Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Great Lakes and Canada
Trenton Channel to Put In Bay >

Trenton Channel to Put In Bay

Notices

Trenton Channel to Put In Bay

Old 09-02-2016, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess, from what people have told me you need to stay in US waters now. I normally shoot out of the Livingston, hit "go-to waypoint" on my GPS and make a straight line shot. I have only once had a smooth ride both ways. Usually its bumpy on at least one part of the trip, usually on the way home with a pounding headache....
Old 09-02-2016, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I spent a few minutes looking for some source documentation from a Canadian Customs website and failed, but these is a widely understood "boats in transit" exception. Meaning if you are travelling from point "A" to point "B" in the United States, and your origin and destination are not coincident, you are not required to report in when you cross the border.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:50 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Correct, you can pass thru canadian waters, just dont stop. (well unless your an idiot on a raft with 1500 other idiots)
Old 09-02-2016, 06:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to live in Toledo and used to run around that area quite a bit, worked nights and had all day to go out on the lake.

I usually tried to stay in US waters regardless if it was a little longer run, sometimes I would take the long way home from the islands and run up the Detroit River channels. Got stopped once by the Sheriff boat at the mouth of the river, but they were just stopping everyone they could.

I also had this happen, so they are watching you.....

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-my-house.html
Old 09-02-2016, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To the OP, like low_psi mentioned I usually fell into the good ride over, bad ride home the next day/two day later category when I used to run over from Toledo. It would take me an hour to get there on Friday and two to get back on Saturday when the lake kicked up and it was miserable, not to mention the beating the boat took. If you are day tripping on a glass smooth day I would say go for it, it's a fun run. But I would suggest trailering over for an overnight. The lake is just too unpredictable and can change in an instance.

Even when I was still living in Toledo I started putting it on the trailer and taking it over for overnights, I live 90 minutes to the south of Sandusky now so it's always trailer up, but just last week I made an impromptu trip up on Tuesday, decided to stay over and party and even the short ride from PIB to Mazuriks the next day wasn't very fun after the lake kicked up a little bit...and the island kicked my butt again with a pretty bad hangover which didn't help either...
Old 09-06-2016, 12:06 PM
Registered

I have had the eye in the sky pick us up before. Once we got within a few miles of our marina a Boarder Patrol Helicopter damn near landed on the deck of my boat and basically flew next to us until we got to our marina..... As we approached the marina, we noticed boarder patrol trucks at the entrance of my marina, at the boat ramp (we had a private ramp) and across the street... I figured, for sure, I had done something really wrong.. However, they just asked where we were coming from and asked if it was ok to inspect the boat. With the amount of man power/tax dollars that were wasted, I can only assume it was a slow day and they opted to use us as a training exercise...

I have been told, things have changed and that US boats aren't even allowed to transit across Canada waters. I have had a few friends hassled by Boarder Agents for this as well. But, I have yet to find anything in writing that says otherwise. So until then I will continue my straight line across Erie.....

Last edited by low_psi; 09-06-2016 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:58 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for all the great info. I'm probably gonna have to wait till next summer to make the run. low_psi, I saw you at the sand bar and in the Trenton Channel over the summer. Nice rig, looks clean...
Old 03-28-2017, 11:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Delo1142
Thanks for all the great info. I'm probably gonna have to wait till next summer to make the run. low_psi, I saw you at the sand bar and in the Trenton Channel over the summer. Nice rig, looks clean...
I think I remember seeing your 23 at the Sandbar a few times. There are a few 36s (one more was just brought up from FL earlier this month) and a couple 30s around (mine and Showtime83). Matt's (SHowtime83) boat has a red arch and looks like a box of crayons exploded down the side and mine is White (with blue and green stripes) and Blue arch. I don't think there are any 23s other than yours in the area.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:22 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by low_psi
I think I remember seeing your 23 at the Sandbar a few times. There are a few 36s (one more was just brought up from FL earlier this month) and a couple 30s around (mine and Showtime83). Matt's (SHowtime83) boat has a red arch and looks like a box of crayons exploded down the side and mine is White (with blue and green stripes) and Blue arch. I don't think there are any 23s other than yours in the area.
Cool, by the description it was definitely your boat that I saw. Hopefully I'll see you out there this summer. Where else do you guys hang out?
Old 04-06-2017, 11:50 AM
Registered

We are usually in Dunbar (North end of the Livingston Channel), Sugar Island, or the Sand Bar. I am not a huge fan of the crowd that hangs out at Celeron.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.