5th Annual Lake St.Clair Run 2010 >

5th Annual Lake St.Clair Run 2010

Notices

5th Annual Lake St.Clair Run 2010

Old 01-15-2010, 12:10 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AB From Windsor
I have never heard that in Canada, it is considered a felony to have a flare gun on your boat. A hand gun is a felony in Canada, on your boat. I have always had a flare gun on my boat and have been stopped and inspected.
Was stopped twice last summer on St.Clair River by US Coast Guard and Border Patrol and both said exact same thing when I showed them my flares and there was a flare gun. It is considered a weapon by Canadian Water Patrol as it holds a shell and is technically a handgun. They told me being the River/Lake is the border it would be a wise idea to remove it from my boat before I'm stopped by Canadian Water Patrol...Just FYI
Old 01-15-2010, 12:19 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are partially correct about the open booze in Canada. No drinking alcoholic beverages by anyone when the boat is moving. No open booze when anchored, unless you are in a designated anchorage or marina for the night. Your boat must have living quarters, such as stove, fridge, sleeping quarters and head. If I have a drink, it is usually at a Bar and Grill on the water.
If I have a drink... It's generally on Gull Island or in Muskamoot Bay!

Old 01-15-2010, 04:26 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Irishtornado
Was stopped twice last summer on St.Clair River by US Coast Guard and Border Patrol and both said exact same thing when I showed them my flares and there was a flare gun. It is considered a weapon by Canadian Water Patrol as it holds a shell and is technically a handgun. They told me being the River/Lake is the border it would be a wise idea to remove it from my boat before I'm stopped by Canadian Water Patrol...Just FYI
and what happens when you get stopped by the us side and you dont have your flare gun kind of a double edge sword there damned if you do and damned if you dont
Old 01-15-2010, 07:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ebay Ed
and what happens when you get stopped by the us side and you dont have your flare gun kind of a double edge sword there damned if you do and damned if you dont
You don't specifically have to have a flare gun in Federal waters. You have to have a visual signal, so you could just have hand flares, or a smoke stick for pyrotechnic VDS's. Or you can have a flashlight or orange flag for non-pyrotechnic VSD's.

Also, make sure that if you use pyrotechnic VDS's, that everything is UP TO DATE, this ticket is just as bad as not having them on board!

This is LAW for all boats, regardless of size boating on federally controlled waters. (Great Lakes)

If you need any info on audible distress signals, I can answer that too. Those change for length of boat, so its a little more detailed.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-15-2010, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do most of the Canadians cross by water or trailer for the run? I really don't care if we make a stop in Canada just no one has any fun runs over here. What are the rules for beers on the boat over there anyways-the Canadians are getting anal about having any fun boating!
Old 01-15-2010, 09:42 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I was always told that if you are not driving you can drink some one correct me if i am wrong Ed
Old 01-15-2010, 09:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by fast times
Do most of the Canadians cross by water or trailer for the run? I really don't care if we make a stop in Canada just no one has any fun runs over here. What are the rules for beers on the boat over there anyways-the Canadians are getting anal about having any fun boating!
Everyone I know who in Windsor who enters a Fun Run on the U.S. side, crosses by boat.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ebay Ed
I was always told that if you are not driving you can drink some one correct me if i am wrong Ed

Nope... No open booze, by anyone, even if the boat is anchored. Canada strictly forbids public alcohol consumption (drinking in public). You have to be in a bar or designated area (marina, etc.) to consume booze...

We found that out the hard way at Seaway Cove...
Old 01-15-2010, 09:53 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Everyone I know who in Windsor who enters a Fun Run on the U.S. side, crosses by boat.
I should proof read be for I hit submit.

Everyone I know who lives in Windsor and who enter a U.S, Fun Run crosses by boat.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:58 AM
Registered

Canadian rules for Drinking i am not sure, in the US. Open alcohol and beer whatever IS allowed, as long as the driver is not drinking. you can drink while anchored or moving. Reasonable alcohol though. If there was the driver and 1 other person and you had 2 cases, you might get hassled, but if you have a boat full of people, alcohol and you have all your safety stuff, you wont be hassled, you will be good to go.

Drunk driving on the water is the same as land in Michigan, penalties are exactly the same. 0.08% BAC is legal limit, I dont recommend getting close to that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.