Notices

Chicago Boating

Old 02-13-2013, 04:06 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

The Michigan side is only an hour so away. Very boater friendly. And nice beaches, that you can beach your boat on.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I would offer this...do not FEAR Lake Michigan, just respect it. Watch the weather and judge accordingly. You'll be fine in a 25' boat.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:05 PM
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good thread! Thank you guys for saving me the frustration & money. I was planning on a trip across this season, I think ill get the map back out & find a new destination!
Old 02-13-2013, 08:48 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes,,,,,Chicago and Lake Michigan both suck,,,,,,everyone should stay away !!!
Old 02-13-2013, 09:42 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I know Saturday I decided to take a ride over to Burnham harbor to check out the launch ramp, with the lake being so low. Right now, I don't think you can launch a 19ft open bow there. So that's a whole new issue.

Lake is lower than it was in 1962. I wonder what the cigarette owners did back then to get their boats in the water?
Old 02-14-2013, 05:41 AM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I know Saturday I decided to take a ride over to Burnham harbor to check out the launch ramp, with the lake being so low. Right now, I don't think you can launch a 19ft open bow there. So that's a whole new issue.

Lake is lower than it was in 1962. I wonder what the cigarette owners did back then to get their boats in the water?
Rent a crane lol?
Old 02-14-2013, 06:44 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah Joe...I'm sweating the same thing. Rich was over at Pastrick earlier this winter with his fishing boat and said there'd be no way we could get a big boat off the trailer.

Although it will screw my mountain biking season, I'm hoping for a VERY rainy wet spring. At least there's a ton of snow up north right now, so the lakes should come up a bit with the melt...
Old 02-14-2013, 07:01 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by pookie
Overnight parking for truck and trailer is not allowed, so the only option is to take your rig to the Marshalling lot at McCormick place which is a huge pain.
Be careful doing that!! Last time I was there for a trade show my 38" trailer was broken into & about 45 pieces of 2- cycle eq (chainsaws) was stollen from me. They had nothing to say & were not responsible for anything. My insurance was sure it was an inside job since its a "Secured" yard, what a joke.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GTOKILLER
Be careful doing that!! Last time I was there for a trade show my 38" trailer was broken into & about 45 pieces of 2- cycle eq (chainsaws) was stollen from me. They had nothing to say & were not responsible for anything. My insurance was sure it was an inside job since its a "Secured" yard, what a joke.
That sucks for sure but hey thats the "Chicago Way" this place is really going down the tubes!!!
Old 02-14-2013, 01:42 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Good and Bad

There is always the good with the bad about every major metropolitan area in the USA. Research like you are doing and find the best set-up for yourself and then the boat. If you don't live close to where you boat, store it close enough to lake to make short trailer hauls. I used to live in the Highland Park - Fort Sheridan area many years ago, loved it. Chain of Lakes really cool!!! Do not miss out on Blarney Island, it is a must do, once in a lifetime thing, twice if you like it!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.