Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Great Lakes and Canada
July 2nd Thunder Storms (Detroit Area) >

July 2nd Thunder Storms (Detroit Area)

Notices

July 2nd Thunder Storms (Detroit Area)

Old 07-14-2011, 10:13 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default July 2nd Thunder Storms (Detroit Area)

We were out on the Boat all day July 2nd, and for some very strange reason, I decided to head in early. WHen we got to the docks, I noticed the wind picking up a bit, but no clouds in the sky. I had a feeling some storms were on the way. Within 30 minutes of getting back to the dock, the storm clouds began to build. Well it was too much longer and hell broke loose in Wyandotte. We got hammerd pretty good. We lost power after the storm began, so I ran to the gargae to grab a lantern. By the time I got back in the house, within seconds my neighbors tree (large branch) fell across my driveway and garage. I litterly missed getting hit by this mamoth by less than 5 seconds..... Anyway, after a few estimates, it appears close to $10k in damage. This is providing no actual structure has been damaged. Due to UV fading, all of the siding needs to be replaced (color match), the Front Door was dented (non-repairable), the roof needs to be completly replaced (underlieing wood replaced in areas), Minor electrical work (replace coach lights), and the overhanges in front and side need to be replaced. Oh yeah, $400 in tree/debris removal and a small piece of fence replaced. I guess that is what homeowners insurance is for......... Here is a link to the damage photos
http://www.bradzgarage.com/Garage_Da...age_damage.htm
Old 07-15-2011, 07:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by low_psi
We were out on the Boat all day July 2nd, and for some very strange reason, I decided to head in early. WHen we got to the docks, I noticed the wind picking up a bit, but no clouds in the sky. I had a feeling some storms were on the way. Within 30 minutes of getting back to the dock, the storm clouds began to build. Well it was too much longer and hell broke loose in Wyandotte. We got hammerd pretty good. We lost power after the storm began, so I ran to the gargae to grab a lantern. By the time I got back in the house, within seconds my neighbors tree (large branch) fell across my driveway and garage. I litterly missed getting hit by this mamoth by less than 5 seconds..... Anyway, after a few estimates, it appears close to $10k in damage. This is providing no actual structure has been damaged. Due to UV fading, all of the siding needs to be replaced (color match), the Front Door was dented (non-repairable), the roof needs to be completly replaced (underlieing wood replaced in areas), Minor electrical work (replace coach lights), and the overhanges in front and side need to be replaced. Oh yeah, $400 in tree/debris removal and a small piece of fence replaced. I guess that is what homeowners insurance is for......... Here is a link to the damage photos
http://www.bradzgarage.com/Garage_Da...age_damage.htm
That storm came in fast and it was blowing, tree's, power lines down all over. Glad to hear that you didn't get hurt by the broken branch.