Scott-Check your PM's for the details..
Old 09-05-2005, 08:57 PM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New 388 Slingshot questions

Originally Posted by Lmarth
I've had my Slingshot for five years now and love it here on Lake Ontario. G Force has 800SC's with Hubers and #5's. There are other boats that will better handle five foot waves but I personally don't enjoy the big stuff THAT much. Joe builds a solid boat. Take a look at the layup when you open the storage areas under the seats down below. Open the door under the steering column and check out the wiring. The Bravos will get by with stock power but if you have plans to up the power, then you better look at something stronger. The Slingshot is probably the most common hull to have Arnesons. My only criticism of my boat is that even with the blown 572's, it can get a little boring. That hull will easily take more power. Personally, I'm not a fan of the V-10's. There are a million BBC's out there, a vast array of relatively cheap, proven parts and builders that know how to tune them. I'm not knocking the V-10. I'm just saying that it's not my personal preference. There are tradeoffs if you go the staggered route. I'd listen carefully to the builder as he explains the pros/cons. There are a lot of nice boats out there. My opinion is that the Slingshot is a great boat for the Great Lakes. Having said that, I've been in some ugly stuff on those lakes (the Lake Erie poker run comes to mind) where my blood was messing up the nice white cockpit. Knee and elbow pads definitely will help. Just my opinions for what they are worth...

To me your opinion is worth alot and thanks. I am still looking and listening.

Not sure I understand what I believe Superboat Bob did for a local boater named Jay. He has a 99 Sling and had the bottom redone in order to go fast and not be touchy. He has 900 hp blower motors and runs over 100. Nice guy and pretty boat. Has anyone heard about anyone flattening the strakes in the back in order to gain better and safer top end speed? Seems radical to me and I understand it removes some of the stringers - which would give me cause for worry. No??
Old 09-06-2005, 11:20 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My opinion is that anyone contemplating modifying the strakes should first talk to Joe or Chip at the factory. There were changes made in the construction of certain years build of the Slingshot. For some years, trimming the last foot or so of the inner strakes will cut into the stringers. On some years it won't. My '98' has not had the strakes cut. Rob (Strip Poker 388) may chime in here since he talked to Joe about those modifications this Spring. Rob,I and others have put longer tabs on (380's). They're supposed to give more stability at triple digit speeds by effectively lengthening the hukk. I've got a very high "X' dimension so they also help me get on plane better.For what it's worth...
Old 09-23-2005, 07:11 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nolimits
I was at the Hustler factory this week and am still processing all the data points. What a tour! The 388 Slingshot is now really tugging at my heart. The paint and the tree finished boats that were there was stunning. I had a few questions that I thought I would ask non factory people about. Maybe some of you guys who own the boats can help.

1) What speeds does the 388 with 525's run?
2) How does the boat behave in rough ocean, say 4 - 5 foot swells?
3) The boat can have the engines staggered, but that does not seem to be the way they want to build it. What's the opinion form you guys on that.
4) What do Arenson Surface drives get you? Are they worth the money? Do you get more speed? How much more?
5) What about the V10's?

Thanks in advance!!

Steve
So Steve have ya bought anything yet????

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

My friend just ordered a 388 with 525's and arensons boat should run in the mid 90's.

It is true about changing the bottom for higher speeds past 100mph. The boat was designed for high lift in the rear and works great for speeds less than 100. After that point it gets real hairy and lose. They do the bottom work to make less lift to the rear making it more stable at higher speeds.

Personal I rid in in many 388's and they are great river and lake , bay boats and when it gets really rough it does bang you up. But then again when it's 5-6' I'm never out there.

Good luck in your hunt. Can't go wrong in the 388.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:03 PM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
So Steve have ya bought anything yet????

Rob
Well no. I have moved away from the Slingshot though. My list is reduced to either a 38 Lightning or a 38ZR. I am very close to pulling the trigger on one of them. I appreciate all that I learned from the Huslter guys as well as others. Very difficuly decission. I am getting out of a 29 Fever that I bought less than 2 years ago. What a spanking I am going to take. Really want to make sure I get it right this time.... Thanks for asking!
Steve
Old 09-23-2005, 01:07 PM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by baja27
My friend just ordered a 388 with 525's and arensons boat should run in the mid 90's.

It is true about changing the bottom for higher speeds past 100mph. The boat was designed for high lift in the rear and works great for speeds less than 100. After that point it gets real hairy and lose. They do the bottom work to make less lift to the rear making it more stable at higher speeds.

Personal I rid in in many 388's and they are great river and lake , bay boats and when it gets really rough it does bang you up. But then again when it's 5-6' I'm never out there.

Good luck in your hunt. Can't go wrong in the 388.
I think the 388 is a great and beautiful boat. I am not comfotable with after purchase hull modes though. I would have liked to boat in a Long Island built boat. I will keep my eyes on Hustler in the future.....
Old 09-24-2005, 08:03 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by nolimits
Well no. I have moved away from the Slingshot though. My list is reduced to either a 38 Lightning or a 38ZR. I am very close to pulling the trigger on one of them. I appreciate all that I learned from the Huslter guys as well as others. Very difficuly decission. I am getting out of a 29 Fever that I bought less than 2 years ago. What a spanking I am going to take. Really want to make sure I get it right this time.... Thanks for asking!
Steve

Good luck you cant go wrong with all three. Are ya looking at new ?

Rob

Old 09-24-2005, 04:33 PM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Good luck you cant go wrong with all three. Are ya looking at new ?

Rob
Rob,
Yes, I'd like new. I know there are some great deals out there for used, but am willing to pay a premium for warantee and to get it the way I like it. So long as I am not taking it the way I don't like it, if you catch my drift.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 09-24-2005, 07:21 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Steve There ought to be a few left overs out there , Prob catch a he ll of a deal. Shop around. Coustomryder just bought a 38zr Donz at a hell of a deal and I have seen a few Fountains that have been sitting.

good luck

Rob

Quick Reply: New 388 Slingshot questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.