Help picking out chart plotter

Notices

Help picking out chart plotter

Old 06-27-2012, 09:45 PM
mgh
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help picking out chart plotter

looking at all different models...anyone with experience on Huron/Lk st clair?

correct me if im wrong, but most garmin need the G2 vision card?
i.e. garmin 541s

what about standard horizon cp190i?

any others i might be missing, overlooking?

i guess im looking for something with the most loaded up chartplotter in stock form, without dishing out extra bucks ...

any input is greatly appreciated..looking to upgrade out of a older garmin handheld gps desperately

thnx
Old 06-27-2012, 10:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an older Garmin GPS210, black and white and you needed a PhD in electronics to use it, LOL!

I got a Raymarine A50 for Christmas last year, and I am pretty happy with it, they are reasonably priced and it works real well. I like the "sea talk" cable, it lets you add a pile of stuff "down the road" without having to buy a new plotter or a bunch of adapters.

My second choice would be the Lowrance HDS series, they are really nice.

Good Luck!
Michael
Old 06-27-2012, 10:33 PM
mgh
Registered

haha..those raymarine are very nice..ill have to check into those further. do u get a lot of detail on your a50? some garmin folks say that some detail doesnt show up unless you buy the g2 vision card..
Old 06-28-2012, 01:52 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am pretty happy with the detail, it's only a 5" screen, so, it can get "compressed" looking if there is lots of clutter, I use the "zoom" function to clear it up, there is also a really cool "decluttering" thing that eliminates some of the unnecessary stuff on the screen to make it easier to read. My boat is small (25ft) so I don't have room at the helm for a 8 or 10 inch screen, sadly.

I use the Navionics Platinum card, it's 8gb and shows a lot of detail, including the overhead and 3D views, which is cool.

Good Luck!
Old 06-28-2012, 06:24 AM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

I had a Lowrance HD chartplotter on a previous boat, it was so damn clear. I really liked the unit.

Does anyone make a chartplotter that can control media? Was it Raymarine that did this?
Old 06-28-2012, 09:05 AM
mgh
Registered

Nice top gun!! Any temporary mount suggestions? Not really interested in permanent fixing to dash
Old 06-28-2012, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a Lowrance HDS5 this winter, been very happy with it so far. Came preloaded with Great Lakes and all inland lakes, lots of detail and very good display. Also very easy to use.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I have been keeping an eye on prices on the Garmin 546s. It comes loaded with great lakes charts and is higher res than most in it's price range.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by n20michael
I had an older Garmin GPS210, black and white and you needed a PhD in electronics to use it, LOL!

I got a Raymarine A50 for Christmas last year, and I am pretty happy with it, they are reasonably priced and it works real well. I like the "sea talk" cable, it lets you add a pile of stuff "down the road" without having to buy a new plotter or a bunch of adapters.

My second choice would be the Lowrance HDS series, they are really nice.

Good Luck!
Michael
What charts came with the unit?
Old 06-29-2012, 03:04 PM
Registered
VIP Member

I just installed a Raymarine e7D and am real happy with it. The screen is brighter than the Garmin and I like having both the touch screen and knobs. Also, it's a new model so it has a faster processor than the equivalent Garmin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.