Notices

Grand Haven Mi

Old 06-23-2014, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grand Haven Mi

Any good boating locations there? Heading over there this weekend with a 30ft Scarab looking to have a good time for the weekend with a few buddies - its his diaper party. Any good spots to go? Dinner on the lake? Advice? Where to put in?
Old 06-23-2014, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PM drock78 I think. He is from over that way, great guy and will help ya.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:02 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Make sure to bring a trolling motor to get in and out of the harbor since they have a hard on for performance boats that might make a little noise.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:17 AM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

Not anymore. There are guys running dry exhaust and not getting pulled over. They eased up a lot after they saw a big drop in business.

If you're looking to raft up and party, go back into spring lake and the first Cove you come to is Smith's cove. There's 75+ boats on any given weekend. If you're looking to run somewhere for lunch and drinks, Dockers fish house in Muskegon is the place to be. It's about a 20 min ride from Grand haven. The nightlife in downtown grand haven is always good. A slip at the municipal marina is a couple hundred feet away from downtown or you can stay on the wall for free.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Drock78
Not anymore. There are guys running dry exhaust and not getting pulled over. They eased up a lot after they saw a big drop in business.

If you're looking to raft up and party, go back into spring lake and the first Cove you come to is Smith's cove. There's 75+ boats on any given weekend. If you're looking to run somewhere for lunch and drinks, Dockers fish house in Muskegon is the place to be. It's about a 20 min ride from Grand haven. The nightlife in downtown grand haven is always good. A slip at the municipal marina is a couple hundred feet away from downtown or you can stay on the wall for free.
Uh ok, not sure about that. We were sitting in the municipal marina 2 weeks ago and watched the sheriff single out the yellow fountain that said Boyne City on the back, just sayin.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:01 PM
VIP Member

That was my new-to-me boat, a 42 foot Fountain.

The Sheriff said that they were looking for our numbers until they checked our stern and figured that we were a documented boat.
We were down to one engine by the time they spoke to us, but we knew they were coming at us. I shut down the boat to speak with them and they were fine, but did ask if we had ever had a Db check on the boat, to which we answered no. They thought it might be over the 90 Db limit but did not press the issue. Of course, then I had to start up the engine to get us back to the ramp and it is somewhat loud when I start one of them up!

We have been stopped 3 times in the past 2 months, but only to check on little things like how high the letters on the Home Port name were. They have always been nice, but we always say that we are just there because that is where the shop that takes care of our boat is located. Knock on wood, but we have not had a problem with them, but we always keep an eye out for them and shut down to one engine if they are close.

We have found the area quite lovely and a lot of fun.
We run up to Lake Muskegon or down to Holland. There is a very nice place to eat on the water way back in Holland, whose name escapes me! Sorry.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by fasterbusa
That was my new-to-me boat, a 42 foot Fountain.

The Sheriff said that they were looking for our numbers until they checked our stern and figured that we were a documented boat.
We were down to one engine by the time they spoke to us, but we knew they were coming at us. I shut down the boat to speak with them and they were fine, but did ask if we had ever had a Db check on the boat, to which we answered no. They thought it might be over the 90 Db limit but did not press the issue. Of course, then I had to start up the engine to get us back to the ramp and it is somewhat loud when I start one of them up!

We have been stopped 3 times in the past 2 months, but only to check on little things like how high the letters on the Home Port name were. They have always been nice, but we always say that we are just there because that is where the shop that takes care of our boat is located. Knock on wood, but we have not had a problem with them, but we always keep an eye out for them and shut down to one engine if they are close.

We have found the area quite lovely and a lot of fun.
We run up to Lake Muskegon or down to Holland. There is a very nice place to eat on the water way back in Holland, whose name escapes me! Sorry.
They are training the new guys. Thats why they are pulling boats over for basic checks and not pressing the issue on alot of things.

The place in Holland is Boatwerks. We either go there or Dockers. I've been out to Grand Haven 5 times so far this year and only waved to by CG and Sheriff. im sure I'm over 90db but have never been tested. If they were being pricks like everyone says, there would be ALOT less go fast boats around there like it was about 4 years ago.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks - that is good to know.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:56 AM
Registered

That is great news. I put my turndowns on just for that weekend. Don't know if I will try without them??? Thanks for the update. KS
Old 06-25-2014, 07:54 AM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

They have been much better the last couple years. The guy with the white hair is a real dikk and the only one to watch out for. As drock said boatwerks in holland and dockers in muskegon are the two best restaurant's. On the far end of muskegon lake is another nice place called the lake house. Please do not tie up on the wall in gr haven unles you have those gigantic round fenders. Another cool place to hang is pigeon lake. It's between gr haven and holland where the power plant is, really clean water and usually a dozen or so boats beached. Also municipal boat launch on harbor island is the best place to put in and has overnight parking. You guys have fun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.