I'm American and want nothing to do with it
15.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Canadian Pleasure Craft Operator Card

Old 08-10-2010, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Canadian Pleasure Craft Operator Card

I had a guy (and his whole crew) flip me the bird on Lake Muskoka recently for not changing speed/course. This took place in open water in the middle of the afternoon and he approached from the rear quarter of my port side at easily twice the speed I was doing. This isn't an isolated case, as you can see this stuff all the time. It makes me question if this program is doing anything at all after 10 years.

Last edited by floatingphil; 08-10-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the concept . But it needs work .
The big problem I have with the program is being able to do the test online with all your Buddies coaching you with the correct answers . I know a lot of people will argue this but recurrent training in my opinion should be mandatory for Boats , cars and motorcycles .

Paul
Old 08-11-2010, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeff P31
You can have all the cards you want the bottom line is YOU JUST CAN'T FIX STUPID !!!!!
AGREED!!!!!! How many people have you seen [or know?] who have had drivers licenese for 20+ years that are STILL horrible drivers? Its WAY to easy to have someone else write the test for you online [I KNOW its been done]

The only drawback with further restrictions [ie: Gov't involvement] is the funding will have to come from "somewhere", in other words, your operator card will cost $500, instead of $50 and in the end, the money will do NOTHING to make boating and boaters safer!

Michael
Old 08-11-2010, 12:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff P31
You can have all the cards you want the bottom line is YOU JUST CAN'T FIX STUPID !!!!!
Bingo. In addition, if you could in fact fix stupid it sure as hell won't be government doing it.

Just observe people's behavior on the roads despite that 99% of the idiot general population has a driver's license.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:42 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Sutphil
I had a guy (and his whole crew) flip me the bird on Lake Muskoka recently for not changing speed/course. This took place in open water in the middle of the afternoon and he approached from the rear quarter of my port side at easily twice the speed I was doing. This isn't an isolated case, as you can see this stuff all the time. It makes me question if this program is doing anything at all after 10 years.
what kind of boat was it Phil????
Old 08-11-2010, 03:53 PM
Registered

1bagger makes a good point. Re-qualifying on an ongoing basis would go a long way towards having this information actually sink in.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:37 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger
what kind of boat was it Phil????
No Doug, it wasn't me

Phil, if you stick your operators card into a deck, you'll have 3 jokers.

The whole system is that much of a joke really. No training needed, just a little book and a computer or worse, someone else doing the test. It was purely a tax grab from day one. Thats obvious.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:13 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

I sat down at the Toronto boat show, no studying, completly cold, one wrong

no sean I thought it might be a 32 F I know that hangs up there...
Old 08-12-2010, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually never even took the test. I just mailed in a photo copy of a letter from the Harbour Commisioner stating that I had passed my harbour licence exam and the CG mailed me out my card.

If the Operators Card was granted after the same type of test as the Harbour Licence, I would feel much better about the program.
Sure, it costs 15 bucks a year for a H.L. renewal but whats 15 bucks?

To pass that test, first is a written and multiple choice exam ( 100 questions which must be completed in two hours ) followed by an in boat test with a Metro water cop riding along and throwing different scenarios at you like man over board etc.

Pass both tests, get a licence. Thats the way the Operators card should be administered IMHO.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:47 AM
Registered

Doug,
It was an 22ish O/B something. I'd recognize Airpackers boat because I saw it on the 400 recently. It's the white cat that wears a brassiere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.