Notices

lake st claire

Old 11-24-2014, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by 315duramax
in the area, what it like for performance shops, any dealers that specialize in performance boats? i know there is BC in MI, glass dave in toledo, and mitcher T all for paint and glass work, and XT is in the area correct? i mean in florida you have TNT and many others, and in LOTO its a performance shop on every corner, and you have PBC, LOM, etc etc... im sure i will answer alot of these questions once i go out there this summer, but its winter so might as well educate myself on the area as much as possible while im waiting for my new motors
Wesco racing engines, Ck motorsports, baker engineering, precision power offshore all in west mi. For paint work, T and D custom paint, Boat customs, mitcher t, and Taod is on the boarder or mi and Indiana. Also pier 57 is 2-3 hrs away in Chicago. Lots of competition by established company's.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:21 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Glass dave, tyler croockket, Brian orlandi, sterling, ilmor,xt, there are a lot of shops around.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 315duramax
im used to shoals and stuff, are most of them marked? there is one lake by us that only takes about 20 mins to run to one end to the next... they joke about it being a land mine if your not in the channel markers. Though i boat in the 1000 islands so its constantly knowing about shoals etc. but thats always good to know! keep the replies coming! what about marinas, fuel cost, restaurants etc.
The main channels have markers. Plenty of shoals to look out for that are not marked. And water levels play a major part, some areas that normally have been 3ft deep might only 1-2ft depending on the water level. Plus as others have mentioned if you start a shop here you will have a bunch of well established shops to compete with. And Midwest people tend to be loyal customers, if they receive good service they from a shop they stick with that shop.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:26 PM
Registered

Received 228 Likes on 77 Posts

all great info! what are the marinas like? boat sales, fuel, etc..
Old 11-29-2014, 08:31 PM
Registered

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Depends on how much you want to spend. All depends on area that you are on. I know there is a marina that you can get a dock at for 450 from May till November. It's a 15 min idle to the lake but it's $450. Closer is more. Lake st Claire is more like $1600 from what I've heard.

I'm on Lake Erie.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Miller Marina, lots of go fasts on hoists. Great location.

Miller0001 on here.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phil, if you want to come to the lake and have fun in the summer you will have a great time!! Many Marinas and Restaurants on the water!!

If you want to try and start a shop here you will loose your money. Unless you have Millions of Dollars to spend on a giant shop/marina on the water that can hire Factory Certified Volvo and Mercury Mechanics you will never be able to start a shop here and stay in business. This area is one of the best boating areas in the country and has many Marinas and Shops that have been established way longer than you have been alive. This would be one of the worst places in the country to try and start a new shop unless you have the knowledge and MILLIONS in cash to back it up.

Not trying to be a a$$ (i'm done with internet fighting) Just speaking from my knowledge of the area.