Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Great Lakes and Canada
Any issue going through St Clair during the races next wknd??? >

Any issue going through St Clair during the races next wknd???

Notices

Any issue going through St Clair during the races next wknd???

Old 07-17-2015, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any issue going through St Clair during the races next wknd???

Just curious. We're traveling up the river on Saturday July 25th and coming back on Sunday the 26th. Are there any issues going through the St Clair area with the races going on? Ive never attended to see how they handle the boat traffic.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am a volunteer patrol boat for the St. Clair Races. However, I have never been to this race before. I did patrol the Detroit River race last year. On Sat & Sun the Detroit River was completely closed to traffic, unless commercial. They only allowed recreational boats to pass thru once on Saturday and that was about the mid-point of testing and was a window of about 15 minutes. After that the river was once again closed. On Sunday, pretty much the same thing. I am not sure how they handle traffic at the St. Clair site, but I would imagine it would be very similar. So you will probably spend a good portion of your day waiting to pass thru. With that said, I believe testing on Saturday will begin around Noon and end at around 3:30-4:00pm. So to avoid any issues, maybe try and get thru there before 11-11:30. On Sunday, I believe the racing program will begin around 11:30-12:00 and will run till about 4:00-4:30. If your not on a tight schedule, it's not like you wait won't be entertaining... After all, they will be testing and racing Offshore Race boats. It could be worse.....
Old 07-17-2015, 09:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by low_psi
I am a volunteer patrol boat for the St. Clair Races. However, I have never been to this race before. I did patrol the Detroit River race last year. On Sat & Sun the Detroit River was completely closed to traffic, unless commercial. They only allowed recreational boats to pass thru once on Saturday and that was about the mid-point of testing and was a window of about 15 minutes. After that the river was once again closed. On Sunday, pretty much the same thing. I am not sure how they handle traffic at the St. Clair site, but I would imagine it would be very similar. So you will probably spend a good portion of your day waiting to pass thru. With that said, I believe testing on Saturday will begin around Noon and end at around 3:30-4:00pm. So to avoid any issues, maybe try and get thru there before 11-11:30. On Sunday, I believe the racing program will begin around 11:30-12:00 and will run till about 4:00-4:30. If your not on a tight schedule, it's not like you wait won't be entertaining... After all, they will be testing and racing Offshore Race boats. It could be worse.....

UGH, that would be the worst case scenario. While I would enjoy it.....I'll have 3 kids with me, one of which is only 2. Spending hours sitting on the boat not moving will not work out.

Anybody else know about getting through? I guess I could call the chamber up there to find out.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:20 AM
Registered

Just called the riverfest company. They said they do not completely close the river and that boats can get through during the races......although she didnt sound like an expert.

Got an answering machine at the COC.

Last edited by bparsel1; 07-17-2015 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bparsel1
Just called the riverfest company. They said they do not completely close the river and that boats can get through during the races......although she didnt sound like an expert.

Got an answering machine at the COC.
I wouldn't believe that.. That area is much narrower than the Detroit River. Plus I am watching a reply of last years race at lunch an they stated in the internet broadcast that the area was closed to all traffic other than freighters.... At which point they put the entire race under caution until the freighter clears the course.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:29 PM
Registered

This is from a guy I know that was working patrol last year for the St. Clair race.
"It's dependent on the amount of traffic. Sunday it will generally be closed 11-5 with periodic openings between races. Saturday is dependent on weather and how many boats are testing"
Old 07-17-2015, 01:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by low_psi
This is from a guy I know that was working patrol last year for the St. Clair race.
"It's dependent on the amount of traffic. Sunday it will generally be closed 11-5 with periodic openings between races. Saturday is dependent on weather and how many boats are testing"
Well, thats not too bad. Im still going to try and reach the chamber for clarification but on Sunday we should be able to get back through St Clair before 11am.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:55 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Anytime we have gone, the coast guard will allow you to run up the outside of the course only in between races and right up until the race starts. Definitely cannot go through during the race. And they make you stay pretty far away, so viewing the race from your boat is not that much fun.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

The river will be closed to through traffic as it always is. They will allow freighters and boats through- only between races.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by senzaspectre
The river will be closed to through traffic as it always is. They will allow freighters and boats through- only between races.

Yeah, I found the rules from the 2014 race stating exactly that. It sounds like going up on Saturday we should be able to get through during testing...with a slight delay. Sunday I'm just planning to be back past St Clair before 11am. The extra boat traffic will be a pain but it should all work out.

Sounds like Im actually going to have to monitor the VHF for the first time in a while.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.