Notices

Lake Erie water level

Old 08-27-2012, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts
Default Lake Erie water level

Hey, I heard something at the marina yesterday that got me worried. Neighbor mentioned that weather gurus predicted a 14" drop in the water level next month. Can anyone confirm or deny this or is it just hearsay? Never heard the actual source....

Thanks.

-JWF
Old 08-27-2012, 10:10 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

possibly the water level usually drops in the fall i dont know about 14" though as if that is the case you wont be able to launch at any of the state launches like dempsey and Mazuricks as they suck now both of those place have needed dredged for at least 3 or 4 years now
Old 08-27-2012, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't know about 14" but where I am in the east end of the lake we are already more then a foot lower then normal for this time of year. If it drops more we are going to have problems.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Montreal needs to lower the water level in the St Lawrence river this week, it has been said they need 11" down for repairs to something. That water level will effect Lake Ontario, not sure if it controls lake Erie as well.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

well dont know about september.... but here on the west end of the lake, the water level always drops some in the fall. then there is a good west wind which can drop this end of the lake especially in the fall and spring. My boat usually has 5~6 feet of water under it at my dock, west wind comes and it can be sitting on the bottom with no water.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

lake ontario is already about 1.5-2 ft low. tried to launch in the lower niagara river. no good. word around town is canada wants to lower lake ontario water for the muskrat population. not sure if true but what i heard. i was on the upper niagara river sunday and water was down at least a foot. seems early for that??
Old 08-27-2012, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

hmmm according to this looks like they wanna raise the water levels in ontario

http://www.niagarafallsreporter.com/...keOntario.html
Old 08-27-2012, 09:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been lower this year than the past couple of years over at the west end, but it also didn't freeze last winter so we lost a lot of water.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:07 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Water level is down in Erie, looks more like an October level, B dock at the bay only going two deep on the inside of the finger.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:05 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dd24skater
Water level is down in Erie, looks more like an October level, B dock at the bay only going two deep on the inside of the finger.
Lot of factors at play. Cousin and Uncle work for the Power Authority that runs the dams up in Northern NY on the St. Lawrence. Long term study going on with trying to find that happy level for Ontario and St. Lawrence that will suffice for the rest of the Great Lakes and Montreal since those bodies of water see the most fluctuation when they need to play with water levels. I did talk to them and think they are going to be playing with level this week up our way. Either way I was out of water at my dock 2 weeks ago. Need to start looking into 40-50 ft extensions to get water for all season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.