Notices

Canadian Customs

Old 06-29-2011, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff P31
Still using an I-68 with no trouble .
you just call in from wherever you arrive back in the US right? hate having to go to customs there at the bridge every yr and get a new one.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:01 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dbhammer
you just call in from wherever you arrive back in the US right? hate having to go to customs there at the bridge every yr and get a new one.
DB---Nexus and I-68 are the same from an entry by boat perspective but I believe for ONLY coming back into the US right? For Guys with the I-68 what do you do for the checking into Canada with the same ease or do you just check in at a video phone? I opted for Nexus based on the flexibility it gives by land and air on both sides of the border and so I didn't have to renew every year.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:13 PM
Registered

was it tough to get the nexus? you still have to call in with the i-68 into canada and supposedly when you arrive back into the us too. that the same process on the nexus?
Old 06-29-2011, 07:38 PM
Registered

Exclamation NEXUS and Annual User Fee decal.

Acquiring a NEXUS card and the required Annual User Fee decal.

The process involves $50 application fee (per person) and $27.50 annual decal fee (per boat over 30'). (, when the US officer walked away, the Canadian officer told me the User Fee decal is just a money making scam, but you better have it! The Canadians are pissed because they didn't think of it first!)

The completion process requires fingerprinting and an interview by both the US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and the Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA). Each NEXUS passenger must have this done.

The Boat Master and each passenger must have a NEXUS card and a BR# (to re-enter the US, which is issued during the interview).

In a nutshell, to enter US (CBP) or Canada (CBSA) you must call and provide:
1. Advanced notice of at least 30 minutes, but no more than 4 hours.
2. Your ETA.
3. The location of the initial "designated site" you are docking (during their normal business hours).
4. The boat registration number.
5. The BR#for each passenger.
6. Full name, DOB, citizenship of each passenger.
7. Your final destination, purpose of trip, length of stay.
8. Photo identification, proof of citizenship of each passenger (NEXUS card).
9. Declare imported goods, and currency information.

And then there's all those onboard beverage and fruit rules.

Good luck, you'll need it!
Old 07-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SunsationalMate
Acquiring a NEXUS card and the required Annual User Fee decal.

The process involves $50 application fee (per person) and $27.50 annual decal fee (per boat over 30'). (, when the US officer walked away, the Canadian officer told me the User Fee decal is just a money making scam, but you better have it! The Canadians are pissed because they didn't think of it first!)

The completion process requires fingerprinting and an interview by both the US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and the Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA). Each NEXUS passenger must have this done.

The Boat Master and each passenger must have a NEXUS card and a BR# (to re-enter the US, which is issued during the interview).

In a nutshell, to enter US (CBP) or Canada (CBSA) you must call and provide:
1. Advanced notice of at least 30 minutes, but no more than 4 hours.
2. Your ETA.
3. The location of the initial "designated site" you are docking (during their normal business hours).
4. The boat registration number.
5. The BR#for each passenger.
6. Full name, DOB, citizenship of each passenger.
7. Your final destination, purpose of trip, length of stay.
8. Photo identification, proof of citizenship of each passenger (NEXUS card).
9. Declare imported goods, and currency information.

And then there's all those onboard beverage and fruit rules.

Good luck, you'll need it!
Correct me if i'm wrong but I think ......

If you are using a NEXUS card every person on the boat must have a NEXUS card.
Both of my folks have them, so if they are alone on the boat no problem, but if there is anyone else with them, everybody has to check in.....

Never mind.... Missed the Bold part the first time
Old 07-05-2011, 12:24 PM
Registered

what a joke. I-68 still looks easier
Old 07-06-2011, 02:24 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by dbhammer
what a joke. I-68 still looks easier
DB---for what you are doing I honestly think it is. Interview process was a little tedious when I did it and you DO need a nexus card for everyone in order to do the fully expedited process. Takes you off the radar of most of the "hard time" from what I can tell and the calling in via cell and heading straight to your destination is nice but I was travelling for work and the air/car portion worked out nice. If you are only by boat...would prob stick to the I-86.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:52 PM
Registered

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

I just saw this notice come out from CBSA which should answer most questions:

Fact Sheet
July 2011

Simplified cell phone reporting for private boaters
While the law has not changed, the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has modernized its reporting requirements for pleasure craft entering Canadian waters, in an effort to make it easier for private boaters to comply with reporting requirements.

