Lake Huron: 2nd leg of my trip - looking for advice >

Lake Huron: 2nd leg of my trip - looking for advice

Notices

Lake Huron: 2nd leg of my trip - looking for advice

Old 06-25-2014, 06:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lake Huron: 2nd leg of my trip - looking for advice

On Wenesday July 16 I plan on leaving Harbor Springs early in the morning and heading out to Beaver Island. Folllowing a quick stop I'll head to Macinac Island. Visit for a few hours and then down to Cheboygan, and spend the night in Presque Isle.

I'm thinking of getting fuel in Cheboygan. The municipal marina says they have "90". Any place carry higher? Any spots on the lake to have special caution? Any suggestions for nice spots or restaurants/bars to visit?

The plan on Thursday is traveling down to Harrisville. Looks like about 60 miles. We would like to top off with fuel, and then head to port austin. I'm debating whether to stop there or if there are other spots to consider between Harrisville and Lexington?

Friday morning will head home.

Intetested in suggestions on fuel, places to visit, or cautions to be aware of for the whole route. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Thunder Bay at Alpena. Stay in the channel. Run up the river through town for lots of facilities and see "sputnik" historic lighthouse. Harrisville has a small harbor. Oscoda has some harbors and facilities if you head into the AuSable River. Not a whole lot there though. Now a little ways south of Oscoda is Tawas Bay which is very cool because you can tie up at the East Tawas municipal Harbor and walk around town. Lots of bars and shops here. It's a tourist town. They also have an off-shore race in Tawas Bay coming up soon. Now shoot across the tip of the thumb and look for Port Austin Reef Light. You can get fuel at East Tawas or Port Austin but make sure you stay wide (north) of Port Austin Reef (marked by the off-shore light). Heading down the thumb Port Sanilac has a nice harbor and gas dock and is walking distance to town and a nice diner and another historic light. Lexington has a small harbor and not much else. If you go a little further, almost to the St. Clair River there is a public beach just north of Port Huron that is popular with boaters. Be careful of the sandbars as you head toward the beach though. Then you can run the St. Clair River and just need to watch the channel markers but it's an easy and fun run down to Algonac and then to Lake St. Clair.There are not many hazards. Just watch your chartplotter if you go into Thunder Bay and swing south of the buoy if you enter Tawas Bay. You will see the historic Tawas Light on shore just before the bay. I highly recommend East Tawas. These are my waters!! I have a vacation home near Oscoda. I can't answer your question on fuel since my boat burns 87.

Last edited by thirdchildhood; 06-25-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Exactly, the type of info I need. How far from Presque isle to east tawas? Looks like about 120 miles. The only thing I'm " locked" into is spending some time on Macinac Island during the day on Wednesday. I figured leaving there, see a little of Cheboygan and be tied up at Presque isle by 6 or so.

East Tawas sounds fun. I only want to run 40 MPH or so. If I can make E Tawas (from Presque Isle ) in 3 hours or less that would be a better stop than harrisville. Hang out for a few hours and then head to Port Sanillac? About how far between tawas and Sanillac?

Is Saginaw Bay as rough as The horror stories I've heard?
Old 06-25-2014, 10:01 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Hammond Bay refuge harbor has 93 for $4.60. It's just past Cheboygan about 15 miles. PM me when you get to the area. The Boathouse is a nice place on the river that is on the lake side of the dam. We stop there often when we are on the river.

Last edited by ThisIsLivin; 06-25-2014 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

I have not been as far as Mackinac Island but will go there sometime soon. It looks like about 70 miles from there to Presque Isle and only about 80-90 miles from there to Tawas. Yes, skip Harrisville. There is nothing there. Hit East Tawas. Just swing south around the buoy which is south of the light house on land. and then NW into the bay. It's fun in there. They don't charge me to tie up for a few hours and the state workers cannot take tips so it's a freebie too! There is a public beach next to the harbor too. Walk into town and check it out. I avoid Saginaw Bay. It scares the hell out of me because of the rocky shoals around Charity Island and Gravelly Shoal. The whole bay makes Lake St. Clair look deep. Someone else can tell you how to navigate Saginaw Bay. I guess the roughness would depend on the wind but the whole lake can get pretty rough. I go straight from Tawas to Port Austin for gas then swing out around the reef and down the thumb to Port Sanilac. It looks like about 90 miles from Tawas to Sanilac. I think that's a state dock too with no fees or tips. Walk straight inland a few blocks to the main road and look for Mary's Diner. I'd cruise faster than 40 if the lake's not kicking up!