Notices

New 388 Slingshot questions

Old 08-26-2005, 09:49 PM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New 388 Slingshot questions

I was at the Hustler factory this week and am still processing all the data points. What a tour! The 388 Slingshot is now really tugging at my heart. The paint and the tree finished boats that were there was stunning. I had a few questions that I thought I would ask non factory people about. Maybe some of you guys who own the boats can help.

1) What speeds does the 388 with 525's run?
2) How does the boat behave in rough ocean, say 4 - 5 foot swells?
3) The boat can have the engines staggered, but that does not seem to be the way they want to build it. What's the opinion form you guys on that.
4) What do Arenson Surface drives get you? Are they worth the money? Do you get more speed? How much more?
5) What about the V10's?

Thanks in advance!!

Steve
Old 08-28-2005, 08:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Default Re: New 388 Slingshot questions

The boat with 525's runs slightyly under 90. It runs awsome in rough sees you can run down boats with bigger power with it cause ut handles so well. feel free to give me a call my dealership is 15 minets from the factory. James Pape from Mattituck Inlet Marina. Office 631-298-4480, cell 631-445-9745 looking forward to hearing form you
Old 08-28-2005, 08:58 PM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

I was going to call you after I circled the options and faxed it to Joe. At least that was the plan I discussed with Joe, but shortly after I left the factory I had dozens of new questions. I was making my list (some of which are above) and decided it would be interesting to get other owners thoughts and maybe come up with more questions. But this site seems.... well..... dead?? Anybody out there????

Anyway, I did speak with a guy who has 900 blower motors, keeps his boat over by MRD. Claimed he had to modify the bottom two strakes in order to keep it less skidish at the triple didgit speeds?? The boat was nice, looked great and sounded great. Not my cup of tea, he offered to sell it to me on the spot. All the wrong parts for my world of "turn key and go"...

Aside from that, I know one other guy with a 344 Cheeter. Beautiful boat, just put in new motors and has struggled with all kinds of "upgrade" problems.... But if flys, more than 100!

Anyway, I'll call you tomarrow.... If I buy the boat, not sure who I will be able to talk to though .....

Steve

Last edited by nolimits; 08-28-2005 at 09:33 PM.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:00 PM
Registered

I am on my second Slingshot. I love the boat. I do not know how it handles 4-5 ft seas. I boat at the Lake of the Ozarks and it eats up that water which can get very rough. My first one was a 2000 with 500 EFIs and Bravo 1. It ran 84-87 MPH depending on air temp. It was a great boat. My new one is a 2004 with Cobra 750's and surface drives which will run 105 MPH plus. The boat handles awesome. I would buy another one in a heart beat. I hope this helps.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by nolimits
I was at the Hustler factory this week and am still processing all the data points. What a tour! The 388 Slingshot is now really tugging at my heart. The paint and the tree finished boats that were there was stunning. I had a few questions that I thought I would ask non factory people about. Maybe some of you guys who own the boats can help.

1) What speeds does the 388 with 525's run?
2) How does the boat behave in rough ocean, say 4 - 5 foot swells?
3) The boat can have the engines staggered, but that does not seem to be the way they want to build it. What's the opinion form you guys on that.
4) What do Arenson Surface drives get you? Are they worth the money? Do you get more speed? How much more?
5) What about the V10's?

Thanks in advance!!

Steve

Took out a new 2003 demo leftover w/525's this weekend and the tatle tale showed 88 mph. The dealer claimed they had it to 94 @ the Sarasota Poker run?? No rough water to run in other than 2' chop. No challange. Awesome boat.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

where is this 94 mph sling shot that have to have labbed props cause im only running 89 with mine. Nolimits i put down the wrong number 631-445-0745
Old 08-29-2005, 08:34 PM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

Thanks to you both! I keep looking at the price of boats that seem to be on the rise as well as the price of gas!? It's an incredable investment for me and after a string of new boats every three years I don't want to screw this one up! I keep buying too short and not enough engine ..

Wow!! 105 kicks butt! I know they claim the 525's last about 500 hours - depending on use/abuse before a rebuild is required. Any idea how long the 750's last? How are the Surface drives around the dock? Do you get a nice rooster tail with them?

Thank you. I think the Sling Shot is a beautiful boat....
Old 08-30-2005, 08:25 AM
Registered

Wow!! 105 kicks butt! I know they claim the 525's last about 500 hours - depending on use/abuse before a rebuild is required. Any idea how long the 750's last? How are the Surface drives around the dock? Do you get a nice rooster tail with them?

Thank you. I think the Sling Shot is a beautiful boat....[/QUOTE]

The 750's should last 3-350 hrs. The roost is 30 feet or so. I have no problems around the docks. The bigger props and the smooth shifting with the trannys make it easier.

I would get the 525 boat. It will handle great and put out a good number.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:01 PM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by BigScotty
nolimits:

I am very seriously looking at the 388 as well...

I was one one just over a week ago - it was a '99, with 500HP's, and it ran 84MPH on GPS - clean bottom, hot day, 2-footers... I would bet with 525's, you could get pretty close to 90MPH...

The thing that gets me about this boat is the lines - the design is never really out of style. And the paint job(s) are unreal - this '99 I was on looked like it had come out of the factory a month ago...
Those are the sane reasons I like the boat. The only bad I keep hearing is the rough water performance at higher speeds. I spoke with one guy who actualy cut away two of the strakes so they would not follow all the way to the stern. Claimed it is a known fix for the hull ???? I am looking to get a ride on one at this point..... Let me know what happens with you.... Steve
Old 09-03-2005, 11:00 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I've had my Slingshot for five years now and love it here on Lake Ontario. G Force has 800SC's with Hubers and #5's. There are other boats that will better handle five foot waves but I personally don't enjoy the big stuff THAT much. Joe builds a solid boat. Take a look at the layup when you open the storage areas under the seats down below. Open the door under the steering column and check out the wiring. The Bravos will get by with stock power but if you have plans to up the power, then you better look at something stronger. The Slingshot is probably the most common hull to have Arnesons. My only criticism of my boat is that even with the blown 572's, it can get a little boring. That hull will easily take more power. Personally, I'm not a fan of the V-10's. There are a million BBC's out there, a vast array of relatively cheap, proven parts and builders that know how to tune them. I'm not knocking the V-10. I'm just saying that it's not my personal preference. There are tradeoffs if you go the staggered route. I'd listen carefully to the builder as he explains the pros/cons. There are a lot of nice boats out there. My opinion is that the Slingshot is a great boat for the Great Lakes. Having said that, I've been in some ugly stuff on those lakes (the Lake Erie poker run comes to mind) where my blood was messing up the nice white cockpit. Knee and elbow pads definitely will help. Just my opinions for what they are worth...

Quick Reply: New 388 Slingshot questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.