Planning a 2013 trip to MI, need advice >

Planning a 2013 trip to MI, need advice

Notices

Planning a 2013 trip to MI, need advice

Old 07-26-2012, 11:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning a 2013 trip to MI, need advice

I plan on taking a 2 week trip next summer. Want to spend a few days on west coast in the area of silver lake dunes. Would like to be at an area that we can boat on an inland lake if its real snotty out or hit the big one pending weather & also spend a day or two running a buggy on the dunes. Any suggestion of where to stay & what town you suggest.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 115 Likes on 34 Posts

Spend a day at Silver Lake Dunes, then tow it to Boyne City where all your request will be covered!
Old 07-27-2012, 09:40 AM
Registered

Traverse city docks are a great place to stay right down town. Good ramp just north of docks on west grand traverse bay. If snotty out stay in the east / west bay if calm can run lake mi to charlevoix. Great boating water up that way. Pretty sure some of the northern locals will chime in with details.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Grand Haven is a must go to place on west side

If you come here you are welcome to keep the boat at my dock while you are here
My house is on the water (off of Spring Lake) aprox 40 minute idle out to lake Michigan and in a protected area if the lake is snotty
Marc
Old 07-27-2012, 11:35 AM
Registered

I would skip the lower part of Michigans west coast and go north. Lake Charlavoix, Traverse City or Cheboygan are places that come to mind.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:56 PM
Registered

Torch lake
Old 07-30-2012, 07:06 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pentwater
Old 07-30-2012, 08:10 AM
Registered

We did the area a while ago and stayed in Muskegon at great lakes marina. Boat ramp is right there and lots of parking. Bring a couple of bikes as the trails run in either direction from there along the lake. You're about 30-45 miles from silver lake sand dunes. We traveled up there and were drifting along checking out al the rides when the wife turned and told me I remember when we did that and would dream of the day we would be out on the water and not in the hot sand. Do a google maps search of the area, you'll find there are two inland lakes if Lake Michigan is rough. One of them can be accessed through a narrow stretch on the north side, water level may be an issue though for the smaller lake. Lake Muskegon has a 55 mph limit if I'm not mistaken unlike the idle only in Grand Haven. I found Grand Haven to be a zoo with 6 wide coming and going both ways coast gaurd the whole works. If you want a somthing a little quiter Muskegon might be the place. As others mentioned Traverse City (bays) is also a great area.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:23 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by boatme
Grand Haven is a must go to place on west side

If you come here you are welcome to keep the boat at my dock while you are here
My house is on the water (off of Spring Lake) aprox 40 minute idle out to lake Michigan and in a protected area if the lake is snotty
Marc
Sounds like a offer you can not pass up!

Traverse City is a great place also. PM me anytime. Always looking for people to run with! Even if its on a weekday we will be out!
Old 08-03-2012, 02:51 AM
Registered

Some good info & great offer Boatme. Will be researching some places to stay. Pops lives up in Oscoda so will be dragging the beast up there too so he can go for ride. He wants to put some downriggers on & catch some salmon too