Notices

Sandusky Bay

Old 06-22-2012, 10:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sandusky Bay

I used to cross the bay view bridge on Ohio SR 2 on a pretty regular basis. For all of that water east of the bridge, I almost never see a boat! Is it super shallow or full of rock sholes? Sometimes when the big lake is kicking up (which is most of the time), the bay is laying down. One would think it would be full of smaller boats.

What gives?
Old 06-22-2012, 11:59 PM
Registered

According to the charts its about 5-7' deep near the bridge. The bay is shallow you gotta pay attention. Just saw a 30-35' cruiser run aground in the bay near the sandbar last weekend. They had 2 jet ski's trying to pull the boat off. Last time up there last year I cut in to close and just about got stuck turned around and was spitting sand. I had to jump out and walk the boat to deeper water. Ended up costing me about a dime due to a bent prop shaft.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:17 AM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Still Crazy
I used to cross the bay view bridge on Ohio SR 2 on a pretty regular basis. For all of that water east of the bridge, I almost never see a boat! Is it super shallow or full of rock sholes? Sometimes when the big lake is kicking up (which is most of the time), the bay is laying down. One would think it would be full of smaller boats.

What gives?
Not sure why... Back in the 80's we never missed a weekend. We were chasing the flat water. That was when the old bridge was still intact. regardless of wind, there was always protection to get our old jet screaming.........
Attached Thumbnails Sandusky Bay-scan0003.jpg   Sandusky Bay-scan0130.jpg   Sandusky Bay-scan0133.jpg  

Sandusky Bay-scan0134.jpg  
Old 06-23-2012, 05:32 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Ok who is running the boat? They look like a couple of strangers to me!!!
Old 06-23-2012, 08:58 AM
Registered

I actually mispoke. The large body of water west of the bridge vs. east. I do see some boat traffic east of the bridge toward the train tracks.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:24 PM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We were just there today There are a couple of nice stops over there. Two Cans tiki bar and Jimmy Bukkets on the river just past the bay. BUT there are a lot of trees or tree limbs so you have to be on look out all the time. Doesnt make for a real relaxing trip so we dont head over there too often. I was the spotter today and saw at least 6 "spears" sticking out of the water..... and they are barely out of the water. You have to be paying attention.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:24 PM
Registered

A good friend of mine lives on the water near the bridge in bay view. I can just about walk from his dock to the rt 2 bridge. Its a nasty mushy bottom over there all mud. Save the far end of the bay for jetski's or little outboards. And for the record the sandbar is now 50 ft outside the big marker.....ask me how I know???
Old 06-25-2012, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Great place to spend some time on a smaller boat, we spent years up there in Hydrostreams and the later on our Skaters. Bought a bigger boat and do go over there much anymore, would rather be in the lake.

If you go up the river make sure you go with someone who has been there before. It's a little tricky