PIB first timer...advice? >

PIB first timer...advice?

Notices

PIB first timer...advice?

Old 07-09-2012, 12:31 AM
Registered

Received 1,825 Likes on 714 Posts

What is PIB?

Met three guys at Kelly's Island one yr that had just gotten in from their first trip to PIB. Was a professor from the university of Toledo and two of his students. They sailed there in the professors 21' sail boat.
Was near zero wind and took them 9 hrs! Neither of the students had ever sailed before and both got sea sick on the trip. (9hrs of it!!)
When @ PIB they all (of course) got drunk as monkeys and the two students passed out on the boat, down bellow, one on the floor at the foot of the stairs leading down from the cockpit. The prof. returns from the bars (at dark) to his boat (also drunk as a monkey), promptly gets sick and puked through the cabin door, into the cabin and onto the sleeping student!
They were now @ Kelly's because someone told them it was as much fun.
Never forget them as they were cooking shrimp on a grill from their tiny sail boat, had everything they owned laying in the parking lot (Seaway) airing out, in party mode again, it's dark, no wind and they try to bribe me to tow them back to PIB

Learned a lot about life and my liver at that place. Was taught the definition of the term "swinger" when a group of us 17 yr olds were camping there

Yrs ago, Playboy rated it as the #3 pick up spot in the nation.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went over Sunday afternoon and had lots of open spaces, Docked right up at B Dock. Sundays are usualy pretty open and more family friendly.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by laszlo01
Went over Sunday afternoon and had lots of open spaces, Docked right up at B Dock. Sundays are usualy pretty open and more family friendly.
I was there yesterday with family. Did you see the two guys at Roundhouse? We stayed for a bit, they were pretty funny. It was pretty relaxed on Sunday, good time, but I didn't party (DD).

Hit some 4-5 footers in the cabin cruiser off Cedar Point on the way over, it does NOT handle snotty water at all, worst riding hull ever!
Old 07-09-2012, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frickstyle
I was there yesterday with family. Did you see the two guys at Roundhouse? We stayed for a bit, they were pretty funny. It was pretty relaxed on Sunday, good time, but I didn't party (DD).

Hit some 4-5 footers in the cabin cruiser off Cedar Point on the way over, it does NOT handle snotty water at all, worst riding hull ever!
Had the family with us so hit the winery, Mr Eds and the boardwalk. Ride over was perfect with the ride back being a little snotty but man was it a fun ride in the offshore.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I left PIB at 11:30 am Sunday. Sounds like this was the right choice.... The first 10 miles noth of PIB was a little rough, as it always is.... But after that Lake Erie was as smooth as I have ever seen it. We were with a buddy in a cmaller, much slower cabin cruiser so we had tabs and drive burried @ 30MPH. Once we got past that first 10 miles, the lake was so flat that my boat began to porpoise (Velocity doesn't like smooth water)..... But since my buddy doesn't ahve a GPS in his cabin cruiser, we delt with the porpoising @ 30 until he was familiar with where he was at. I was then able to trim up, and hammer down. It was a smooth ride once I was able to get the boat out of the water....
Old 07-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by laszlo01
Had the family with us so hit the winery, Mr Eds and the boardwalk. Ride over was perfect with the ride back being a little snotty but man was it a fun ride in the offshore.
Yes, that must have been you I saw come in around noon. We were eating up on the balcony of the Boardwalk. I walked down about 6 o'clock on my way out and checked out your 37'. You were parked behind a Top Gun, you have a nice boat. I am still working on the Top Gun so I'll be rockin' the cruiser this year. I'll stop by and say hello if I see you at your boat next time. The ride home for us was like glass, which is goo dbecause the Sea Ray feels like its gonna fall apart in anything over 2-3'. If Carolina Classics had a bigger berth, that would e a nice smaller cruiser to have for Erie, or a Contender, for family boating.

There was also a nice red 38 TG, newer, that came early afternoon. Sharp ride!