Requirement to Report
All recreational boaters are required to present themselves upon their arrival in Canada as per the Customs Act (CA) and Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA). This includes all foreign boaters entering Canada, as well as private boaters who depart Canada and enter foreign waters, and subsequently return to Canada.

This obligation exists regardless of their activities while outside of Canada or their planned activities while in Canada. Arrival in Canada occurs when the pleasure craft crosses the international boundary into Canadian waters.

This provision applies regardless of whether or not boaters drop anchor, land, enter an inland tributary or moor alongside another vessel while in foreign waters.

The only exception to the above applies to vessels that are ‘in-transit’ through Canada. In order to be considered “in-transit” the vessel must be proceeding directly from one point outside of Canada to another point outside of Canada. In-transit movement must be continuous, uninterrupted and without delays or stopovers. Such movement could be for reasons of the shortest route, requirement of deep waters, evading obstacles such as bridges, etc.

Revised Reporting Arrangements
Certain private boaters may now present themselves to the CBSA by calling the Telephone Reporting Centre (TRC) from their cellular telephones from the location at which they enter Canadian waters. The following groups of individuals may report by cellular phone:

Canadian citizens and permanent residents who have not landed on U.S. soil; and

U.S. citizens and permanent residents who do not plan on landing on Canadian soil.

Owners/operators of private boats that are strictly weaving in and out of Canadian waters but are not in transit, will be required to call the TRC only once at the time of their initial entry into Canadian waters. If this activity changes, i.e., the vessel docks in Canada or takes on new persons or goods while in foreign waters, the boater must report directly to a designated marine reporting site and call the TRC upon their arrival in Canada.

All other private boaters, including those without cellular telephones, must proceed directly to a designated marine telephone reporting site and place a call to the TRC in order to obtain CBSA clearance. This includes all vessels carrying foreign nationals (other than U.S. citizens or permanent residents).

Calling the Telephone Reporting Centre
Upon entering Canadian waters, private boaters who qualify can present themselves to the CBSA by calling the Telephone Reporting Centre (TRC) at 1-888-226-7277. As noted above, all other private boaters, including vessels carrying foreign nationals (other than U.S. citizens or permanent residents), must proceed directly to a designated marine telephone reporting site and place a call to the TRC in order to obtain CBSA clearance.

When pleasure craft operators call the TRC, they will be required to answer a few questions regarding their trip, passengers onboard the vessel, and their declarations. It is the responsibility of the owner/operator to ensure all those onboard have proper identification. After recording the information provided, the border services officer (BSO) at the TRC will make a decision on whether a verification or examination is required or not. If no examination is necessary, the officer at the TRC will provide a report number to the owner/operator. The receipt of this report number will constitute release and approval for entry into Canada.

If a verification orexamination is to be conducted, the BSO at the TRC will advise the owner/operator to proceed to the closest reporting site and to ensure that all goods and passengers remain onboard until the verification team arrives. A report number will be provided by a BSO following the verification process. Owners/operators should keep their report number available during their entire stay in Canada.

Failure to Report
Failure to report may result in detention, seizure or forfeiture of the vessel and/or monetary penalties. The minimum fine for failing to report to the CBSA upon entry to Canada is C$1,000.

Following enforcement action, all persons have the right to appeal the penalty. An independent third party reviews the elements of the seizure/action and will render a decision. To appeal a seizure or penalty, individuals must send a written submission to the Recourse Directorate of the CBSA. Consult the Disagreements, review and appeals section for more information. The appeal must be filed within 90 days of the penalty action.

Advanced Reporting Arrangements
NEXUS members can provide advance notice to the CBSA at least 30 minutes (minimum) and up to four hours (maximum) prior to arriving in Canada by calling the NEXUS Telephone Reporting Centre at 1-866-99-NEXUS (1-866-996-3987).

CANPASS members are required to provide advance notification to the CBSA at least 30 minutes (minimum) and up to four hours (maximum) prior to arriving in Canada by calling the TRC at 1-888-CANPASS (1-888-226-7277)

The CBSA is reviewing its reporting arrangements for participants in large events, such as fishing derbies, and is considering options to facilitate a more streamlined approach in these cases.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks for posting the info.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Thanks for posting the info.
Agree good stuff! Looks like the issue of drifting, swiming, fishing in and out of candian waters is solved by a quick cell call. Everything else is status quo. Still think they can do a better job with the finite definition of In-Transit instead of stating "etc".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.