Notices

Green Bay Run

Old 04-30-2013, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Green Bay Run

Planning on doing a cruise from elk rapids to green bay this summer. Anyone done this run or a similar run. Just looking for any input\recommendations.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have never done that trip... but I can give you some ideas of where to go once you are here if you want them.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:02 PM
Registered

Hello, I've made that trip in 2008 from North Port to Green Bay. Just make sure you stay away from the Manitou Islands its really shallow around there. once you get into Green Bay stay in the shipping lane to avoid the thick shallow silt and mud. It was quit the adventure.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:14 AM
Registered

Assuming you come through the ship canal in Sturgeon Bay on your way to Green Bay make sure you follow the buoys (between them) when you're out of the no wake zone after the Michigan Street bridge passing Bayship. There are some real shallow spots on the north side of buoys (the "flats") that will really test your pucker if you don't clip a skag or worse with the current water levels.

I have not yet run down to GB with the boat, but will get there this year. Fox river water is not very appealing, but have heard there are a few places to stop for food/drink along the river. I grew up boating here in Door County and have always enjoyed the Bay side of the county. The lake side is more quiet, but can be 10-15 degrees cooler if wind is off the lake and the marinas are fishing oriented, to me at least. Fish Creek and Sister Bay can be lots o fun.

Would recommend stopping by Dockside in Oconto on the west side of Green Bay (the body of water), huge servings (Wisconsin) and a clean joint.

thinking about crossing to Charlevoix area this summer, no more 3+ hour cruising crossings like back in the day LOVE the Traverse Bay area.