Sea Doo's? or buy Ski Boat?

Notices

Sea Doo's? or buy Ski Boat?

Old 12-06-2009, 04:28 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sea Doo's? or buy Ski Boat?

Hey guys!

I am kicking around the idea of getting Sea Doo's over the winter if I can find a decent deal on a pair, and just looking for Input.

I am looking at a pair, since I assume "one" wouldn't be much fun [learned that from my snowmobiling days] I like the Sea Doo RXT/GTX's or maybe a Yamaha, some model that are 3 seaters regardless, I prefer the idea of 4 strokes, since the 2 stroke ones drive me INSANE [spoiled kid on the next bay over has one, runs it CONSTANTLY around the bay and drives me nuts! LOL]

I have a 24ft Baja now, and a small 15 ft Tempest with a 55hp outboard, and basically, the Baja is just too big [expensive] to use for skiiing/tubing all weekend, and the "little" boat at 55HP just doesn't have the "umph" to pull a skier or tube [especially with my fat a$$ in it!] So, I had considered selling the small boat, or trading it on a little bigger ski boat, but, I like having the small boat just in case you have friends and/or friends kids up and they want to go fishing or just take a bit of a tour, the Tempest is rock solid reliable, but, its about 30 years old and has dock rash, and some scrapes, so, basically if someone bumps the dock with it, or drags some stinky old fish into it I am not real upset, but, not sure if I bought a "decent" ski boat if I would feel the same way? Plus, If I get anything much bigger than 19feet or so, I might as well just use the Baja, since the difference in price for fuel won't be that different. So, I am thinking a pair of Sea Doo's wouldn't be THAT bad on fuel [if driven "sanely"] and would be much easier to manevuer around the docks, zip over to neighbours cottages, or even if you just wanted to run out into the river a bit to go for a quick swim without the hassles of launching, untying, docking and all the other stuff that comes with a "full size" boat, and if the wifey wanted to just take a slow tour around the river, or take kids for a bit of a cruise she wouldn't have to deal with trying to dock/launch a 24ft boat, with 2 kids running around.

Anyone here thought the same thing? I have talked to people about them and had them tell me everything from "they are amazing" to "they are fun for about 2 hours, then your bored and will sell them" So, would kinda like input from guys like yourselves, who, like me already have a boat, As opposed to guys who are actual "PWC ers"

All Input welcomed, and thanks in advance!

Michael
Old 12-06-2009, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have had both, i got tired of the jetskis pretty quick, they are fun for a little while though. imho they dont pull skis, tubes, kneeboards or anything else very well, especially if you have a bigger person on the end of the rope. they just dont have enough mass or power to hold a steady speed, everytime you cut the *ss end swings around and you just about get pulled off plane. not to mention the trouble of holding the throttle at the right place, your thumb gets tired fast, plus with kids the speed you want to run isnt quite on plane so its tough. not hating on them, they are fun to go out and spin around, jump waves etc for an hour or so. another thing is if someone wants a pull, you have to get wet too, and if your not in the mood that sucks. i had a speedster jet boat for a while, much better to ski, etc behind, also fun to play with, but is too small to use as a "real boat". not bashing it either, it was fun, but i would rather have a nice 16-18' boat that you can use for any purpose. imho anything specialized thats what you have to love doing and not care that much about anything else. some of the new ski/board boats are really awesome but the price tags are nuts, unless you are a die hard skiier or boarder
also pwcs do use quite a bit of fuel for what they do, just like a snowmoblile,
Old 12-06-2009, 09:50 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 35 Likes on 8 Posts

Michael,
I work at a ski boat dealership and have some used ski boats if your interested. And i also have a pair of seadoo rxts that i am selling on a trailer. They are the 2006 models. If you want some pics or if i can be of any help let me know.
Bobby
[email protected]
Old 12-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

n20 I have a 1999 Four Winns Horizon in excellent condition I am trying to sell. The boat is extremely economical with a 5 liter v-8 and pulls tubes and wake boards extremely well. Email me at [email protected] if you are interested.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:09 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 591 Likes on 271 Posts

See Doos and nothing but a Pain in the Azz.
I hav been thru 3 different ones in the last 5 yrs nothing but problems unless you USE them regularly.
Just my opinion buy the SKI boat
Old 12-06-2009, 08:02 PM
Registered

I have a 19' correct craft as well as my offshore. Had both and I like having the ski boat better. Cant go wring with ski boat and if don't like they are pretty easy to sell. Just my experience.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:06 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just get a pair of yamaha FX Cruiser SHO's. You will be in the dealer alot with the Doo's.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:32 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I've got 2 Sea Doos, a Ski Nautique, and the DCB. If I had to sell all but one, I'd keep the Nautique. The Sea Doos get old real quick even to my kids. You could pick up a good ski boat for whatever you want to spend. People generally take good care of the boats and they are simple and cheap to maintain and insure. They are easy on fuel even though they have high hp. Stick with Nautique, MasterCraft, or Malibu. Nautiques are tanks that are problem free.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did jetski freeride for alotta years(stand up big cc 2 strokes) .I quit last season after my second bad knee injury. I miss it dearly. Most guys are right riding a 3 seater around that goes fast gets old quick. Get your kid and yourself a nice newer stock yamaha superjet, Its a constant challenge and your always improving. Once you start to get it you'll be hooked I promise. Most people quit early because of the challenge just more motavtion to push yourself. Great workout too! Iv done alot of things from drag racing to this boat gig and i can tell you rolling a 290lb ski over your head off a 6ft wave is way more rad then just pushing the sticks forward on a boat and holding on. Ill be back to it in a few years im sure, i just really need a few years to heal

check out
www.x-h20.com freeriding and freestyle

Last edited by paul235; 12-08-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:12 AM
Registered

Thanks Paul!

Although, I am pretty sure the LAST thing anyone wants to see [ESPECIALLY me!] is me sailing through the air with a Jet Ski 6 feet over my head! I will probably do it, just NOT on purpose! LOL!

I am still mulling it over, have had people on both sides of the fence with good and bad to say, so, I am gonna keep my eyes open and see whats out there, not looking to spend crazy amounts of money on either one, since, face it, they are gonna "sit" more than they are used.

Keep the Input coming! I appreciate all the replies!

Michael

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.