Bottom paint for Great Lakes >

Bottom paint for Great Lakes

Notices

Bottom paint for Great Lakes

Old 11-04-2012, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bottom paint for Great Lakes

I'm going to paint the bottom of my Baja in the spring, I've used vc17 on my cruiser worked great but don't like the color that much for the Baja
Was thinking more towards
Interlux micron csc
Interlux trilux 33
Pettit vivid
Either white or light gray

Thanks Matt

Last edited by dudz123; 11-04-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all i know is once you bottom paint a go fast boat, you just married yourself to the boat...for the bottom coat i dont have much input sorry...but im sure you will find out soon..If not i would post up in general boating
Old 11-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Registered

There is a great silver color by Silver Bullet (SeaHawk). For fresh water only. It can go over VC17 I believe, no matter what you choose confirm capatibility.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by prostock3
all i know is once you bottom paint a go fast boat, you just married yourself to the boat...for the bottom coat i dont have much input sorry...but im sure you will find out soon..If not i would post up in general boating
I don't believe so if you keep the boat in the water you have to protect it from blistering etc if its trailered or on a lift than yes dont bother but mine is gonna sit in water from may till october and I'm going to paint with something that comes off very easily with a power washer like vc17 you literally power wash it off no sanding before applying either

Last edited by dudz123; 11-06-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jtanner
There is a great silver color by Silver Bullet (SeaHawk). For fresh water only. It can go over VC17 I believe, no matter what you choose confirm capatibility.
Ill look into it
Thanks
Old 11-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Registered

I am not trying to be stupid but you are saying that the paint will just power wash off, and you just can put a new coat on every year , or does the green just wash off easy to clean it like the on/off cleaner for boats that are not painted
scott just sounds to good to be true with out loseing speed
Old 11-06-2012, 08:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fastscarab22
I am not trying to be stupid but you are saying that the paint will just power wash off, and you just can put a new coat on every year , or does the green just wash off easy to clean it like the on/off cleaner for boats that are not painted
scott just sounds to good to be true with out loseing speed
Yes correct if you get too close to vc17 with a power washer it will get removed from the boat it's a self polishing paint and you'll have to reapply or atleast touch up once a year depending how fast your boat is

On my cruiser I had to touch up once a year and repaint every two years
It went 40mph on GPS now the Baja should be 60-65mph so it'll wear off sooner so maybe recoat every spring

As for loosing speed maybe small loss but for sure less than growth on the bottom of the hull,on sailboats they gain 1-2mph with vc17 but that's sailboats

Last edited by dudz123; 11-06-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:14 PM
Registered

The only draw back for me with vc17m or vc17m extra
Is the color choices but most likely ill just give in and go with the trusted paint
Old 11-08-2012, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

Lets get a few things ironed out for future reference: 1.if you paint a go fast boat with bottom paint,one of the other guys just said it ------ You will never sell the boat and will own it for ever !!!!! 2. you do not have to paint the bottom of the boat if it is in fresh water and the blisters you are talking about have only happened on certain boats--- yes it might help to keep the bottom clean if you paint but it is not required ... granted you will have to spend a lot of time keeping it clean and possibly pull it out of the water a few times a season and clean it with acid but the world will not come to a end if you don't paint.......
3.I have a feeling the only reason that guys tell you to paint is back in the day everybody did it. and Marinas make a lot of money selling you $50.00 a quart paint which requires you to lay under the boat in the spring time freezing your butt off and then pay them to pressure wash the boat off in the fall..Then guess who gets to sand the stuff thats left off the bottom to put new paint on again....
4. In salt water its different , you almost have to
paint to keep all the crap off the bottom,But then again no one who owns a go fast boat keeps it in salt water anyway!!

5. And last but not least the boat looks soooo much better sitting on the trailer with a nice clean white bottom with no three year old dryied up paint sitting on it.

Jim
Old 11-08-2012, 02:42 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree with the above comment. Bottom paint is a bad idea. My boat sits in the water on a mooring all summer and is not bottom painted. The key is to use it enough that it does not sit long enough to have anything grow on it. However, every couple weeks it does get pulled out of the water to get pressure washed and waxed. All of my boats have sat in the water all summer every year. Only one has had the blistering problem, and that was caused by moisture in the layup of the glass.

VC17 is great on sailboats, we use it, but keep it on the sailboats. If you bottom paint anything other then a cruiser you are going to be kicking yourself when it comes time to sell it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.