Notices

canada water rules

Old 04-07-2013, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SO YOUR POINTis DONT TRY TO OUT RUN THEM LIKE SOME DID IN AREA NOT TO LONG AGO,,, and you know who iam talking about
Old 04-07-2013, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

with that being said it reminded me of another rule.... the canadian police are now working together with the americans so if you run from them they can come into american waters and still get you!!!! the whole im back inm american water doesnt apply anymore.

you should have been at the meeting. it was at the buffalo launch club yesterday morning
Old 04-07-2013, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Default Rules

I usually don't say to much on here.

But here it goes.
I would like to add a suggestion to Canadian boaters that boat in the US regularly: do your self a favor and have a "BR" ( border report # same number given with an I68) attached to your nexus card, have your usual boating friends do the same. when calling into US customs give this number and all your info will come up! get a vessel landing permit if over 30' and all will be good in your boating world!

As for whether the Canadian or US boarder protection officers are worse flip a coin it can go either way based on what mood their in and YOUR demeanor.
I've been run down by CBP helicopter crossing the lake in the cat for a private fun run ( pre arrival call in with nexus ).
I have sat on the deck of the same cat waiting for Canadian Customs to show up for an inspection for 2 hours after a charity fun run for Wertz Warriors .

AB said it best 911 changed the Great Lakes boating reality forever, it was the USA that asked Canada to step up boarder protection!
My boating brothers and sisters we support USA in their efforts to protect our common borders.

I miss the days when boats from the USA lined the docks of the "sand bar restaurant" "Belle river marina" "Light house restaurant" and "cove marina" this type of traffic is pretty sparse these days, I know its a bit of PITA and the economy/ gas prices don't help.

I enjoy meeting new people that share the common passion of boating!
SS
Old 04-08-2013, 09:20 AM
Registered
Gold Member

It is also good to remind yourseves of the drinking laws etc in both waters. They are different regs there that can also get sticky. Good post 88. Remember that touching Candian soil also means if your Anchor is touching bottom in Candian waters!
Old 04-08-2013, 09:21 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by 88bullet
with that being said it reminded me of another rule.... the canadian police are now working together with the americans so if you run from them they can come into american waters and still get you!!!! the whole im back inm american water doesnt apply anymore.

you should have been at the meeting. it was at the buffalo launch club yesterday morning
Also good point...customs agencies with homeland securty, coast gaurd etc are running more US/Canadian integrated teams especially boat teams (can't find the article).
Old 04-08-2013, 08:19 PM
Registered

Yeah the stuff I read goes something like this....in order to consume alcohol on a boat it has to be docked or anchored and must be considered a "bonifide residence" which is defined as having a sleeping berth, galley and PERMANENT head. Regardless of boat size you can not have alcohol accessible while underway unless it's a charter etc.. That means no coolers or even empties in the holders. Drifting in the West river throwing them back is a sure way to get popped sooner or later.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:16 PM
Registered

Here's a real good reference on the drinking laws

http://boating.ncf.ca/alcohol.html
Old 04-11-2013, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bonesmalon
Yeah the stuff I read goes something like this....in order to consume alcohol on a boat it has to be docked or anchored and must be considered a "bonifide residence" which is defined as having a sleeping berth, galley and PERMANENT head. Regardless of boat size you can not have alcohol accessible while underway unless it's a charter etc.. That means no coolers or even empties in the holders. Drifting in the West river throwing them back is a sure way to get popped sooner or later.
Thats correct! "Beer on the Pier and water on the water". Where did I hear that before?
Old 04-13-2013, 12:05 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great post Bullet, wish that meeting was open to all, its a shame we have all become criminals because of 9/11, and alot of us answer bye saying we don't boat the west river, what about when we run to sunset? its all canadian water between the bridges and out past the roundhouse,
I can't tell you the number of people who I have known, that grew tired of all the laws and bs that have gotten outta boating, another reason I've become found of inland lake boating over the last few years
Old 04-15-2013, 10:32 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Get your Nexus.....check in via cell....easy in and out...go enjoy boating!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.