Dennis Ferrara Engines >

Dennis Ferrara Engines

Notices

Dennis Ferrara Engines

Old 02-05-2009, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Also....

There was an economic downturn in 90/91 that put the hurt on offShore racing folks. I remember that Dennis had a new engine at the Miami Boat Show. A MerCruiser 600 cu/in casted engine block, with aluminium Pontiac heads that dynoed out at 1100 HP., naturally aspirated and ran on lowtest unleaded fuel....

I will be back with much more info, as I am still trying to learn more myself here, can't even upload an avatar??

trfour

Last edited by trfour; 02-05-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Smarty
He was a Long Island, NY engine guy. He had some naturally aspirated motors that supposedly made 900 hp, 622 cu. in. The only set I ever saw where in a 38' Fountain, it took a while but the motors got sorted out. I am not sure he is still in business, we are talking the late 80's. He used to advertise in Powerboat back then.
He had a 900 all aluminum something silly like 700 inches.

I took a few rides in 36 Fever with his power. It was the loudest thing I ever heard on the water. It ran well. The boat was sold never to hear about it again. It must have been Late '88 or '89.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:14 AM
Registered

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

Picked up an 84 Sutphen in 86 with twin 500hp engines in it that Dennis built, basically just some warmed up 454's. bought the boat @ Offshore Speed and Ski in Stonington Conn. she now has some 540's makin 640hp a side and doin just fine !

Last edited by I'CE; 03-23-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

I knew a guy named Jim Ariola from Chicago. He bought a 1985/86 32' Hustler LE with Arneson drives and a pair of Dennis Ferrara's 550cid/650hp engines---the boat was supposed to break 100mph.

The next year Jim then upgraded to a pair of Ferrara's 598cid/and ALLEGED 745hp engines. Ferrara was making these HP claims with hydraulic FLAT tappet cams and GM rectangle heads that had some porting work. Jim ended up having one of his supposed 745hp engines dyno tested and it was nothing near the HP that Ferrara was advertising. Jim never bought anymore engines from Ferrara from that point on.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:19 AM
bor
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KAAMA
I knew a guy named Jim Ariola from Chicago. He bought a 1985/86 32' Hustler LE with Arneson drives and a pair of Dennis Ferrara's 550cid/650hp engines---the boat was supposed to break 100mph.

The next year Jim then upgraded to a pair of Ferrara's 598cid/and ALLEGED 745hp engines. Ferrara was making these HP claims with hydraulic FLAT tappet cams and GM rectangle heads that had some porting work. Jim ended up having one of his supposed 745hp engines dyno tested and it was nothing near the HP that Ferrara was advertising. Jim never bought anymore engines from Ferrara from that point on.

Kaama,

Is that a red boat ?
If so then it,s for sale for again spoked several times whit the owner about the boat ,but can't get to a deal ,I like the arnesons on the boat specialy for my diesel power .

he got also a 388 slingshot for sale
Old 10-01-2009, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by bor
Kaama,

Is that a red boat ?
If so then it,s for sale for again spoked several times whit the owner about the boat ,but can't get to a deal ,I like the arnesons on the boat specialy for my diesel power .

he got also a 388 slingshot for sale
The boat was once ALL BLACK. Jim always used to tell me that boat was/is very dangerous with the Arneson drives. He once barely escaped a very potentialy dangerous accident with that boat as he jumped the wake of a cruiser in the summer of 1987 out on Lake Michigan (near Michigan City)---he and his girlfriend were in the boat at the time. He said he crossed over the cruiser's wake perfectly, but the boat reacted in a totally different way than he expected...and it threw he and his girlfriend right out of the boat over the dash/helmstation---he had to have his elbow stitched up. But I remember him telling me that it could have been much worse and they were barely able to hang on without falling in the water. And I can tell you by experience Jim was a very SAFE and experienced offshore boater---I rode in his Hustler many times. In fact, he raced a 33' cat in the APBA circuit for 2 years and it was during that time when he owned the Hustler. It was later that Fall that Jim sold the Hustler and bought a 38' Cougar with #4SSM's.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:38 PM
Registered

I just got a Ferrara bbc ALL ALUMINUM 825 H-P the air cleaners says this engine has fully ported darts.jesel shaft rockers,solid roller cam,donovan 500 wet block with steel caps,4.625 bore don't know the stroke guessing a bryant crank my crank says BRC4 on the other end MRC 2604 DEP. has nice looking steel rods maybe crower or carrillo or oliver ,venollia flat top pistons a beautiful big ass Moroso aluminum wet pan with 2 sets of trap doors,team G with extened runners and some epoxy work and intake spacer plates so for sure must be a tall deck,1150 dom. carb anybody know much about this engine like what stroke and rod length ?THIS ENGINE IS 4 SALE

Last edited by nycmikie; 10-19-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:16 PM
Registered

hi tryfor i just signed up for this site read your inquirie can be reached @dragsterden@gmail .com still building killer street cars and motorcycles with my son

Last edited by dennis ferrara; 10-25-2010 at 02:44 PM. Reason: delete
Old 10-25-2010, 02:17 PM
Registered

Default dennis ferrara

hi tryfor i just signed up for this site read your inquirie can be reached @dragsterden@gmail .com still building killer street cars and motorcycles with my son

Last edited by dennis ferrara; 10-25-2010 at 03:03 PM. Reason: delete duplicate
Old 10-25-2010, 02:31 PM
Registered

hi nycmikie just signed up for this site noticed your older inquirie the specs on that engine are 4.625x4.625 622cu had many satisfied customers that ran them for yrs no problems economy put me out in 2001 my son still has that engine in a firebird since 2000 with big chief heads killer streeet car 950 hp reg gas

Quick Reply: Dennis Ferrara Engines

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.