We left Charlevoix Pine River Channel at 3 pm Saturday, we were tying up to the dock in Detour by 6:30. Had 1' or less. Ran 3600 R's at 50-55. Detour was great, they had a Firemen's Spegetti dinner and a live band til 11 at the marina.

Second day we stopped over to Drumond Island to talk to customs before we left. I didn't have all the required Doc's to prove citizenship. They were cool and said go for it. we spent the night in Harbor Island. Really cool Place. There were 4-5 Sail boats spending the night too.

Third day we crossed into Canada's North Channel (Way West End) going around St Joseph Island. We stayed the night in Hilton Beach Marina. There's the place to be. Awsome - relaxing. The locals were really nice people. One couple said the secret was getting out & asked us not to tell anyone. so keep it quiet. lol
Easy deal to check in, called on the phone to get a port ID Number from Canadian Customs.

Forth day, we continued around the top side of St Joseph Island to Whiskey Rock. We hung out there for 4-5 hours swimming and watching the locals jumping off the rock. took me a while to courage up a couple jumps. had to do it.
After the rock we had to make it back to drumond to check back in the states, so we blasted down the west side of the island. Run head long a couple times towards 750' freighters. Now That an be intimidating. Size Does matter..

Funny - we came hauling Ass across the Border line around a corner, that joined the St Mary's River, about 60-65 mph, and there's a US Coast Guard Cutter. I am sure we were is their sights and suspicions. Gofast crossing Border in a hurry I slowed down watched em carefully but there was no 'come here signs' so we motored on.

Made it to Drumond by 7pm to check back in to the states. Blasted past Detour Again back to Lake Huron. Only to find 4'ers. we went through em long enough to sneak in into Goverment Bay entering the les Cheneaux Islands from the east side. Spent the night at Hessel. been there before, Nice Place. It was Wednesday before the antique wooden boat show. There were quite few in town already. Nice

Fifth day we headed to Mackinaw island. Bought Fudge, did the fort And a carriage ride with the kids.

Sixth day headed home to Charlevoix in 4-6 footer, Should a Stayed on the Island for another day. Rough ride.

Great Time. My GPS Tracked 380 miles. less than two tanks a fuel, top speed of 73.2.
Six days in a 34' PowerQuest with 3 kids. I better get a Super Dad Award. They are So Spoiled.

Last edited by Shawn D; 08-25-2008 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:27 PM
Registered

1st pic Just Pasted the Big Mac. Stopped for a little rest.
2nd Detour Habor Drumond across the water
3rd our 34' Powerquest at at Detour
Attached Thumbnails North channel Help?-dscf1563.jpg   North channel Help?-dscf1565.jpg   North channel Help?-dscf1574.jpg  

Old 08-22-2008, 11:30 PM
Registered

1st - kids in the Cabin
2nd - Entering Harbor Island
3rd - Inside harbor island Looking Out. The land on the right and left is the same island as it circled around us.
Attached Thumbnails North channel Help?-dscf1578.jpg   North channel Help?-dscf1588.jpg   North channel Help?-dscf1589.jpg  

Old 08-22-2008, 11:34 PM
Registered

1st - Family Pic Missing me
2nd - Tristan catching some Harbor Island Perch
3rd - Coming into Hilton Beach. the white restraunt has a nice deck overlooking the marina.
Attached Thumbnails North channel Help?-dscf1604.jpg   North channel Help?-dscf1607.jpg   North channel Help?-dscf1613.jpg  

Old 08-22-2008, 11:38 PM
Registered

1st - Leaving Hilton Beach heading North around the top
2nd - Pass a light house as you enter the shallow Island Area on the north side of St Joseph
3rd - Very typical View of the terrain
Attached Thumbnails North channel Help?-dscf1614.jpg   North channel Help?-dscf1624.jpg   North channel Help?-dscf1628.jpg  

Quick Reply: North channel Help?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.